why are apple laptops so expensive?

Well maybe for some people $1000 isn't a lot, but for most it is and especially students.

I agree you get what you pay for, but why don't they consider doing a budget line? It makes sense considering a lot of people are put off by being unfamiliar with them, and the price tag doesn't really encourage first timers to buy.

I'm a student too..... I just order MacBook Pro 17"..... :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

1. because apple can

2. because it is proprietary and only apple make them

3. because all of the hardware is pretty much gauranteed to work but if you bought a windows machine there would be conflicts and hardware might not work together

just my point of view

It's not the fact that Apple are more Expensive it's that all the PC makers are constantly competing with each-other and driving down there prices frequently. Everyone else is Cheap and cutting there profit margins very very slim and riding the Volume sale wave to cut bread.

Apple updates there products roughly every 6 or 12 months. They don't mark down prices they either Increase them or add features to there current product line and keep the price the same. They have no competition in the OS X sector they are competing with no other PC Manufacturers. The only competition they have is from Microsoft Windows and Linux they don't see OEM PC builders as a foundation market.

Because of this they charge what they want and do what they want. If you want a cheap PC then Apple is not the place to look.

Why would anyone *not* want iLife? It's an excellent addition to OS X, and it's among the best software in its class. In fact, people have bemoaned the lack of such a suite for Windows.

I'm will to bet more than 50% of the computer users don't want/need it.

I'm not editing movies.

I'm not recording music.

I'm not making websites.

I'm not editing photo (and if I was, I'd use Photoshop).

In fact, most people aren't.

Why not make iLife an option instead of shoving it down our throats? I'd save me $100 - $150 off the sticker price of a MacBook.

cause it's the mighty apple *bows*

charge $3000 for a crappy lappy apple fans will pay

PC fanboys: "Apple hardware is too expensive. I can build a better system in half the price."

Yes. But can you build it in the same form factor? Is there a price difference between a Dell laptop and a VAIO? Why is that? Think it through. Don't just fall for stereotypes.

Mac fanboys: "PC hardware are crap/low quality."

Again, stereotypes. I've built many DIY systems and I would be offended if someone told me that these PCs were low quality. After all I chose the parts myself and assembled the PC myself. Alright, but maybe I'm just biased right? Since we're talking about my DIY stuff here. How about those VAIOs again? Are they low quality?

Off topic, but regarding your signature: it is important for browsers to be standards compliant. You, as a user, don't see much difference while browsing with different browsers because some poor web developer/designer has had to deal with CSS hacks to beat IE into submission. They shouldn't have to. Luckily for us, Microsoft knows how much web developers hate IE and they're working to rectify that in version 7.

What's lacking in most forum discussions is empathy. The is almost always more than one side to any given story/argument. If people recognise that, we wouldn't have to rehash the same thing over and over again.

Folks, admit it already. It's just a better computer, from the exterior form to the interior quaility.

Plus, it runs OS X. Legally. Easily. That alone is reason enough. Also runs Windows, too. Even more reason.

So drink the Kool-Aid, you know you want to, and enjoy a better overall computing experience.

If you are a professional video producer, music producer you will not be using windows. These are 2 very creative things, you have companies like Avid, dedicated to Apple, making hardware run hand in hand with Pro Tools, possibly the best music editing software in the world, all designed for Macs. You have Final Cut which is a very industry standard software for video editing, same with acid, all dedicated to Macs. Windows has none of that.

It doesnt make you more productive but the programs designed for Macs are for people into that stuff, which tend to be creative people, and you obviously want to do it good, Macs help you do it good, like i said, you have companies dedicated to Apple making the best software in the world for these creative hobbies/jobs, where as you dont for windows.

You are comparing a 17" system with a 15" system, thats Apples mid model, not the top end, before you compare wait till Apple release the full line, the 17" model.

Hi-Def movie editing, wait with what software? No company will use that, or any person who is into that when you have the best software in the world to do it. Whats the point in having that when the software provided is poor and horrible.

That's strange :blink: . I work in the multimedia industry and most of them use a PC instead of a Mac. I've worked briefly at BBDO, an international advertising company and the only software they used on a Mac is mostly Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. For the most part, most of the work is completed on a PC. Even the most advance facility for 3D rendering in the region of South East Asia, the MSC Vision Centre uses PC's.

I've used Apple before for my work, and frankly there is no difference in the Mac version compared to the Windows version of a certain software, though I prefer to work in Windows. Using LightWave in Mac might have a bit of an advantage because of the codecs that they provide but that can be easily replicated in Windows. Sony Sound Forge is also not available for Mac and I rather use that for my work.

I think for me, the Mac is for a different type of people, where they want everything to look beautiful and function well. Considering the price you are paying, they had better hope it function well :laugh: . I have to admit that the design department for Macs is top notch, but now PC manufacturers are catching up and churning out designs that rival Apple. The Acer Ferrari 4000, HP Pavilion dv2000 and the Asus Lamborghini notebook are just a few starting to focus more on design and beauty. But then the Apple offer many accessories that PC's do not have such as the illuminating keyboard which I believe all PC manufacturers should implement, the scrolling touchpad and MagSafe.

All in all, Macs are much more expensive than PCs because you are ultimately paying for some extras that you may or may not need and the use of the brand name on the product. It was the same when Sony release the Triniton a few years back. There were a lot of comparable products that rival the Triniton but people bought it because of the name. Same with Apple, I guess ;) . Plus, the Apple marketing, no matter how much misinformation that others would like to admit, are really good at their job :D .

PSG22

Youre paying more for the brand than anything, you can buy and build things cheaper that are usually better quality but are lesser known brands. People continue to think oooh shiny and omg Apple, and the sheep that follow trends just follow.

Please backup your opinions with facts and studies...

"Mac-using professionals spent far more hours per week -- 19 vs. 13 -- in actual, billable authoring time; Windows users spent more of their time tied up in such activities as training, support, data communications and file management." and "Mac-using creative professionals produce $26,441 more in annual revenue and $14,488 more in net profit for their employers than Windows users of comparable skill engaged in similar work. New Power Macs pay for themselves in four and a half months, on average, compared with about 13 months for Windows based systems. And over three years, Power Macs generate more than a sevenfold ROI; for Windows, the return is barely double." [Return of Investment Tech Brief]

Also check out

http://www.macworld.com/news/2002/06/13/deal/

http://www.macvspc.info/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,87189,00.asp

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/10/1065676145670.html

Youre paying more for the brand than anything, you can buy and build things cheaper that are usually better quality but are lesser known brands. People continue to think oooh shiny and omg Apple, and the sheep that follow trends just follow.

Then ... why do people who have used windows, say they'd never go back, once they've use a mac???

I really want to switch to a apple but i just simply cant, i need seemless transition between, photoshop (design webpages), dreamweaver(write html and CSS) and Visual Studio .Net 2005 (where i paste all my html code created in dreamweaver(i like dreamweaver editor better :p )), anyways, i really want to switch but having to restart(with bootCamp) everytime i want to take my code from dreamweaver to VS.NEt is just not an option, im still debating what to do, but i will prolly end up buying a windows based laptop :(

the other thing to consider with the price is the form factor of their laptops, a lot of the dell etc.. equivalents are a lot heavier, bulkier and bigger. Ultra slim devices from manufacturers such as Sony are usually the same price as apple notebooks, and even then they are not usually made from aluminum.

However thats how the world works, some people like devices/objects which are styled in a certain way, it's the reason why we are not all driving the same car.

To put your statement in perspective, one could apply the same to just about anything:

1) Call Windows users sheep because they conform with 95% of the world in their use of the Windows OS.

2) Call Linux users RMS sheep just because they use an open source OS whose kernel is licensed under the GPL, a license championed by the FSF.

These stereotypes serve no useful purpose other than to fan the flames on bulletin boards.

Then ... why do people who have used windows, say they'd never go back, once they've use a mac???

I started off on Windows, used a Mac for about six months (and got utterly sick of the steaming pile of c@ck that is Mac OS) and went back to Windows. Never looked back since.

Is it just me, or are 90% of Mac users glazed-eyed, fixed-grinning Scientologist-like cult members?? Just cos you lot think it's better, doesn't make it true. It's called an opinion.

Don't believe the Hype?. There is nothing that a Mac can do that a PC can't. On the contrary, PCs are on 95% of the world's domestic desktops and on 99.9% of the world's business desktops. That is all the proof you should need. If Macs really were that good for the price, they'd be everywhere. Besides, you never know what you might want to use your laptop for in the future, and all the power and flexibility for experimentation lies with PCs, not with the miniscule niche of Macs. Apple's motto should be "You are free to do what we let you".

Rule of thumb: If you want to learn a truely powerful OS, use Linux. If you want the greatest flexibility, compatibility and the widest range of software for the most competitive prices, use PCs. If you want to be an elitist, poncey a*sehole, buy a Mac. Then take your trousers down, bend over and let Steve Jobs rip you a new one. Then go and buy yourself a pink shirt, a scarf, a beret and a latte. Then go and kill yourself.

Please backup your opinions with facts and studies...

"Mac-using professionals spent far more hours per week -- 19 vs. 13 -- in actual, billable authoring time; Windows users spent more of their time tied up in such activities as training, support, data communications and file management." and "Mac-using creative professionals produce $26,441 more in annual revenue and $14,488 more in net profit for their employers than Windows users of comparable skill engaged in similar work. New Power Macs pay for themselves in four and a half months, on average, compared with about 13 months for Windows based systems. And over three years, Power Macs generate more than a sevenfold ROI; for Windows, the return is barely double." [Return of Investment Tech Brief]

Also check out

http://www.macworld.com/news/2002/06/13/deal/

http://www.macvspc.info/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,87189,00.asp

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/10/1065676145670.html

I'll take all of that with a grain of salt, considering that some of the reports were from 4 to 5 years ago, and we have already achieved much in that time frame :yes: . I tend to not believe in analysts as they tend to be wrong a LOT of time, hence the PS3 price point fiasco :laugh: .

I have to say however that it's high time everyone get off their high horse and settle down, and just accept that it is not the computer that makes the ideas, it's you who does. You can go all you want and say that Apple is god and what not, but the fact of the matter is that it's just a piece of machinery, design to aid and help you in your social and working life. Just like a car is suppose to get you from A to B and back to A. Apple makes good hardware and software for the consumer market. FULL STOP. Not everyone likes to use Apple, just like not everyone prefers to use Windows or Linux. As we have a choice to choose which hardware and software we want, we should use it and coexist happily, instead of bickering on who has the better hardware and software, as it will never end.

You may go ahead and say I'm a Windows fanboy or what now, but the fact of the matter is that I rather be free to have a choice in the matter rather than have someone else dictate what I should use in my life. Opinions are fine for that matter, but it doesn't have to go into all out war for who wins the most switchers. Let us all just be happy and thankful for what we have as you have to remember, not everyone can afford a computer, let alone an Apple.

the other thing to consider with the price is the form factor of their laptops, a lot of the dell etc.. equivalents are a lot heavier, bulkier and bigger. Ultra slim devices from manufacturers such as Sony are usually the same price as apple notebooks, and even then they are not usually made from aluminum.

However thats how the world works, some people like devices/objects which are styled in a certain way, it's the reason why we are not all driving the same car.

Agreed, Dell is usually heavy and their designs don't exactly amount to much. I like my notebooks black :laugh: , that's why I'm looking at the new MacBook very hard though I doubt it. I probably get a HP as they've got some nice notebooks :yes: . Sony may be the same price as Apple but considering you're probably limiting yourself to Sony products i.e. Memory Stick, I rather have an Apple MacBook Pro, though 2 USB ports is not enough :no: .

PSG22

Just to add something about the iLife suite:

-iPhoto:

I don't share photos. If i need to, i will archive them and send them via p2p or some other way.

New book templates, Photocasting, photo blogs, and custom calendars and cards...

Gimme a break :sleep: Why would i want to do any of that? Reminds me of some infomercials :wacko:

-iMovie:

I don't own a camera. As for editing video, like for AMV's and similar, it's got too little options.

-iDVD:

I don't own a DVD burner, and if i did, why would i want to burn something as a DVD movie? Even if i would, I've got lots of freeware that does the exact same thing

-Garage Band:

Yeah... RIGHT.

iWeb:

Blog blog bloggidy blog.

It seems to me that all this software is used for people who like blogs and xy-casts such.

I don't care about your diary, I don't care about the pictures of your cat, or your music, and I don't care that you're living your iLife. :pinch:

I suggest you read this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

150$ for 5 useless tools that should belong in a freeware category.

I really wanted to buy an apple laptop, but I only want OSX... no bundled stuff, however, that is impossible. Good thing they didn't include a 500$ iTunes coupon in the price...

Edited by Punio4

I don't share photos…I don't own a camera…I don't own a DVD burner

Why not?

You don't have a camera or dvd burner—are you having trouble finding work or something? they give that stuff away in cereal boxes now—and you complaing about software for editing movies and burning DVDs?

Why don't you complain about the value of Pro:Eng or SolidWorks because you're not an engineeer, or Mathmatica because you're not a grad student?

I don't care about your diary, I don't care about the pictures of your cat, or your music, and I don't care that you're living your iLife

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

You're proving to me how much you dislike blogs by linking to one?

150$ for 5 useless tools that should belong in a freeware category.

iLife sells for $79 new, and is free with every new Macintosh. Educational and developer discounts will reduce that price, as will cupon codes from places like Amazon or Best Buy.

I really wanted to buy an apple laptop, but I only want OSX... no bundled stuff, however, that is impossible.

Fortunately removing iLife is a drag-and-drop operation, as is removing the Office preview, MarbleBlast, and whatever else Apple bundles with the computer you purchase. If you like I'll even write a script that removes the for you. If you really must have a naked install then you can pop in the OS X DVD that ships with every new system and chose to "erase and install" and then "customize" the installation by unchecking some or all iLife components.

Not that I expect any of that to change your mind. I'm sure you'll still complain about a phantom $150 digital-lifestyle tax that you had to pay. While you're at it, why not complain about the Firewire port: it's not like you need it without a DV-camera so that's just Apple screwing you with more useless kit.

Don't believe the Hype?. There is nothing that a Mac can do that a PC can't. On the contrary, PCs are on 95% of the world's domestic desktops and on 99.9% of the world's business desktops. That is all the proof you should need. If Macs really were that good for the price, they'd be everywhere. Besides, you never know what you might want to use your laptop for in the future, and all the power and flexibility for experimentation lies with PCs, not with the miniscule niche of Macs. Apple's motto should be "You are free to do what we let you".

Rule of thumb: If you want to learn a truely powerful OS, use Linux. If you want the greatest flexibility, compatibility and the widest range of software for the most competitive prices, use PCs. If you want to be an elitist, poncey a*sehole, buy a Mac. Then take your trousers down, bend over and let Steve Jobs rip you a new one. Then go and buy yourself a pink shirt, a scarf, a beret and a latte. Then go and kill yourself.

The near-ubiquity of PCs has absolutely nothing to do with how good they are (we're talking Windows here.) The reason Windows market-share is where it is today is because of licensing decisions (and licensing mistakes made by the competition) long ago. It was a management issue.

The near-ubiquity of PCs has absolutely nothing to do with how good they are (we're talking Windows here.) The reason Windows market-share is where it is today is because of licensing decisions (and licensing mistakes made by the competition) long ago. It was a management issue.

OSX doesnt play Games though does it, and that is what stops most people from going the OSX route. o you my say, run bootcamp, but then everytime you wanna play a game you have 2 reboot into windows, and then wait for that to boot, and then play.

Also, the gfx chip in the laptop is mediocre at best. you get a laptop with a screen resolution of 1440 x 900, or the equivalant of 1280 x 1024 non wide, and yet try playing with 4xAA and 8xAF on most games, its not going to happen, dont say it will because my 7800GT struggles in some games at those settings.

Also you have licensing issues and other things to consider, such as your licence of photoshop and disc will not work on OSX, nor will macromedia studio.

The laptops are well built, and i think there power connectors are the best around, but with the recent flaws and whines i dont think they justify there price.

The apple has the iPod look to it, and it makes people go oooooo, but if you what serious style and power there are better alternatives available, albiet more expensive.

OSX doesnt play Games though does it

Sure it does, I've got world of warcraft open in another window right now.

Maybe you meant to say "There are more games written to work on Windows than there are to work on OS X"?

I'm sure the quantity of games for a given operating system is very important to many people: they best served by a computer that can run Windows. For people that are also interested in OS X-only applications, they are best served by a computer that runs Mac OS X. MacBook Pro and iMac are computers that may satisfy both kinds of user, other brands will only meet the needs of people that are satisfied with Windows-only applications.

The apple has the iPod look to it, and it makes people go oooooo, but if you what serious style and power there are better alternatives available, albiet more expensive.

So what exactly are my replacements for Omnigraffle, Textmate, Applescript, and .Mac syncing?

I'm sure I could jerry-rig up something that works 'well enough', but I have yet to find tools that let me accomplish the same things even half as fast.

You can measure power in bogomips and gigaquads if you want, I prefer to measure it by how much I can get done in a given period of time.

apple is expensive cuz its a premium product. that is it.

it's like asking why are ferrari's so expensive, or why doesn't rolex make a 30 bucks watch?

you might not think that apple is a premiun product, but it certainly is: Apple goes beyond just selling their product.

they actually take time to design it to be functional (as all others) and at the same time aestethically pleasant (like few), as steve jobs said, thay bring culture to its products.

What this means is that if you have the money and would appreciate how integrated the product is, then you will probably like apple stuff, if on the other hand, you don't have the money or are price-concious, then you probably wont like it.

a perfect proof of this is that most people who complain about apple are kids and teenagers, grown-ups and more mature people (not that pc users are inmature) appreciate better the non-commercial side of the value of apple products.