Zinedine Zidane to retire after World Cup

Zidane to retire after Cup

From correspondents in Paris

April 26, 2006

REAL Madrid's playmaker Zinedine Zidane has announced that he will retire from football after this northern summer's World Cup in Germany.

"After the World Cup, I will stop playing football," Zidane told Canal Plus television.

"The World Cup is my last goal. That's the only thing I want to focus on," said Zidane, affirming that his decision is "definitive".

"I want people to be in the know before the World Cup."

Zidane initially announced his retirement from international football in August 2004 after a disastrous Euro campaign with France.

But the Marseille-born father-of-four went back on that decision a year later to help the French national team qualify for this year's World Cup.

"The context was different then," Zidane said.

Advertisement:

"This is definitive. I'm stopping everything. Afterwards I can play as an amateur but that's up to me. I'm relieved. Now I can look forward to the World Cup."

Agence France-Presse

Source: Fox Sports

Sad news :(

Wow, all this years seeing Zidane on the camp, and now ... Nothing :( Well, I think it's fair, he deserves his jubilation.

I think it's a good thing, as he's been in awful form all season. He's just not got the legs for it anymore. Still, he is one of my favourite all time players.

Zizou is a true legend, what he does with a football is simply magical. He was my favourite player, the goal he scored in the Champions League final was amazing. A true great, I hope he has a good World Cup as that would be an appropriate send off.