usb vs lan

hey guys i have a com21 cable modem that works on both usb and lan cards.my lan cad recently got bad and wont work properly anymore..so i connected on usb,instead of getting a new one...since then the speeds are not as good as they used to be..its not my isp cos my friends connection work just fine..

can i fine tune my usb connection to work faster.or do i just need to get a new lan card...

btw i have that QOS tweak for xp enabled...but it was enabled even when i used lan

please help me out here

thanks

dayle

The QoS tweak doesn't do **** since you almost *certainly* do not use any QoS aware software, let alone have any hardware (routers/etc) that are "QoS capable." USB 1.1 operates at ~12Mbps. But you'll never actually see ~12Mbps of bandwidth due to overhead; expect to see something more along the lines of 8-10Mbps when transfering data via TCP/IP.

To answer your question, no, you can't really "fine tune" your usb connection. I assure you, that unless you have one *badass* ISP, you're going to be capped well below 8-10Mbps anyways. If you have a homenetwork, however, and want to transfer files between computers, a LAN card is definetly going to be faster. Go buy a nice 10 dollar card if you want to do that. If not, don't bother. You're not going to cap out your USB bandwidth unless you have a slew of other **** on the same line.

Originally posted by Vlad

The QoS tweak doesn't do **** since you almost *certainly* do not use any QoS aware software, let alone have any hardware (routers/etc) that are "QoS capable." USB 1.1 operates at ~12Mbps. But you'll never actually see ~12Mbps of bandwidth due to overhead; expect to see something more along the lines of 8-10Mbps when transfering data via TCP/IP.

To answer your question, no, you can't really "fine tune" your usb connection. I assure you, that unless you have one *badass* ISP, you're going to be capped well below 8-10Mbps anyways. If you have a homenetwork, however, and want to transfer files between computers, a LAN card is definetly going to be faster. Go buy a nice 10 dollar card if you want to do that. If not, don't bother. You're not going to cap out your USB bandwidth unless you have a slew of other **** on the same line.

No offense but what's with the *weird* overusage of quotes and asterisks. BTW Get Optimum Online, its what you'd call *Badass* :p