More about Barry Bonds than we already knew

What can they do, really? The problem is that Barry Bonds wasn't the only guy using steroids at the time (or probably even now). I mean, if you take away his records don't you have to go to each pitcher who gave up a homerun and take that from the pitcher's stats? You can't say something doesn't count and only half-ass it.

I concluded in my mind 2 years ago that he was using something to enhance his performance (I've watched Bonds intently since 1993 when he came to San Francisco) and his physique from the '99 season compared to 2000 was just ridiculous. But after reading that article about how he used Mark McGwire as a reason to start using I seriously question his integrity to himself, the game of baseball, and to the fans. Granted, players don't need to care about fans (as much as we believe they should) but I do believe they should hold their particular sport with integrity and responsiblity. And as far as Bonds' integrity to the game, I think he is in a special situation given the fact that his father played the game as well as his Godfather Willie Mays, one of the greatest players ever. To cheat the game is cheating his life, which is unfortunate.

Barry Bonds is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer and has been in my mind even before his supposed steroid use. Through 1998 he had a great career, claimed himself to several MVP awards, Gold Gloves, etc. His ego and jealousy got the better of him after seeing McGwire in 1998 and it's a shame. Going from pre-'98 Bonds to current Bonds, that story was hard to read...it was like a tale of two totally different people.

What can they do, really? The problem is that Barry Bonds wasn't the only guy using steroids at the time (or probably even now). I mean, if you take away his records don't you have to go to each pitcher who gave up a homerun and take that from the pitcher's stats? You can't say something doesn't count and only half-ass it.

They won't do anything to the records outside of whispering in the same breath "however, those were the years when baseball went through the steroid era" or something of the sort...likenit to a big gigantic asterisk.

This book should really suprise no one. His and Rafael Palmeiro's statistics are nearly identical in the later stages of their careers. Those that didn't dope always digress as they get older...not increase performance.

Anyone who says this cheater still never took steroids or HGH is clearly myopic.

Hey now. I severely myopic and I believe that Bonds was on steroids. His connections with Conte and others leads me to that conclusion. I'm not in the throw out the records camp. MLB didn't outlaw performance enhancing drugs, so they should live with the consequences.

MLB didn't outlaw performance enhancing drugs, so they should live with the consequences.

Um right but it was against the law and baseball outlawed banned substances as in drugs, which plaenty of those steroids fall under. SO though it wasn't explicitly written in the by-laws it was against the rules. Personally, I don't care what they do about the records but I don't like the whole "o well he didn't really break the rules since it wasn't explicit so he should get a pass."

Edited by bigbluepride35

What can baseball really do then? I don't think they can just go on the testimony of all the people in the Balco case and the new book and suspend him. MLB didn't drug test at all during Bonds alleged steriod period. So how can they prove he really did use steroids

I read the entire Sports Illustrated thing... what exactly is new? Almost all of the information has already been in the newspapers. The only real new stuff (from what I can tell) is the testimony from his girlfriend. It's still nothing concrete, but it certainly doesn't put him in a good light.

I can't stand Barry Bonds, and I think he took steroids, but these are still just accusations for right now. I hope they can prove them completely soon, though.

• 4 weeks later...

all are accusations, and i think barry is innocent. none of the creams that he was taking were actually banned at the time, nor did he test positive in any of those years (granted, the test test was once a year and pointless)

but what is so rediculious, mark mcguire admitted to using andro, but at the time, was not tested for nor banned from baseball. therefore he did nothihng wrong. i believe barry bonds was right down this same track as mcguire. if he used it today, he would be in the wrong, but if he had used back then, there is no wrong in a substance that was not banned.

None of the creams were banned because none of them were known to exist and how to test for them. The thing is, if he did take them (IF), he knew he was cheating. He knew he was taking some form of steroids. That's enough for me...

None of the creams were banned because none of them were known to exist and how to test for them. The thing is, if he did take them (IF), he knew he was cheating. He knew he was taking some form of steroids. That's enough for me...

either way, i dont know what you would consider cheating? i mean enhancments sold at places like gnc that are not clarified as "steriods" but as enhancments.. im HOPING that bonds didnt use any form of anything that is banned, but if your putting an asterisk by his name, put one besides mcguire's 70 homeruns as well (andro is now banned by MLB) (which is considered a "dietary supplement" not steroids)

Why do you keep trying to make him sound guilty, Scorpio? What he used back when he used it wasn't banned from baseball and if they didn't know about it, who's fault is it? Barry used something that wasn't deemed illegal so he technically isn't guilty of taking steroids intentionally. That's like if you were taking enhancement pills from GNC and two weeks later, they are banned by the FDA because they are considered to be steroids. Does that make you guilty of taking steroids?

Why do you keep trying to make him sound guilty, Scorpio? What he used back when he used it wasn't banned from baseball and if they didn't know about it, who's fault is it? Barry used something that wasn't deemed illegal so he technically isn't guilty of taking steroids intentionally. That's like if you were taking enhancement pills from GNC and two weeks later, they are banned by the FDA because they are considered to be steroids. Does that make you guilty of taking steroids?

Keep trying to make him sound guilty? I'm only repeating what's been stated! Did you even read my posts? Let me quote them for you...

I read the entire Sports Illustrated thing... what exactly is new? Almost all of the information has already been in the newspapers. The only real new stuff (from what I can tell) is the testimony from his girlfriend. It's still nothing concrete, but it certainly doesn't put him in a good light.

I can't stand Barry Bonds, and I think he took steroids, but these are still just accusations for right now. I hope they can prove them completely soon, though.

The stuff he is reported to take isn't enhancements, it's not anything like stuff you can get at GNC. It's steroids.

I have never said he is guilty. I never tried to make him sound guilty. Do I think he's guilty? Yup. But I'm not saying he is. I never once even came close to saying that. Stop putting words in my mouth. I don't like Bonds. You can defend him all you want, but the thing is, his situation is nothing like the situation you described. It's not like he went into the local GNC and got supplements. If everything is true, he went to a known steroid-dealer and asked for undetectable steroids. There is a large difference between that and supplemental pills.