Linux on Mac?

Has anyone done this around here? What with Mandrake 9 finally being released I'm intrigued (although there doesn't seem to be a Mandrake 9 PPC version yet (I hope)).

I had Yellow Dog 2.1 then 2.2 running on mine (g4/400/AGP Radeon 32) and to be honest I found 10.1 zippier. Seeing as you have little patience (like myself) you'll probably find Linux a tedious (at times) experience, tho setting up and installing YDL is a breeze, hats off to them for that.

I had 8 on my laptop for a long time. I was just wondering how the experience was like on a Mac.

I'm hoping that there will be a PPC version of 9, there's nothing special they have to do to get it running on a PPC processor is there?

one of my friends installed yellow dog (or one of the other ppc linux os's) and he wasnt too fond of it, i was going to send him mandrake for vpc but 40 gigs of storage wouldnt be enough someday for mac os/two images of windows (one xp one 98)

yellow dog is probably the best distro for a mac, as its package manager is light years beyond anything mandrake ever puts out.

i say never run linux on a mac unless its a g4 and you absolutely need it for computational purposes. otherwise there is really no reason other than the usual masturbatory ones.

I liked Mandrake on my VAIO so that's why I wanna check 9 out on my Mac (if it comes out that is). Yellow dog linux doesn't work on the combo drive FP iMac so that's out of the question.

mandrake is ok, i used it on my pcs when i was first learning linux. id still recommend something with a nice package management implementation. i've been itching to try Gentoo due to recommendations and the promise of its auto dependency resolution, but I have no boxes that are expendable enough to do a complete rework on.

Originally posted by sparkleytone

mandrake is ok, i used it on my pcs when i was first learning linux. id still recommend something with a nice package management implementation. i've been itching to try Gentoo due to recommendations and the promise of its auto dependency resolution, but I have no boxes that are expendable enough to do a complete rework on.

gentoo kicks mandrakes ass :p

if they have SRPMS or just a source release for mandrake9, you might be able to compile it to work. but that's probably REALLY involved.

try gentoo though, you might be able to compile it to a PPC platform...

well...i just sold my p3 box and dropped the 60GB HD with all my important stuff into my one remaining PC. ooooold gateway. pentium 133 with 80MB of SIMMS. it runs slackware, which has been my favorite distro due to stability (once you get it installed ;)) so i really dont have a way to try out gentoo :(...maybe i can pick up a box off of someone...a 486 even.

lol hax0r still only has 100 bux for his ibook fund (get an emac instead ;) jk)...but u'll end up saving enough money sooner or later but if u get enough money by the right time, new models of ibooks may be out by then (january but doubt it)...but then again i have $0 in my "i want a powermac fund" lol....even tho my dads going to buy it for me....atleast he says :s....gotta love early grad presents :s

I'm just curious as to why you want to use Linux in the first place? :)

I mean, you can run most X11 apps in OSX if you install XDarwin and OroborOSX, if that's what you're after. And you still have the ability to run Photoshop :D

Originally posted by cerbero

I'm just curious as to why you want to use Linux in the first place? :)

I mean, you can run most X11 apps in OSX if you install XDarwin and OroborOSX, if that's what you're after. And you still have the ability to run Photoshop :D

No reason, I just wanna. Wanna have a play :p

Originally posted by Dazzla

No reason, I just wanna. Wanna have a play :p

Hehe, I thought so. Well it's a good way to learn the basics of a UNIX-like OS anyway, so you'll have use for what you learn in Mac OS X later.