Sony Europe confirms Europe PS3 price

in the end im just annoyed, annoyed that people excited about the ps3 have to hear 360 troops because their console is being overshadowed by "possible" Sony news.

Ha... Overshadowed !!!

Its not like they have anything to be proud of, Launching a console for ?600 euro. Xbox owners are just gloating because they get to experience High Definiton games a year before the PS3 for a fraction of the cost.

I suppose the price may drop once sony begins to cut more features... Its the sony way.

First of all the article was mis-translated, the Sony Rep actually didn't give a specific price just that it will be under 500 euros.

click

Secondly, why do people feel the need bring up the 360 in this thread. I have no problem with either platform but all this arguing is pointless.

Ha... Overshadowed !!!

Its not like they have anything to be proud of, Launching a console for ?600 euro. Xbox owners are just gloating because they get to experience High Definiton games a year before the PS3 for a fraction of the cost.

I suppose the price may drop once sony begins to cut more features... Its the sony way.

Sony have not confirmed any price yet for the PS3 - see this post:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=450027&st=0

They already confirmed that all PS3 games will be on Blu-ray from day 1 for anti-piracy reasons whether they need the extra space or not. To me it looks like they are passing the costs of implementing Blu-ray to the PS3 owners.

Oh? I wasn't aware of that. Now I'm really wondering how they're going to turn a profit. If a $900+ system to manufacturer is going to sell for (a speculated) $500 or so, and the Blu-Ray discs which cost considerably more to produce than DVDs shrinking the profit margin on software sales, I'm really wondering what they plan on making profit on.

?349-?420 for a console, good luck trying to get people to fork out that kind of money, especially considering that you can get an Xbox 360 for ?279 and if the Revolution is released around that time as well, which will probably retail at around ?150-?200.

For those that are trying to justify this ridiculous price you have to remember that HDTV hasn't really taken off in Europe to the extent that it has in N.America and thus the inclusion of Blu-Ray doesn't really play that big a role in determining which console to purchase. You cannot draw comparisons between PS2+DVD with PS3+Blu-Ray, unlike the former which had the entire backing of Hollywood, Blu-Ray has only got the backing of about 50% of Hollywood while the other 50% back HD-DVD which of course cannot be played on the PS3 and thus it doesn't make sense investing such a large sum of money on technology that could potentially be a failure.

My thought on this is sony own, some movie studio, so surely if they start releasing everything on blu ray people will have to buy the ps3, where as microsoft don't produce HD-DVD's so they won't be able to push theirs as hard, as sony can.

can i just ask.....is everyone really that tight? 350 quid in my eyes is ****ing great.....i paid over 300 quid for a ps2 5 years ago.....i was expecting to pay over 400 just for the ps3....i work part time and im mor ethan willing to SAVE up for a ps3....u know....thats what people do to buy things,you ****s who wait for price drops can be the death of a company,get a grip.

So you are the guy that wakes up and goes "Hail Kutaragi!!!" :laugh:

Ha... Overshadowed !!!

Sigh.

Just for the record, not everyone is stupid enough to buy something before comparing it with the competition. Just like I wouldn't buy a TV, a car, or clothes without looking at what else might be available. Of course, this doesn't apply to rich bastards.

So you are the guy that wakes up and goes "Hail Kutaragi!!!" :laugh:

haha i have a scale statue of him about 4"0 and i kiss its tiny yellow feet every morning and night. :D

That's also speculation ;) (Note: speculation created by people that can't add up)

You mean... speculation by the biggest industry analysts with respectable resources.

First of all the article was mis-translated, the Sony Rep actually didn't give a specific price just that it will be under 500 euros.

click

Damage control?

Sigh.

Just for the record, not everyone is stupid enough to buy something before comparing it with the competition. Just like I wouldn't buy a TV, a car, or clothes without looking at what else might be available. Of course, this doesn't apply to rich bastards.

Ohh ok, Why not wait 6 more years to see who the winner is, That way you wont get caught up in the format war at all and can rest assured that you made the right purchace... I know what the PS3 has to offer, ive seen the specs at E3... do you really think that thay will be adding extra features at this stage?

I decided that the 360 would be the best choice.

Ha... Overshadowed !!!

gloating? ok cool, gloat all you want, just do you have to do it in every ps3 thread? like does this aspect of some people having great consoles now and others having to wait really need to be the topic of conversation right now in this thread? do you carry your 360 around with you in the desperate hope that you can always whip it out and make it and you the centre of conversation? do you see how sad that is? and probably not true anyways, sooooo why make it a big enough deal to gloat about online?

Ohh ok, Why not wait 6 more years to see who the winner is, That way you wont get caught up in the format war at all and can rest assured that you made the right purchace... I know what the PS3 has to offer, ive seen the specs at E3... do you really think that thay will be adding extra features at this stage?

And there you have it folks. You decided yourself to make a choice, good for you- problem is when you made that choice you also made the choice (maybe it was subconcious) to close your mind off from other possibilities and begin this weird sony hate mongering. im serious, it sounds ridiculous, but its the sad truth with many of these guys that own 360s. Face it, its hard to find a 360, they paid quite a bit for it, so why shouldnt they feel a little entighteled? hehehehehehe

There are 4 types of gamers out there right now, those that have a 360 and hate the rest, those that are waiting for the ps3 and hate the rest, those that are waiting for the rev and hate the rest, and then the rest of us who are looking for a 360 because we like gaming and are excited about the ps3 because we like gaming and look forward to the rev because we like gaming.... and i already swing an imaginary sowrd in my living room, soo i look forward to taking that skill to a whole new level!);) hahahahhahaha

Out of curiousity what console(s) do you own ? Don't reply if you don't feel the need to.

499-599 Euros

During an interview granted to the emission Generation Europe 1 on radio Europe 1, George Fornay, President de Sony Computer Entertainment France and Senior Vice-president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, confirmed that PlayStation 3, planned for next November in the whole world, will be available ' in the fork of the 500 euros ' by specifying that it will be expensive for a video game console, but enough cheap for a platform high definition reading of films to the Blu-ray format. In addition, the person in charge announces that more than 14 million PSP were produced in the world.

AND

If the exit of PlayStation 3 is officially announced for next November, its price when coming out remained a great mystery, until yesterday evening. Being expressed on the new console of Sony on radio Europe 1 via the emission Generation Europe 1 yesterday evening around 23 hours, George Fornay - the president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president de Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - confirmed that the PS3 will be available in the fouchette of the 500 euros, between 499 euros and 599 euros thus, specifying that it will be expensive for a game console video but extr?mement cheap for a platform high definition reading of films to the format Blu Ray.

In addition, it confirmed the world exit of its console for November in France, even if this world exit remains a challenge for the Japanese firm which feels able to raise it. Lastly, Mr. Fornay pointed out that the delay of PlayStation 3 was due to the adjustments on the protection system of Blu-Ray but that it was a good thing for the preparation of launching, taking the delay of the PSP like example.

In short, we will be able only too to advise you to put 700 euros side for the end of the year, in order to be certain to have your PlayStation 3 and at least a play under the Christmas tree. Indeed, high technology is not given!

http://www.jeux-france.com/news15148_la-pl...-500-euros.html

http://www.playfrance.com/news/ps3-2152962...-500-euros.html

10editeurs20060221_175704_0_big.jpg

Do you honestly not read? Sony released a statement saying that they were misunderstood about the 499 - 599 euro. They were saying that even at 499 - 599 euro the PS3 would be a great value because of the Blu ray drive inside it.

Source

You mean... speculation by the biggest industry analysts with respectable resources.

Biggest industry analysts who cannot add up. Very respectable :rolleyes:

Out of curiousity what console(s) do you own ? Don't reply if you don't feel the need to.

I had a NES, Megadrive, PC, PS1 and xbox...

I getting an xbox 360 during the summer when my exams are over, and iconboy.... I dont hate the rest, Im looking forward to the revolution (Cheap and Innovative - Good combination).

im soooo tired of people who own 360s coming into threads that are Sony-centric with their "uber-cool" 360 sigs taking something and blowing it out of proportion. You have a 360, good for you, go enjoy it. The bottom line is, Sony can charge whatever they want and people will pay- early adopters will make sure its sold out everywhere- yes there are more than enough of them.

You think the console is too expensive? then dont buy one. i think the price is just ok, a little on the expensive side, when u dont consider everything that the ps3 truely is, when u do (and im sure the capabilities will be lost ont he average consumer) the price is justified. Am i gunna buy one on launch? NOPE.

and for all the people in this thread -well one in particular who said "wait til people see 360 games that look twice as good with a 360 that is half the price" -please do us all a favour and shut up. ur head is so far up M$ ass u can smell the bull. in the end im just annoyed, annoyed that people excited about the ps3 have to hear 360 troops because their console is being overshadowed by "possible" Sony news. Im annoyed at Sony troops who think that this price is "acceptable in general" and annoyed at everyone else for listening to these two warring idiot factions ;)

Well said, man.

im soooo tired of people who own 360s coming into threads that are Sony-centric with their "uber-cool" 360 sigs taking something and blowing it out of proportion. You have a 360, good for you, go enjoy it. The bottom line is, Sony can charge whatever they want and people will pay- early adopters will make sure its sold out everywhere- yes there are more than enough of them.

You think the console is too expensive? then dont buy one. i think the price is just ok, a little on the expensive side, when u dont consider everything that the ps3 truely is, when u do (and im sure the capabilities will be lost ont he average consumer) the price is justified. Am i gunna buy one on launch? NOPE.

and for all the people in this thread -well one in particular who said "wait til people see 360 games that look twice as good with a 360 that is half the price" -please do us all a favour and shut up. ur head is so far up M$ ass u can smell the bull. in the end im just annoyed, annoyed that people excited about the ps3 have to hear 360 troops because their console is being overshadowed by "possible" Sony news. Im annoyed at Sony troops who think that this price is "acceptable in general" and annoyed at everyone else for listening to these two warring idiot factions ;)

*starts a slow clap*

and the Blu-Ray discs which cost considerably more to produce than DVDs shrinking the profit margin on software sales
According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.
Source: Blue-ray.com

Biggest industry analysts who cannot add up. Very respectable :rolleyes:

Or maybe you should look again and see that all of their estimates (Xbox 360 for example) look like that.

If you actually read it, you'd see that the extra comes from licensing fees and shipping costs, etc.

and the Blu-Ray discs which cost considerably more to produce than DVDs shrinking the profit margin on software sales

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.

Source: Blue-ray.com

I think you missed the bit where it would cost a lot more for manufacturing plants to switch to producing Blu-Ray than HD-DVD discs. To produce HD-DVD discs only a minor change has to be made to the manufacturing process where as to produce Blu-Ray discs major modification has to be made and new machinery brought in.

Initially Blu-Ray will cost considerably more to produce than DVDs which in turn will eat away at the profit margins hence why half of Hollywood has gone the HD-DVD route.

I think you missed the bit where it would cost a lot more for manufacturing plants to switch to producing Blu-Ray than HD-DVD discs. To produce HD-DVD discs only a minor change has to be made to the manufacturing process where as to produce Blu-Ray discs major modification has to be made and new machinery brought in.
Any proof of that? I've heard otherwise.
hence why half of Hollywood has gone the HD-DVD route.
Nope. Pretty much all of Hollywood is going both routes, but more-so to blu-ray.

Blu-Ray:

- 20th Century Fox

- Buena Vista Home Entertainment

- Columbia

- Digital Playground

- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

- Sony Pictures Entertainment

- Lions Gate Home Entertainment

- Paramount

- The Walt Disney Company

- Tri-Star

- Warner Brothers

HD-DVD:

- Buena Vista Home Entertainment

- New Line Cinema

- Paramount Pictures

- The Walt Disney Company

- Universal Studios

- Warner Brothers

Would you like to add to that list? I see no place online that lists a definite HD-DVD list.

Edited by jmole

Any proof of that? I've heard otherwise.

http://news.com.com/Cost+questions+dog+Blu...l?tag=nefd.lede

Blu-ray's rival, the HD DVD format, relies on a reasonably well understood process. HD DVDs are constructed very similarly to existing DVDs, and the basic discs can be made with relatively minor modifications to existing DVD manufacturing lines.

Blu-ray discs, on the other hand, require completely different equipment. Most of the major disc replicators--the companies that make DVDs and CDs--now have a test line or two up and running, but hard data on production costs remains scant.

The quote you originally posted doesn't deny this. They simply say in the end the costs will be similar to DVD. I suppose this would be after they get all their money back from the initial investment they made.