xbox360 HiDef problems

Hi All

Since the 360 has only been released in NZ and Aus recently (ie 5 days ago) I have a question(s).

I have a Panasonic TX-56P800HZ TV (56" Rear projection) HiDef TV that is supposed to support 1080i. (its in the specs and is written on the TV's housing) However the 1080i signal from the 360 wont sync on the TV

I know of another person locally who has the same problem with the 48" version of the same TV.

Ive contacted Panasonic NZ and they claim that yes the TV does support 1080i and that if there were indeed a problem that lots of users worldwide would be complaining and this is not the case. (They are still looking into it)

So my questions: Does anyone in the UK or other PAL region have this model of TV and a 360 and have it working with the 360.

Or does anyone have any ideas as to why it wont work?

The TV works at 480P but does not support 720P so I cant use that setting

Thanks in advance

Im using the Component cable. No DVI/VGA on this TV

And yes, its switched to HD, would it support 480P if it wasnt?

you will figure it out

is the xbox PAL or NTSC or SECAM?

is the tv PAL or NTSC or SECAM?

PAL Xbox, multi-system TV. Looks like Panasonic have it figured, it seems that the TV only suports 50Hz PAL @ 1080i and the 360 uses 60Hz PAL.

Panasonic are looking into it, they are getting complaints from all over Australasia

and i assume you went into the system settings and set it for 1080i, right...its in teh last blade.

Yes ;-)

change the hz on the 360

it can be changed from 50-60 /60-50

Where? I understand that option exists for Standard def, but not hidef

Panasonic only using 50hz? Is there no standart on HDTV resolutions concerning Hz?

Guess not ;-(

Well, I guess im stuffed.

its official, the TV supports 50Hz @ 720P and 1080i, and the 360 outputs at 60Hz

Thanks to all who tried to help

Now its up to the courts here to sort out, law suit here we come

Is there basis for a law suit? And is it against MS or Panasonic?

I guess you could petition MS to support 50hz in their next update, if that is possible.

Also, you could get a VGA to component converter and convert the VGA output of your 360 to component signals. If you are desparate, you could give it a shot.

Although I recommend you check that the converter supports 50hz :)

Edited by gunnerhkjp

Is there basis for a law suit? And is it against MS or Panasonic?

I guess you could petition MS to support 50hz in their next update, if that is possible.

Also, you could get a VGA to component converter and convert the VGA output of your 360 to component signals. If you are desparate, you could give it a shot.

Although I recommend you check that the converter supports 50hz :)

Panasonic is my target. The TV states 1080i support, Panasonic does not clarify this as only @ 50Hz.

Ive also passed the issue onto the local "Fair Go" TV show, not sure if you UK / US ppl have such a show, it uses pressue on the TV to make sure that companies do the right thing, ie: make it a PR nightmare for the offending company.

Ive since heard that Panasonic and MS are working towards a solution, as most HD Panasonic TV's have this same issue. (at least in NZ/Aus)

This is a longshot, but have you tried chosing 50hz whilst in standard def and then changing to 1080i?

Yes ;-)

Panasonic is my target. The TV states 1080i support, Panasonic does not clarify this as only @ 50Hz.

Ive also passed the issue onto the local "Fair Go" TV show, not sure if you UK / US ppl have such a show, it uses pressue on the TV to make sure that companies do the right thing, ie: make it a PR nightmare for the offending company.

Ive since heard that Panasonic and MS are working towards a solution, as most HD Panasonic TV's have this same issue. (at least in NZ/Aus)

Yes ;-)

I think that's just a stall tactic by Panasonic. I would try the transcoder, as suggested, in the meantime.

Good luck!

FYI: the 360 does the 540p doubling trick. I think "High Resolution" would be a better description since not all 360 games will run at 60fps either.

I own a XBOX 1.5 also:o)

I think that's just a stall tactic by Panasonic. I would try the transcoder, as suggested, in the meantime.

Good luck!

FYI: the 360 does the 540p doubling trick. I think "High Resolution" would be a better description since not all 360 games will run at 60fps either.

I own a XBOX 1.5 also:o)

I have to splash for the VGA cable, as well as a rather expensive media converter, that might just screw the clarity anyway.

I've left the "call" open with Fair Go in the meantime. I've also got other people with the same problem to contact Fair Go as well, a bit of pressue is never a bad thing.

if you plug the 360 into your tv with composite you then have an extra option in the 'display' menu which lets you switch the 360 to 50Hz, kinda stupid of microsoft to have it default on 60Hz when real PAL is 50Hz not 60Hz

looks like the 360's dashboard is set at 60Hz....changing it to 50Hz did nothing

if you plug the 360 into your tv with composite you then have an extra option in the 'display' menu which lets you switch the 360 to 50Hz, kinda stupid of microsoft to have it default on 60Hz when real PAL is 50Hz not 60Hz

looks like the 360's dashboard is set at 60Hz....changing it to 50Hz did nothing

The 50/60Hz switch is only available on standard def, not HiDef :no:

The 50/60Hz switch is only available on standard def, not HiDef :no:

yeah i just tested it :( the game i had in the xbox (LOTR return of the king) was playing in 50Hz, but the dashboard was still in 60Hz....it doesn't effect me, my tv can display both....but microsoft better fix this because by the sounds of it, many people are affected.

i hate it when companies assume things....microsoft would have to know that some tv's only display PAL in 50Hz i mean there are only a few things that separate NTSC from PAL and the refresh rate is one of them.

• 1 month later...

HI THERE TO ALL, HERE IS THE FINAL ANSWER AS I WORK FOR A LARGE ELECTRONICS STORE AND HAVE SPENT THE LAST 3 DAYS BETWEEN MICROSOFT AND TV MANUFACTURES

LCD / PLASMA GET THE HDTV AT ANY REFRESH RATE BECAUSE IT USES DIFFRENT TECHNOLOGY TO DECODE THE INFORMATION AS OPPOSED TO A REAR PROJECTION TV

REAR PROJECTION TVS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM EITHER AS THE HAVE SUPPLIED A PRODUCT FOR THE AUSTRALIAN / NEW ZEALAND MARKET. (50hz)

THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MICROSOFT SELLING XBOX 360'S MADE FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET TO COUNTRIES THAT DO NOT USE 60HZ AS THERE STANDARD AND I HAVE A LETTER FORM MICROSOFT STATEING INFORMATION THAT THE HDTV FEATURE IS ONLY IN 60HZ.

THE CURE !!!!!

PHONE MICROSOFT AND COMPLAIN AS THEIR METHOD OF ( CHANGE TO TV MODE AND ADJUST TO PAL 50 DOES NOT AFFECT HDTV SETTINGS) HENSE THE FACT YOU CANT ADJUST THIS SETING WHILE THE XBOX 360 IS IN HDTV MODE duh!!!!

2ND I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE TV SUPPLIERS WHO HAVE INFORMED ME THAT MICROSOFT HAS A CHIP THAT WILL CORRECT THIS PROBLEM AND IT HAS BEEN TESTED BY THESE SUPPLIERS.

YOU NOW ASK WHAT IS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT, WELL NOTHIN MICROSOFT ALREADY SELLS THESE CONSOLES AT A LOSS AND WILL COVER UP AND BAD MEDIA ON ITSELF AND HENSE WILL NOT PAY FOR NOR INSTALL THESE CHIPS INTO THE SYSTEMS.

CURE TAKE THE CONSOLE BACK UNDER COSUMER GAURENTEES ACT AS THE ITEM HAS NOT PERFORMED TO SPECIFIED STANDARDS AS MICROSOFT CANNOT CLAIM THEIR SYSTEM SUPPORTS HDTV IF IT WILL NOT WORK TO YOUR COUNTRIES STANDARD.

HI THERE TO ALL, HERE IS THE FINAL ANSWER AS I WORK FOR A LARGE ELECTRONICS STORE AND HAVE SPENT THE LAST 3 DAYS BETWEEN MICROSOFT AND TV MANUFACTURES

LCD / PLASMA GET THE HDTV AT ANY REFRESH RATE BECAUSE IT USES DIFFRENT TECHNOLOGY TO DECODE THE INFORMATION AS OPPOSED TO A REAR PROJECTION TV

REAR PROJECTION TVS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM EITHER AS THE HAVE SUPPLIED A PRODUCT FOR THE AUSTRALIAN / NEW ZEALAND MARKET. (50hz)

THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MICROSOFT SELLING XBOX 360'S MADE FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET TO COUNTRIES THAT DO NOT USE 60HZ AS THERE STANDARD AND I HAVE A LETTER FORM MICROSOFT STATEING INFORMATION THAT THE HDTV FEATURE IS ONLY IN 60HZ.

THE CURE !!!!!

PHONE MICROSOFT AND COMPLAIN AS THEIR METHOD OF ( CHANGE TO TV MODE AND ADJUST TO PAL 50 DOES NOT AFFECT HDTV SETTINGS) HENSE THE FACT YOU CANT ADJUST THIS SETING WHILE THE XBOX 360 IS IN HDTV MODE duh!!!!

2ND I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE TV SUPPLIERS WHO HAVE INFORMED ME THAT MICROSOFT HAS A CHIP THAT WILL CORRECT THIS PROBLEM AND IT HAS BEEN TESTED BY THESE SUPPLIERS.

YOU NOW ASK WHAT IS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT, WELL NOTHIN MICROSOFT ALREADY SELLS THESE CONSOLES AT A LOSS AND WILL COVER UP AND BAD MEDIA ON ITSELF AND HENSE WILL NOT PAY FOR NOR INSTALL THESE CHIPS INTO THE SYSTEMS.

CURE TAKE THE CONSOLE BACK UNDER COSUMER GAURENTEES ACT AS THE ITEM HAS NOT PERFORMED TO SPECIFIED STANDARDS AS MICROSOFT CANNOT CLAIM THEIR SYSTEM SUPPORTS HDTV IF IT WILL NOT WORK TO YOUR COUNTRIES STANDARD.

:rofl:

post-21440-1147247311.jpg