Sony to cut down on UMD movie releases

Sony to cut down on UMD movie releases

Well, the bright side of PSP sales may not have been as bright as we had assumed. Sony plans to cut back on the titles they bring over to the UMD format, the average number of units sold for movies on the platform just isn't high enough to support as many movie releases as they had been doing.

It makes sense, some genres will do better on UMD than others. The PSP seems suited for comedies and television compilations, but can you really imagine watching something epic and large in scope on the small screen? Do you really want a US$20 copy of Goodfellas? No one seems to think so, that title was pulled from the release schedule.

Unlike Sony, I don't think a TV out device is the answer to UMD sales. I think being more selective about the titles they release and also doing the bundles where you can get the DVD and the UMD for one price is the answer. Of course, being able to rip my own DVDs for the cost of a memory card also makes more sense to me, although this Variety article calls that practice "illegal." Pshaw.

I think UMD movies have a bright future, but I don't think every movie should see a UMD release. I just can't see the UMD getting accepted widely enough that a movie should get the port as a matter of course.

Source: Ars Technica

ugh, hand-held gaming...always a turn-off. oh well, i wish them all the best for the initiative but you're right, there's only so much movie-watching prowess in a tiny screen like that.

Well it's been an impressive format considering the failures of betamax and minidisc. People were never going to warm to the idea of having to buy UMDs and DVDs of the same movie, so the bundles will be a good idea.

The thing they could do, which I think they are doing with select titles, is to just bundle a UMD with Sony Movies only or whoever else wants to. And I do agree with selectivity, I wouldn't wanna watch The Matrix or Lord of the Rings on my PSP.