[UK] Countdown to ADSL Max

Only three days to go (not including today.) I'm not even a adsl customer and I'm looking foward to it, it might push my ISP into an upgrade

Incase you've missed out article

Are all the existing 2Mb customers going to be upgraded automaticly?

Its not like as of tomorrow everyone on 2MB switches to 8MB. Tomorrow is it all "turning on" the gree light. Im sure it will take some time for ISP's etc to get it all sorted.

But, saying that im looking forward to the upgrades, a bit more upload speed wouldnt go a-miss!

I'm surprised they aren't offering 10MB to compete with Blueyonder and NTL.?

You do know that its BT right?

That should more more than enough reason to know why there not doing it :yes:

All of them won't be 8MB ready by April 1st!

1st April is where BT will start the upgrade.

The upgrade is done by first come first served by the ISP who submitted the paperwork with all usernames for their exchange to be upgraded. BT says it will take between 3 to 6 months for it to be done.

So... don't be sad if you don't see your ADSL speed picking up.

You do know that its BT right?

That should more more than enough reason to know why there not doing it :yes:

Shame really, I would like them to be more competitive as the prices offered by some ADSL providers (which use BT lines) are very pleasing. I'm paying ?35 a month for 10MB from Blueyonder and the service is excellent but Bethere.co.uk is offering 24Mb ADSL for ?20, which is confusing to me if BT are only just rolling out 8Mb and BeThere.co.udob> use BT lines.

Shame really, I would like them to be more competitive as the prices offered by some ADSL providers (which use BT lines) are very pleasing. I'm paying ?35 a month for 10MB from Blueyonder and the service is excellent but Bethere.co.uk is offering 24Mb ADSL for ?20, which is confusing to me if BT are only just rolling out 8Mb and BeThere.co.udob> use BT lines.

Be uses LLU's which are using the BT lines, but they have to be unbundled at the exchange, so its not using BT's equipment.

BT are too greedy to use the LLU hardware as it will cost them too much. They have millions of customers who dont know better and use BT as there phone is BT.

Thing is for me, like alot of others, i can only get ISP's running on BT's system! so i have to use it at some point anyway!

I just hope my exchange gets done quickly. I live about 500yds from it and can see it from the back-bedroom window. I've even been in it to get to the roof to do some work on the Mobile basestation up there.

Be uses LLU's which are using the BT lines, but they have to be unbundled at the exchange, so its not using BT's equipment.

BT are too greedy to use the LLU hardware as it will cost them too much. They have millions of customers who dont know better and use BT as there phone is BT.

Thing is for me, like alot of others, i can only get ISP's running on BT's system! so i have to use it at some point anyway!

ohhhh, I get it now. it makes sense. Man British Telecom suck :/

I'm with a local cable provider and get 1Mb up and download speed for ?17.95 a month. I'm hoping that they upgrade to something like 5Mb symmetrical;)) that would be nice

All of them won't be 8MB ready by April 1st!

1st April is where BT will start the upgrade.

The upgrade is done by first come first served by the ISP who submitted the paperwork with all usernames for their exchange to be upgraded. BT says it will take between 3 to 6 months for it to be done.

So... don't be sad if you don't see your ADSL speed picking up.

Where did BT say that it will take 3 to 6months? I was under the impression that they had already began upgrading their exchanges, and that the 31st March 2006 is the 'go live' date that ISPs are allowed to regrade customers to the 8Mb service. This is the message I get from my ISP, Nildram:

Malvern is due to be 8mbps enabled on Friday 31st March 2006.

From this date you can use the Broadband availablity checker on our website to confirm that your exchange has been enabled. If you are eligible to receive higher speeds simply regrade FREE of charge through MyControls

I just hope my exchange gets done quickly. I live about 500yds from it and can see it from the back-bedroom window. I've even been in it to get to the roof to do some work on the Mobile basestation up there.

You might live 500yds from the exchange, but it all depends on the cabling, could go all the way around town first and then back to you ;)

I'm surprised they aren't offering 10MB to compete with Blueyonder and NTL.?

They're not offering more because this is ADSL technology (note, not ADSL2+ or such, plain ADSL) and 8Mbps is the maximum it's designe for. To roll out faster means a massive investment in new kit in exchanges, and that's not economic at this point. Also bear in mind that most ISPs are going to struggle to sustain a bunch of users downloading at even 8Mbps. I'm hoping to move up to 8Mbps very soon, and I reckon it'll be plenty fast enough for a good long while (potential 80GB per day :blink: :woot: )

They're not offering more because this is ADSL technology (note, not ADSL2+ or such, plain ADSL) and 8Mbps is the maximum it's designe for. To roll out faster means a massive investment in new kit in exchanges, and that's not economic at this point. Also bear in mind that most ISPs are going to struggle to sustain a bunch of users downloading at even 8Mbps. I'm hoping to move up to 8Mbps very soon, and I reckon it'll be plenty fast enough for a good long while (potential 80GB per day :blink: :woot: )

LOL, yes potential really ought to be highlighted there! ;) It's a friggin cool thought though.

Yeah the regrades are really going to test the ISPs for speed, but hopefully a lot of them put in orders for new central pipes when they heard about the changes. Most ISPs have multiple 622Mbps pipes, which is nice and hardcore. Need one of them direct to my home, lol.

i really hope Pipex get the arse into gear on this! :D

I'm planning on leaving Pipex in the next week or so in order to get 8Mbps. I have lost faith in them (after 4 years), and given what they have done recently with regards to torrents (don't use them myself, but suspect it's a tester for full traffic shaping/management) I fully expect them to make drastic changes to their T&C AUP/FUP in the coming months. Given that, there is no way that I am prepared to start a new 12month contract with them, which is required in order to get PipexMax.

Where did BT say that it will take 3 to 6months? I was under the impression that they had already began upgrading their exchanges, and that the 31st March 2006 is the 'go live' date that ISPs are allowed to regrade customers to the 8Mb service

That's what I presumed. I at least thought that all BT broadband customers would be upgraded reasonably soon after the end of this month

3-6 months ? I dunno about that !

I thought the 31st was the day BT did thier stuff, then they will allow ISP's to start on the 4th April - AOL have told me they will upgrade me to 8Mbit, for free, by the end of April, if not sooner !

yea i think theres been missunderstanding lol. BT have been carrying out the upgrades to their exchanges for a quite some time now to ensure that most exchanges will be ready for the 31st March, then it is down to the ISPs to regrade their customers, how quickly they do that is of course down to how many people request regrade.

Originally it was stated that the upload speed on the 8Mb Broadband was going to be about 105Kb/sec, which I thought was ace.... Unfortunately thats only gonna be the case for office products, home users get 55Kb/sec upload. hmm

Where did BT say that it will take 3 to 6months? I was under the impression that they had already began upgrading their exchanges

I think it was mentioned on the ADSLGuide website/message board a while back.

Yeah possibly. According to my ISP (Nildram) they say that BT have 98% of their exchanges nationwide ready for 8Mbps roll out tomorrow.

Most people wont get 8mbit, only a small percentage will

BT say average will be around 6mbit last i checked.

BT also said that peak time Wont see more than 2mbit realistic speeds (i assume thats 8am-0000 when everyone is awake) - my guess is there will be an improvement but line speed wont happen on teh bigger exchanges.

*Goes back to being unexcited*

for most higher speeds are months away yet. Bulk regrades can take months. depending on which isps put in orders