[Review] Windows Live Messenger

The new Windows Live Messenger.

Worth the upgrade? Better than MSN Messenger? Easier to use?

N.B: For you review critics out there I'm aware Windows Live Messenger is in pre-release beta stages, and that this review may not reflect an opinion of the final product.

I’ve decided to write up a review on Windows Live Messenger (Beta). Overall it’s ‘Okay’, and has some cool new features like Offline Messaging but I prefer MSN Messenger 7.5.

New Contacts Window

The contacts Windows has had some changes applied to it:

• You can change the colour of the personal settings area at the top of the contacts list.

• A new search bar at the top of the contacts list allows you to easily find contacts on your list.

• When hovering over contacts in the contact list, you get more details about the specific contact and have new shortcut buttons to send emails and start video conversations. This feature can be turned off.

• The advertisement window is located slightly higher up on the contacts window, making it more noticeable.

Verdict: In personal opinion I think the new contact window is a little bloated, and I prefer the user interface of MSN Messenger. 7 out of 10

contactlist7vh.th.jpg

New Conversation Window

There are not any significant changes with the conversation window when comparing it to MSN Messenger 7.5. Its appearance and layout is a little more simplistic, however less compact. The MSN Messenger conversation window seemed more spacious.

Verdict: I think the conversation window MSN Messenger has a larger messaging area which is important when having conversations. Needs improvement, 5 out of 10

convwindow1xr.th.jpg

New Add Contact Window

Whatever happened to the simple ‘Type e-mail address and click add’ concept?

I guess it’s a similar idea but now you’ve a lot of additional options; such as typing notes about the contact, and their additional contact details such as telephone number and address.

Verdict: I prefer simple and streamline. I don’t even think I’d use all these extra features. 5 out of 10

Connectivity

Unfortunately I’ve been disconnected from Messenger on many occasions, usually when I’m idle. I’ve had a few connectivity issues with MSN Messenger 7.5, but it was no where near as bad as Windows Live Messenger. Hopefully this won’t occur in the final version. :sleep:

I think the beta versions of MSN Messenger 7 were more stable than Windows Live Messenger beta.

Additional New Features:

Video Carousel

Instead of having plain JPEG and animated GIF’s in the advertisement window, you can have a much larger video-based advertisement instead! Luckily you have the option disable this feature.

Time-Stamp Messages

Some messenger users might find this feature useful. Windows Live Messenger can stamp the time when a message is received to the message in the conversation window. Again, you can turn this feature off.

Offline Messages

Very neat! Send and receive messages when your (appearing) offline. When receiving offline messages, you have the option of having your offline messages appear instantly or stored until you click on a button in the contacts list window. Offline messages can be sent to contacts using MSN Messenger 7.

Overall

It looks good, it’s a bit bloated and there better be mess patch to remove the advertisements when Windows Live Messenger becomes final. Oh and the new Windows Live Messenger icon is sexy. lol. :whistle:

lol, this is a early buggy build, so you cant really rate it, + its a beta so you again cant rate it to its full potential?

So how have you given it a rating?

Interesting review. If you have true acces to build 0562 I would like to see your review of that one.

What you think of my review of Windows defender? Since they are two new products of Microsoft/MSN I think they go hand in hand.

only real diffrence that i can see between the builds is the look

i disabled the File Sharing as it wasnt getting used ( only 1 of my contact's has WLM )

*Edit *

The Offline messaging is mainly for sending messages to people offline ( aka ICQ), as if you send a msg when your showing as offline, and they get it, well, they will know your online

post-36462-1140711284_thumb.jpg

It use too much system resource and the contact list has a language problem with non english language. And about the interface I dont like it much. I would still use the 7.5 stable and better interface.

can someone tell me without a doubt, if you can/cannot send an offline message to someone who has blocked you?

i mean if you can, does that not completly null and void even being able to block someone?

i can't actually test this one out myself but i'd like to think the messenger team would keep it as a 'actually offline'/'appearing offline' feature and have them bank up if the person has you blocked.

lol, this is a early buggy build, so you cant really rate it, + its a beta so you again cant rate it to its full potential?

So how have you given it a rating?

N.B: For you review critics out there I'm aware Windows Live Messenger is in pre-release beta stages, and that this review may not reflect an opinion of the final product.

In future, how about you read the first few sentences of the post before replying? :rolleyes:

can someone tell me without a doubt, if you can/cannot send an offline message to someone who has blocked you?

i mean if you can, does that not completly null and void even being able to block someone?

i can't actually test this one out myself but i'd like to think the messenger team would keep it as a 'actually offline'/'appearing offline' feature and have them bank up if the person has you blocked.

I'd be interested to know too. Whats stopping you from testing it but? Just ask a friend to block you for 60 secs in which time send them some messages and ask them if they received them. Nothing to hard about that???

its not released yet, it will be sometime tonight

It was indeed, just got my update this morning. Man they are going backwards instead of forward. I am not going to nag about the main window/conversation window (i could go on for hours) but the systembar icons are just the old again! :( I loved the new ones.

The rollover thing in your contactsmenu is also gone, I loved that feature to. I want to downgrade. :(