Making PlayStation 2 output to a stereo?

Plug the red and white wires from the PS2 into the red and white female connectors on your stereo, or you could get a stereo that has optical in and plug the optical cable into the stereo.

Plug the red and white wires from the PS2 into the red and white female connectors on your stereo, or you could get a stereo that has optical in and plug the optical cable into the stereo.

Simple as eh? Cheers.

You can also open up a scart plug and solder a phono lead to pins 1 Audio right out & 3 Audio left (or mono) out

SCART.gif

If for some reason you wanted to.

Yeah, it is pretty simple. It starts to get annoying depending on your setup, like if you wanted it to play audio from the TV and stereo.

Some stereo's have an output of their own so that anything that goes through the stereo can also be passed on to the TV, and vice versa some TV's have the red and white plugs so that anything currently playing on the TV can be output to a stereo. If you're not worried about the TV playing the audio then the cheapest way would be to just cut the red and white wires away from the yellow one so you could plug them into different devices, but if you're wanting the capaiblity for the audio to come from both the TV and stereo you have to get creative.

I feel the most elegant, yet also the most expensive is to get a good stereo receiver that accepts video and audio sources. I have a Sony receiver that accepts composite/Svideo/Component on 3 different inputs, along with digital(coax and optical) and stereo(red and white) for all the inputs. Then it has an output that goes straight to the TV. I like this setup because everything goes straight into the receiver and then straight to the TV, and instead of using the TV to switch to cable/Playstation/Xbox you switch the inputs on the receiver which remembers each inputs settings.

Now it gets annoying if you don't have a cable box, because then you have to use the stereo remote for the DVD player and playstation or whatever, but then switch back to the TV remote to watch cable. A universal remote alleviates that somewhat however.

I dunno though it might be as simple as plugging the red and white into the stereo if all you want is the stereo to play the audio but if you want the TV to do it as well or something more extravagent we'd have to know everything you want plugged into the TV and how many inputs you have and of what types.

I have a problem. The wire that goes from the PS2 to the scart has three colors, red, white and yellow. I know yellow stays in the scart, but it's pretty much joined onto the red and white plugs. I can't get the stereo and TV that close :/

Any ideas?

I have a problem. The wire that goes from the PS2 to the scart has three colors, red, white and yellow. I know yellow stays in the scart, but it's pretty much joined onto the red and white plugs. I can't get the stereo and TV that close :/

Any ideas?

1) Rip the video cable off the a/v cable [not recommended]

or

2)Get a seperate yellow video cable. :yes:

This is how I have it set up (screenshot attached)...

No sound comes through my stereo though :/ (it's in Video/AUX mode)

post-645-1140967768.gif

Is there a way without splitting the wire that plugs into the PS2? It's not mine, I'm borrowing it.

Edited by King Mustard

From what i'm seeing in the diagram, all I can recomend is to buy an extension for the video line.

What's a scart? I really don't know since I don't have one. Is it a modulator?

Very poor design if the stereo needs to be within 10cm of the TV scart for sound through a stereo without pulling apart (therefore ruining) the wire.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive recently hooked up my PS2/Stereo only problem is Ive also got my stereo hooked up to my PC as well so I have to keep messing around the back of the stereo swapping the phono leads...my question is, is there any kind of spiltter/divider that will allow me to plug both my PS2/PC into the stereo without having to swap the leads ?

Thanks