Steven Gerrard Wins PFA Award

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has been rewarded for his superb season by being named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year at an awards dinner in London.

The all-action midfielder, who came third in the European Player of the Year award, has been a cornerstone of Rafa Benitez's side that has usurped Arsenal in the top three of The Premiership as well as booking an FA Cup final place with their win over Chelsea on Saturday.

After leading Liverpool to the most dramatic of UEFA Champions League victories last season, Gerrard was on the brink of joining Jose Mourinho's Blues before he followed his heart and stayed at Anfield.

His decision has been rewarded by another outstanding season in English football during which he has scored 18 goals in all competitions for Benitez's side and cemented a certain place in England's World Cup plans.

Gerrard was also shortlisted last season but has beaten a trio of Chelsea stars - John Terry, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard - as well as Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney to be handed the ultimate accolade by his fellow professionals.

The driving force of Liverpool's team won the Young Player of the Year award in 2001, but in following 2005's winner Terry he has become the first Reds star to take the senior prize since John Barnes in 1988.

Gerrard expressed his shock at taking the prize, emphasising the depth of talent in the six-man shortlist.

"I am still in shock to be honest," said Gerrard.

"If you look at the shortlist, there are five other guys who have so much talent. They are all special players.

"And then there are also the guys who have not made the shortlist - there are so many players who could have won this award.

"I looked at the list of past winners and there are some fantastic names on there - some legends, so I am really proud to have joined them, it is really special."

Gerrard also expressed his delight at landing the award so soon after the FA Cup semi-final win over Chelsea.

"It has been one of the best weekends of my life," Gerrard added.

"To go through to another FA Cup final and win this special award is fantastic for me."

He thoroughly deserved to win it. Well done :D (Y)

Edited by Martyn

I voted for him all the way! He is my absolute favorite player in the Prem besides Harry Kewell and Xabi Alonso.

Good luck to the Reds against West Ham Und. midweek!

I voted for him all the way! He is my absolute favorite player in the Prem besides Harry Kewell and Xabi Alonso.

Good luck to the Reds against West Ham Und. midweek!

You voted for him? Are you a Premiership player, because this is an award were his fellow professionals vote for him? :p

You voted for him? Are you a Premiership player, because this is an award were his fellow professionals vote for him? :p

Haha, I meant I was rooting for him all the way! :laugh: ;)

No..but seriously, I'm Alan Shearer :shiftyninja:

Haha, I meant I was rooting for him all the way! :laugh: ;)

No..but seriously, I'm Alan Shearer :shiftyninja:

Well congratulations on fulfilling a brilliant career then. Alan Shearer is a legend :)