Need PS2 RPGs with strong story...

Well after some time I came to understand why I stop playing most of the RPGs :/ Lack of strong story.

I'm not the guy that maxes his stats and/or collect stuff, I'm in it for the story. I don't mind if game is linear or circular or perpendicular or if the game is tactical RPG or standard one :p I just need big fat story

So give me a few good ones.

P.S. Played FFs, and Xenosagas.

I'm not sure but Xenogears to me is a fat as any storyline you going to get. I mean....wow..

Amen to that !

PSX RPGs were pinacle of my gaming to be honest, sadly I missed most of the 16bit one:(:(

Besides Shadow Hearts 2 mentioned, Dragon Quest VIII has a good story also, but is done in short burts. Other games' stories I liked: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1+2 and Growlanser Generations.

Edited by jmole

Yet another for Dragon Quest VIII...the characters really come alive with the fantastic voice-overs...pretty good voice acting too!

I was very pleased with the ending...I don't think you'll be disappointed, either!

Took 96 hours for me to finish (I did a lot of side quests, though).

Check out Star Ocean 3: Till The End of Time and Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Personally, I thought Star Ocean had the most annoying cutscenes EVER, with terrible voice acting. I just couldn't stand it and it killed the story for me.

Jmole recommended Shadow Hearts: Covenant to me as well. I hear its amazing and the third one that came out, From the New World, is supposedly equally amazing. This is mostly because of the games depth and strong story.

Most of the RPGs out are pretty cliche when it comes to story. DQ8 is a great fun game, but it's also cliche in the story dept.

I'm not big on the whole story side of RPGs, as they all seem to be relatively the same anyway, and I am satisfied by that, so I'll make a few recomendations based on gameplay/fun factor.

Ateleir Iris: Eternal Mana is an awesome little game. It's got a decent story as well. Nice graphics, classic RPG style, and a nice forging system to boot.

Grandia III will not disappoint you in either story, nor gameplay. Though gameplay is its strong point.

Grandia II is better than III, better story, similar gameplay. If you haven't played that already, get it.

Suikoden Tactics, underrated game here. It's based off of Suikoden IV, but don't let that prevent you from getting it. It blows IV out of the water, and is just as good as III I think. Good story, and a classic Suikoden feel, but with a tactical twist.