Intel Invents 5GHz Stock Cooler

^^ yeah i saw that, what does it mean exactly? the fan is too loud? or something else..

Yes that is what it means is the fan is very loud, water is not much advantage over air if you only have 1 12cm rad, its not a hell of a lot different than an xp120 would be if the fins were thinner and more of them.

the advantage to water is when you add more rads because then you add cooling power which is something you can not do with air

I have always been an Intel fan and alsways will, so kudos to them.

A lot of you aren't getting Intel's point. You can *easily* add a larger radiator. The point *Intel* was making is that, even as cheaply as they made it, it *still* cooled a P4 3.8 EE (Presler EE?) sufficiently to where it could run *easily* at a one-third overclocking. The whole WC unit isn't that much larger, radiator and all, than their *existing* stock HSF. (Exactly how much *air* is in their existing Presler retail boxes?) Intel could even have this *replace* air-cooling altogether for the EEs. (True Intel-branded/approved water-cooling included with the processor? AMD hasn't done anything like this!) I can even see this as a value-add for OEMs/system-builders.

62 degrees is rather hot, but it is running at 5Ghz after all

Intel CPU's generally run at about 50 - 70 degrees. AMD CPU's tend to be a bit cooler.

But hell, well done to Intel on coming up with this (Y) :D!

With stuff like this, water cooling might actually become mainstream... in 10 or 20 years. :p

Nah..in 4 years dual core will be common place and Quad Core will be the new dual core. Imagine the heat from that..people will be saying Conroe what? AM2 what? :devil:

And I haven't checked up in water cooling in a while on the overclocking boards. But isn't the problem what to do with the water once it carries the heat? Haha I heard of people warming rooms with it..

It'd be nice if this fit every ATX case, including non-intel processors, but that is very unlikely.

Maybe when I get my new PC next year I can get a TEC Heatsink and get subzero tempatures. :shiftyninja: