[Olympics] Why You DON'T Showboat Like an Ass

I'm sure plenty of people heard about this story already. I first heard it on the radio at work. If not, well it's a dandy. Lindsey Jacobellis had the women's snowboard cross gold medal locked with an apparently insurmountable lead. Then she did something all sports stars get tempted to do when they think they have something sealed. She decided to showboat and do a grab trick on the second-to-last jump of the course. The result? She fell on her ass and lost that previously thought insurmountable lead. In an ESPN.com article she gets deservedly drubbed and compared to Leon Lett, among others. Just one more reason to hate showboating. She cost the U.S. a gold medal it should have had locked up and though that part upsets me, she got what she deserved.

Edited by bigbluepride35

Yeah I saw that, sorry for your country, but I laughed my ass off... I would have if it happened to any other country too. That was just pure selfishness.

Hmm... Sure she shouldn't have done it, but meh, she still got Silver. Perhaps it's killing her that she should have the gold, but by the looks of it, doesn't seem to bother her... People will laugh at her, but she seems like a decently successful athlete regardless. If I was leading by that much, I probably would've done the same thing :p

Well you know the say...**** happens. She probably just got too excited and what not, and couldn't resist having a little more fun. Sure it's the same, but not everything goes the way it's supposed to. Like look at the Canadians as well, Ricker had the best qualifying and she caught an edge going off the jump and completely wiped out. Sometimes things don't always turn out like you expect. Although, yeah, if I was her, I for sure would've just coasted my way down nice and easy and not risk it doing something stupid...ah well...live and learn.

Anyone got a video? I've got to see this :woot:! What a dumbass :no:

NBC just showed the last run. She goofed. It happens. She was smoking them pretty bad. Lucky for her two of the boarders wiped out, one early then the other flew through a fence, it was crazy.

Haven't seen it myself, would luv to see it.

However, I think the winter olympics is better than the summer olympics, GBR blew a medal in the Mens skeleton yesterday, we may have a chance in the curling and the medal we got was in the Womens skeleton.

If I had the time I could watch in all day, Bobsleigh 2 and 4, I like the most, but the Mens snowboarding 1/8 finals was magic, can't believe though some dude cuts up seriously some other dude (I know you are allowed to cut up on the ground) and doesn't qualify and he is hugging his victor, amazing.

I would like to see Mens bare-chest sliding around the skeleton course, that would be good.

Oh man, it says it can't be shown in my country! Any way to get around that?

Same problem here. Damn so annoying.

But I think I saw it happen anyway...completely idiot. Deserved to be disqualified for stupidity.

I watched the entire replay of the race last night just to see the debacle in all it's glory. I'm ashamed, I really am. To me, it's a sign of disrespect to not only the other girls she was racing against but also the sport itself. It's like a baseball player walking all the way to first base after a home run or something.

She had the race won from the beginning and would have won even if those other girls didn't scrub out. Terrible.

aw come on. if i ever went to the olympics, it would be because i have fun doing what i do. you can'T blame her for having fun! the basic objective of these olympics are to tell who has the best fun doing their sport, for all i care :)

Yeah, I was watching that on TV. As she starting gaining a bigger lead, I was thinking "she's going to get this cocky attitude and blow it", and sure enough a few seconds later she started showing off and fell. I'm sure she's upset at herself enough without me laughing, but I did anyway.

well i give her props to make snowboard cross a little more interesting

and plus, if she had gotten gold, there would have been nothing of this talk about her showing off.

I watched this last night and laughed my ass off, such a bad time to show off! Can any friendly Americans package this video up so the rest of us on the other side of the pond can enjoy it please?

I'm sure plenty of people heard about this story already. I first heard it on the radio at work. If not, well it's a dandy. Lindsey Jacobellis had the women's snowboard cross gold medal locked with an apparently insurmountable lead. Then she did something all sports stars get tempted to do when they think they have something sealed. She decided to showboat and do a grab trick on the second-to-last jump of the course. The result? She fell on her ass and lost that previously thought insurmountable lead. In an ESPN.com article she gets deservedly drubbed and compared to Leon Lett, among others. Just one more reason to hate showboating. She cost the U.S. a gold medal it should have had locked up and though that part upsets me, she got what she deserved.

DUMB BIT....... yea this sucks