Need help from Basketball Players

Hey to all bball players!

Can you guys give me some tips on how to dribble well?

I'm alright at shooting, but i totally suck at dribbling.. i keep loosing the ball even if the path is clear..

I sometimes miss and I leave the ball behind.. It's pretty embarassing :(

So do you guys know any skills i can practise to improve my dribbling, so i have constant control of the ball?

Oh yeah I dribble with my left hand, and i'm right handed (my writing hand). I can seem to dribble with my right hand lol wierd.. It just feels like I don't have enough control when I'm trying to dribble with my right hand.

So if you have a few tips or skills i can practise, i'm eagar to hear from you =)

Thanks

when you dribble try using your whole hand to control it, just not tapping it

just practice doing that on a straight line while running

alright, what about the fingers only thing? I was told by my friends to only use my fingers and to push the ball down hard ? does that actually work well? Should my wrist be stiff and what arm movements should i be doing? Should my arm be going around in circles? Also one last thing, what height should i dribble the ball while running and stopping when trying to get past a defender?

Sorry for spamming you with questions and thanks for replying =)

You generally want to stick to using your fingers tips and instead of hitting the ball, guiding it. When it comes up let your finger tips cushion it and then push it down again. Your wrist should be loose and fluid. As for the ideal height, you never want it much higher than your waist, even lower when going between defenders.

When dribbling you definitely should not use your palm but your fingers. Your should flick your wrist each time you push down and not leave it stiff. Dont have your hand straight out either but almost like a cup (just don't palm the ball lol). Try just walking and dribbling first and use both hands as much as possible, even if it's uncomfortable. Trust me, using both now will pay off later. And just relax, be loose, and don't stress. Frustration will only make it harder.

Gah, damn you, ya beat me to it!

When dribbling you definitely should not use your palm but your fingers. Your should flick your wrist each time you push down and not leave it stiff. Dont have your hand straight out either but almost like a cup (just don't palm the ball lol). Try just walking and dribbling first and use both hands as much as possible, even if it's uncomfortable. Trust me, using both now will pay off later. And just relax, be loose, and don't stress. Frustration will only make it harder.

Gah, damn you, ya beat me to it!

and above all, don't catch it with your face, right?

alright, what about the fingers only thing? I was told by my friends to only use my fingers and to push the ball down hard ? does that actually work well? Should my wrist be stiff and what arm movements should i be doing? Should my arm be going around in circles? Also one last thing, what height should i dribble the ball while running and stopping when trying to get past a defender?

Sorry for spamming you with questions and thanks for replying =)

everyone tells me to use them but when i use my fingers, I always lose the ball if i am going too fast.

I don't keep my wrist stiff when in front of an defender, you have to be able to pass it up quick and with your arm, just keep opponents away from you

usually when you are not moving 2-4 inch is ok (crouching) and a bit higher while running

since when? :p

Know what? Go F* up your tailbone. . . .and your ankle. . . . and your wrist. . . and whatever the hell else hurts, again! lol.

Are you looking to improve to play on a team? Like a HS team, or, just for fun?

You need the fundementals (fingertips, etc), but you also seem to need to feel more comfortable with the ball. Start walking to the local court, and just dribble the ball along the way. Get there early and just dribble around the court. Dont shoot. You want the ball to feel natural in your hands. You want to get to a point where you are not thinking about dribbling, you are just doing it.