[UK] How long and how much is learning to drive?

I think it's about time I learnt to drive, but I don't know where to start. :/

I already know the highway code, I learnt that last year, I also know how to drive, I have just never been on a road with other drivers of offically taught. How many lessons do you need to take before you can take the test? How much would it be in total to learn to drive? (not including buying a car etc.) How long would it be until I could drive? Does it take months to take all of the lessons and the test or could I just complete it within the month?

Thanks!

Don't use BSM.

It all depends how well you can drive and read the road, People say after you pass your test the first year of driving after that is when you learn to drive. I have to agree with that statement.

If your good you could have 1 lesson and put in for test and pass. Tests are about ?50-60 last year when I did mine. Driving lessons do vary and are normally done on a hourly rate.

I made a topic on how long it took people to pass and it varied alot. Some having 1 hour of lessons some having over 100. The company my brothers with recommend 50 hours at ?17 an hour, but my friends dad owns a driving company and he says he can pass me within 20 hours of lessons at ?19.50 an hour. Also bear in mind that those week long intensive courses get alot less passes than people who learn gradually, and also you have to wait 9 weeks after getting your provisional or turning 17 (whichever comes last) before you can take your test so there's no point hurrying.

Provisional license costs ~?35, tests cost as said ~ ?50-?60.

ive been learning since i turned 18... my first instructor was rubbish so i stopped taking them, after a while i got with BSM cheapo lessons aswell coz i know the guy. been taking a 2 hour lesson every 2 weeks at ?30...i can drive, it just took me so lang to pass my theory, got my driving test in an hour, wish me luck:DD

ive been learning since i turned 18... my first instructor was rubbish so i stopped taking them, after a while i got with BSM cheapo lessons aswell coz i know the guy. been taking a 2 hour lesson every 2 weeks at ?30...i can drive, it just took me so lang to pass my theory, got my driving test in an hour, wish me luck:DD

Good luck buddy.

It too me 2 weeks to pass. Spend 20 hours @ ?21 a hour. So thats ?420, 2 of the hours were the test, 1 hour before and then 1 hour to "borrow" the car.

Test is ?55 iirc

Test on the highway code etc is another ?30~40 iirc

I suggest you get a few lessons. look online for a local instructor. usually ?12~25 per lesson.

No set limit. The instructor will tell u when he thinks ur ready.

Personally i did 8or so lessons. so 8hrs. but i had had a lot of practice with my parents first.

Best sticking to what teh instructor says though

Good luck

i took around 40hrs of 1hr/week lessons @ ?14 about 4-5 years ago. passed first time on both theory and practical. if you a fast learner then a one week crash course will be good enough for you to pass-otherwise its best if you go for 1 or 2 per week lessons..

Lessons cost me ?19 p/h or ?180 for 10 hours. Test was about ?45 a time and thoery test was ?25ish I think.

All in all, 9 months later, after about 37 hours of driving, one thoery test and four driving tests later, I passed in June 05'. Cost about ?1250 I think altogether, although that doesn't add up...I remember working it out to be like that - Maybe it was only ?850? Damn I can't remember.

I just failed.. got a few minors for little things, got 1 major reversing round a corner, it was really sharp and 2 cars pulled up behind me and reversed... i ended up in the middle of the road and got a serious for it. booked again for 5th may.

45.50 to book it last month, and ?30 today (?15 for hour lesson, ?15 for borrowing car for the test)

i've re-booked my test already and it cost me ?48.50 so it's gone up a bit.

wow why is it so expensive in england?

it cost me $0 for driving school (free over the summer at my high school) and $20 for the test i think

it cost me $0 for driving school (free over the summer at my high school) and $20 for the test i think

Probably because our schools don't include driving as a lesson.. We have to find our own instructor and everything.

one reason being the government in the UK wants less drivers on the roads to reduce traffic, congestion and pollution.

one reason being the government in the UK wants less drivers on the roads to reduce traffic, congestion and pollution.

Don't use BSM.

It all depends how well you can drive and read the road, People say after you pass your test the first year of driving after that is when you learn to drive. I have to agree with that statement.

So would i! i feel im still learning, infact id say im learning way more now ive passed my test than when i was taking lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just learning at the moment, I'm with a local instructor and I pay ?19.50 an hour. That was the cheapest in the area, a friend of mine pays ?22.50 so compared to her I've done well!

I've had about 15 lessons thus far, got my theory in a couple of weeks and hopefully by about 20 lessons I'll be ready to apply for the practical. Not too bad really, considering I'd never sat in the drivers seat before!

Use AA they are excellent (at least my instructor is) and only use qualified instructors.

I'd say the hardest thing is other people, more than knowing HOW to drive the car. I especially remember the ****er right behind us who beeped his horn for about 2 min because I stalled the car just before a junction. The 3-4 people behind him kept quiet though thankfully. Do people think outside the box sometimes?

BSM = Bring Some Money

what happens if you fail your test, BSM

Bring Some More.

i am learning to drive too atm, done 51 hours, 50 is mandatory here in Aus (in new south wales anyways)on ur learners license. However, knowing to pass your practical is one thing, knowing how to drive good on the streets is another...

• 3 years later...

I never had any driving lessons, but my dad did "teach" me.

To be honest, I would say how many lessons you require totally depends on the type of person you are. If you can adapt quickly to something new then it won't take you a great amount of time to be ready for your test.