[Definitive] Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion Thread

Are the textures set to the highest quality? Because in those screenshots the walls don't show much detail but the players sure do :D

Don't go by my screenshots of what it looks like on the PC, I'm messing around with my config file. There are people on other forums who have some amazing looking screenshots, but I have no ideal what they have done to their config to get them.

For instance someone posted this one:

Link

how i show FPS and take a SS in this game ive tried f11 f12 nothing even tried print screen button nothing sorry im a 100% noob to elder scrolls

^^^

i see nothing on that site about oblivion drivers

how i show FPS and take a SS in this game ive tried f11 f12 nothing even tried print screen button nothing sorry im a 100% noob to elder scrolls

^^^

Jmole is using a program called FRAPS, that allows you to take screenshots and shows the FPS in the corner.

http://www.fraps.com/

Don't go by my screenshots of what it looks like on the PC, I'm messing around with my config file. There are people on other forums who have some amazing looking screenshots, but I have no ideal what they have done to their config to get them.

For instance someone posted this one:

Link

thats absolutly amazing. I'm getting it today.

I'll let you know how it runs guys. I have a x64 3400+, 1G ram and a 256Meg ATX X800xt pe. Should run fine but I duno what kind of niceties I can enable. I'll see eh.

For those who dont wish to click the link heres the news item:

NVIDIA has has informed us they will be releasing a new driver on Wednesday March 22nd at NZone. This new version ForceWare 84.25 will contain specific performance enhances to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion being released Monday the 20th.

Our developer relations team worked closely with Bethesda to optimize game performance, which also included making some driver changes to fix/enhance performance in certain areas.

Our performance testing shows no two benchmark runs are identical in exterior scenes, due to Oblivion randomly placing grass and rocks, changing the amount of grass, and varying other aspects of the terrain.

We will most likely be adding this game to our video card gaming test suite. So if you are looking forward to this game as much as we are be sure to pick up this new driver when it is released.

Also, could anyone who currently has Oblivion and similar specs to mine please post your current config:

My Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz

Geforce 6600gt

1.5gb DDR400 RAM

cheers

Some of those screenshots look awesome for those graphics settings, so it should run fine on my pc. Just got an email from Play.com saying my order has been dispatched!

Whats your specs?

Pentium D 3.2GHz,

1.0GB DDR2 Ram (2 x 512),

7800GTX 256MB,

Audigy 2,

19" monitor @ 1280x1024 :D

Runs smooth as butter :) ~ 52FPS.

Ian.

Pentium D 3.2GHz,

1.0GB DDR2 Ram (2 x 512),

7800GTX 256MB,

Audigy 2,

19" monitor @ 1280x1024 :D

Runs smooth as butter :) ~ 52FPS.

Ian.

Very nice man, im so jealous.

Arghhh that new driver is only for Xp 32bit GRRR Don't tell me I have to reinstall to my old XP 32 just to get that driver going with Oblivion

Spec: AMD 3200, 1 Gb ram, Geforce 6600 GT

Had to say that I need a better video card to play this game in its glory like in the trailers/screenshots :(

Just started playing, gotta go find Uriel's son :D Loving it so far, too bad my system isn't good enough to run it with really nice graphics. Event at medium settings without all the bells and whistles and at 1024x768 it looks amazing :)

I just really like the feeling of using a controller instead of a keyboard/mouse myself

What a horrible reason to buy a game for the console instead of the pc...

People always forget that there are controllers for PCs. You could even hook up an xbox controller to the pc you're running the game on. If you're patient enough you could eventually get an adapter for the new 360 controllers as well.

People always forget that there are controllers for PCs. You could even hook up an xbox controller to the pc you're running the game on. If you're patient enough you could eventually get an adapter for the new 360 controllers as well.

Having played Morrowind both on the XBOX and on the PC, I must say, it was ALOT better on the XBOX. Alot. It's just the feel, dunno how to explain it.

As for the game - right now I'm in Oblivion - dear lord! Any tips on getting past this?! Those small little daedra are hard to get down! And I'm using a regular claymore. Just gave it a pause :p

AMD64 3200+ (OC'ed to 2.2 ghz or so)

2 gigs of PC3200

6800GT (OC'ed to Ultra speeds and a tad higher)

Just for people on similar specs, letting you know I am running the game almost completely maxed out and I get beautiful performance. Only thing I've turned down is shadows a bit, I don't really play my games with shadows normally anyways, and enabling max shadows in Oblivion seems to be the only setting that does cause me some slowdown. So it's disabled pretty much :) Other than that, the game runssssss like butter. Though the swaying trees...so weird looking....

so not to talk of piracy...but I'm just really curious that not one of you have said" just got back from purchasing it".....

Reloaded? This game is totally worth the money btw....

LOL, you're kidding, right? I didn't "forget" about controllers for the PC, you can use the wired 360 controller in Windows XP, they even sell a package specifically for the PC which is the same controller including the drivers on a CD (but Oblivion PC does not yet fully support it). For one thing, that is NOT my only reason, I was just stating that I like console games in general more than PC games nowadays and one reason is the controller setup. Also, using a controller in front of my 19" PC monitor is NOT the same as using it in front of my (for now) 32" TV, and I'm not about to put my computer in my living room just to hook it up to the TV (it'd look like crap anyway).

^^^

FRAPS for FPS and to enable screenshots go into the Oblivion.ini and set bAllowScreenShot=1. Then press "Print Screen" and it saves the screenshot as the .bmp in the Oblivion folder.

Having played Morrowind both on the XBOX and on the PC, I must say, it was ALOT better on the XBOX. Alot. It's just the feel, dunno how to explain it.

Morrowind was made infinitely better by all the mods released for the PC. I would not want to play it without all those armor, character, foliage and texture mods.

so not to talk of piracy...but I'm just really curious that not one of you have said" just got back from purchasing it".....

I did.

Most people got it Monday or Tuesday. I didnt see a copy "out in the wild" untill Tuesday night and 4.18 gigs is a pretty big download, a person would be lucky if they were finished by now.

Pretty unfair assumption.

4.18GBs is nothing for a dl on broadband.... i do like hearing from others how the game it. tempting to purchase. could i max it out on my system? or have to turn it down some ?