NHL Trade Coverage Over the Top

Trade coverage was overkill, but entertaining

Poor analysts had to fill that airtime

Mar. 10, 2006. 01:00 AM

The annual NHL trade deadline day feeding frenzy can be best summed up by paraphrasing Winston Churchill: Never have so many said so much about so little.

The wartime reference is appropriate because this is the day Canada's sports networks go to battle, pulling out all the stops to prove they can talk hockey better than the other guys.

TSN produced six hours of coverage, Rogers Sportsnet eight and The Score talked hockey all day. The FAN 590 and 640 Toronto also combined for nine hours.

Not to belabour the military references, but most wars don't get this kind of coverage.

While there definitely is far too much time devoted to what is mostly insignificant roster shuffling, yesterday produced a lot of entertaining moments. Some were even intended.

Early in the day, TSN host James Duthie made reference to the new salary cap and added that with the army of analysts on board, "we may be over the cap." For the record, they were.

The most entertaining stuff came as panic started to set in across the dial when the first hour produced only a couple of minor trades.

Sportsnet's Darren Dreger even asked analyst Al Strachan for his reaction "to what hasn't happened so far today."

Equally good was Damien Cox's suggestion on TSN that Toronto is the place, "where hockey players come to die."

[cont...]

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...93064&t=TS_Home

It is exciting, of course, but it was rather repititive to hear comments analyzing the day again and again. And, it was laughable for most of the morning, especially the 5 AM beginning, when no trades were made for four or five hours after that.

I've never been a fan of the end of season auction that is hockey's trade deadline.

This year they moved up the trade deadline two weeks so there is a full quarter season left (about 20 games per team).

This year they moved up the trade deadline two weeks so there is a full quarter season left (about 20 games per team).

I must admit that I did not know that. I still think that is too close to the end, but, a lot can change in 20 games I suppose.

I still don't agree with that... it's harder to see who will be players in the postseason or not, so no one makes moves anymore (or, at least, they won't make moves as long as it's like this).

I still don't agree with that... it's harder to see who will be players in the postseason or not, so no one makes moves anymore (or, at least, they won't make moves as long as it's like this).

There were 25 separate trades involving 40 players making this the most active trade dealine in about 10 years.

There were 25 separate trades involving 40 players making this the most active trade dealine in about 10 years.

But no big names changed hands this season and none of the trades that happened this year remotely come close guaranting any teams a better run at the playoffs. Jose The-Odor, who hasnt played in 2 months, with a 3.5GAA and .8xx SV%, a broken heel, with 'drug' problems was the biggest trade! That alone should put things into perspective. The cap is restricing teams to aquire big names, take risks or unload salary.

Look at the players traded, though. They were all minor moves.