Man Utd 2-0 Arsenal

Wayne Rooney and Ji-Sung Park scored as Manchester United won their ninth successive Premiership match.

Rooney controlled Mikael Silvestre's brilliant cross before shooting past Jens Lehmann and later crossed for Park to score from close range.

Lehmann had superbly saved from Rooney twice before his goal, while Kolo Toure appeared to divert a strike from the forward on to the post with his hand.

United keeper Edwin van der Sar made good saves from Robin van Persie.

The result means Sir Alex Ferguson's team move back to within seven points of Chelsea, who defeated West Ham 4-1 earlier on Sunday.

United have five games left to catch the reigning champions, including a match at Stamford Bridge against Jose Mourinho's team.

But the victory over Arsenal means United are assured of finishing in the top four - and thus qualifying for next seaon's Champions League.

For Arsenal, though, their ninth away defeat in the Premiership this season leaves them five points behind north London rivals Tottenham in the race for fourth place.

It could have been different for Arsene Wenger's team if they had converted one of their early chances - in a match played in front of a Premiership record crowd of 70,908.

Despite relegating Thierry Henry to the bench Arsenal made the early running. Gary Neville made a superb challenge to deny Emmanuel Adebayor after he had been played through by Alexander Hleb and Van der Sar saved from Van Persie.

It took United a while to settle but eventually they started to threaten, Lehmann punching clear a Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick and then making two superb saves to deny Rooney.

Each time Rooney shot across Lehmann, the first from 20 yards and the second considerably closer but from a tighter angle.

Arsenal looked to break quickly and Van der Sar made a superb save low to his left to thwart Van Persie.

Van Nistelrooy, starting ahead of Louis Saha, started to assert his influence on the contest, shooting wide from a tight angle and forcing Lehmann into action with a header.

And it was a superb through ball from Van Nistelrooy that led to the major incident of the first half.

He played Rooney through and his team-mate took the ball around Lehmann before shooting goalwards.

Toure, struggling to regain his feet, appeared to handle as he dived to his right to try to stop Rooney's strike. The ball was deflected against the post but the incident went unnoticed by referee Graham Poll.

Rooney was not to be denied after the break - the 20-year-old smashing the ball past Lehmann after taking one touch to control Silvestre's cross.

Arsenal went in search of an equaliser, with Adebayor shooting narrowly over and Van Persie failing to convert Emmanuel Eboue's cross.

Eboue brilliantly eluded Rooney before cutting inside but his ball to Van Persie was struck firmly, making it difficult for his team-mate to make a decisive contact.

Arsenal introduced Henry with 18 minutes left but Park's goal took the match beyond the away team.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Ronaldo, O'Shea, Giggs, Park (Evra 84), Rooney, van Nistelrooy (Saha 62).

Subs Not Used: Howard, Brown, Pique.

Booked: Vidic, O'Shea, Silvestre.

Goals: Rooney 54, Park 78.

Arsenal: Lehmann, Eboue, Senderos, Toure, Flamini, Hleb (Ljungberg 74), Fabregas (Diaby 69), Silva, Pires, Van Persie (Henry 69), Adebayor.

Subs Not Used: Poom, Djourou.

Booked: Silva.

Att: 70,908

Ref: G Poll (Hertfordshire).

Source

Superb!!!

Fantastic!!!

Bravo!!!

Awesome!!!

Enough of the words. Rooney was awesome, but so was everyone on the day. They all played superb, and United won a well deserved 2-0 victory at Old Trafford. Just when Henry was about to come, I was having a feeling that United was gonna score any minute, and voila they scored. And any final chance to get back into the game went out of the door. Can't wait for the 29th April encounter between United and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Kick their a$$ Red Devils :D

First of all, why the heck did Henry not play the full game? Arsenal would have had a better chance with him on for the full 90 minutes.

Good thing Liverpool beat Bolton 1-0 with a goal by Robbie Fowler on his 31st Birthday :fun:

KEEP PUSHING REDS!!!

The first goal was a dream goal..tackle by vidic..sublime cross by silvestre..control by rooney & BANG !! Manchester United 1-0.

As for Henry not playing I think its obvious he was being rested for Champions League ties ahead but eve if would have been there I dont see him play against Manchester United :-P As long as Manchester UNited play well & keep up the pressure even if Chelsea dont slip up,this will surely make a nail biting next season.

Go Reds Go !!

Yay, go Red Devils :devil: !

PSG22

Enjoyed the highlights on match of the day last night, the 1st goal was a beauty. Shame the papers were headlining today with Rooney, whose gone and spent ?700,000 in 5 months on gambling, daft sod!

I think thats the first time I have ever wanted Man UTD to win! Greaty improved Spurs chance of Champs league!

YID ARMY!

- FaRSightxc2 :)

It was an excellent game and that first goal was brilliant, right from Vidic's tackle to Silvestre's cross to Rooney's shot. They deserved to win this one.

Apparently, Henry was tired after playing quite a few matches recently so he was put on the bench (according to Wenger)

What if they win the CL? Do they need to finish 4th?

Congrats MU..

No, new rules I think. They need to get 4th to get in the Champions League, even if they win it. I think that's how it works anyway.

Anyway, that would be if they won it, which they won't.

No, new rules I think. They need to get 4th to get in the Champions League, even if they win it. I think that's how it works anyway.

Anyway, that would be if they won it, which they won't.

The new rules for this season are that if a team outside the top 4 wins the Champions League, then the team in 4th position will go into the UEFA cup and the holders can defend their Champions League trophy.

Oh yeah. I think it's totally unfair on Tottenham then if Arsenal were to take their spot. But, I don't think Arsenal are going to win it. It's going to be either AC Milan or Barcalona.

I think Barcalona are going to win it myself.

But arsenal drawed with pompey last night HAHAHAHAHA

so nobody has beaten us in 5 games. last 2 games were a draw (Blackburn, Arsenal)

im not worried arsenal lost, i expected it, theyre not giving much thought to the premier league as of now (except that they may want man u to overtake chelsea) when they can go all the way in the Champions league. common sense

The new rules for this season are that if a team outside the top 4 wins the Champions League, then the team in 4th position will go into the UEFA cup and the holders can defend their Champions League trophy.

Yep, that's right. Completely unfair too, if such a thing does happen again.

It doesn't matter if a team has won the League. If they can't qualify in a bloody domestic league, they have no right playing in Europe, much less the Champions League. So what if they can't defend the title that they won, it's their own fault that they didn't qualify.

This rule should be changed.

I agree the rules are stupid. BUT come on Barca will win they are doing great this season.

Sods law arsenal win and finish lower in the league

The english League needs to change because when there is a world cup the seasons gets shorter slighty. And i think there should be a rule that if your in a european comp then you should not be allowed in for the FA cup. They just end up craming in matches all together in a week and clubs are so knacked after it.

Pompey played last Saturday, This Wednesday, Then Saturday, Then Monday

How many teams this season has done it because time taken up by the FA or europe? LOTS.

I am of the opinion that the winner should be allowed to defend their trophy. Real Madrid did it a few years ago when they finished fifth and won the Champinos League, Real Zaragoza finished fourth so Zaragoza never got their Champions League place. Apparently it was up to the Football Association of each country to decide who actually got in the Champions League as the rules were not a clear cut.

Last season when Liverpool won and Everton finished fourth there was an outcry as many people thought that Liverpool deserved their chance to defend their trophy like Real Madrid did. The FA decided to side with Everton and took the matter to UEFA and reccomended that Liverpool be placed in the Champions League as well, fortunately UEFA concurred and Liverpool were allowed in but had to play another six games to get through the qualifiers. The rules have now been changed though, but I still think that both teams should be allowed in.

Personally I can not see Arsenal winning the Champions League this season, but people said this about Liverpool last season and we then go and win it! There are many similarities between Arsenal's and Liverpool's European Campaigns in the last few seasons and perhaps this could be a sign!

Liverpool did it first though :D

Looks like the Manure title hopes are over, 0-0 against Sunderland who got relegated tonight.

Better luck next time, atleast we'll finish infront of Liverpoo ;)