How to Use DIRMS

What is Dirms?

Dirms stands for Do It Right Microsoft. Dirms is a command line hard drive defragmenter, it has no bulky gui and runs in the background with no interfence at all. It makes a much better job then any other defragmenter i've seen but so many people have not heard of this. You have now!

Download

You can download dirms here.

Download

How to Use

Dirms is easier than i thought it would be.

Simply download the exe file and place it into the root of the c:\ drive.

1 : Start - Run - Type "cmd" without quotes.

15ob.jpg

2 : Now type "cd c:\" That changes our directory to the c drive.

3 : The help file for dirms can be found by typing this command "dirms /?"

25ua1.jpg

4 : To defragment my c drive I would type the following "dirms c -q" Press enter and watch it go.

31mm.jpg

The -q switch means to move the file fast. Well thats my guide on dirms. Other switches and functions can be found with dirms /? I hope you love the big performance gain at the end, I certainly did!

dirms <drive letter> [DEFRAG, COMPACT, COMFRAG <filename>, MOVE] [-q]
[COMFRAG PARAMS = filename]
[MOVE PARAMS = LCN, DATE]
-q means do it quickly, don't wait until the free space bitmap is updated.

BLUE -  the command	 Black -  the explanation

dirms c -q   :  Do free space evaluation, defragment, and quickly move files to the front of the drive 
dirms c DEFRAG -q : Defragment files only 
dirms c CoMpAcT -q : C ompact only 
dirms c COMFRAG -q : Perform partial compaction (quickly) on all fragmented files 
dirms c COMFRAG c:\filename.exe   : Perform partial compaction on one file 
dirms c move date -q : Move files according to modification dates, and do it quickly
dirms c move lcn : Try to free space at the bottom of the drive (moves files toward the front of the drive)

Edited by Popcorned

There is no way in hell I would trust a random EXE file posted on a public forum to defragment my files. God only knows who wrote it or how much they know about programming, algorithms, file systems, or any other relative topic.

Why is there a "slow mode"? :huh: Every feature or "mode" of any software application has its pros and cons; there must be some pros to this slow mode that the fast mode doesn't have... What are they?

This is the VBS script I use to defrg all my hard drives, it uses the built in MS defrag, I have it set to be min

size.

Const Hidden = 0, Normal = 1, Min = 2, Max =3
  Dim Act : Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
  Dim Fso : Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
  Dim Df : Set Df = Fso.Drives
   For Each strDf in Df
	If strDf.DriveType = 2 Then
	Act.Run("Defrag " & strDf & "\  -F"),Min,True
	End If
   Next