Turning on S-Video?

Hey guys, I have a big old Mitsubishi TV (SD, beyond that I dunno), and it has a single S-Video connector alongside the connectors for "AV 1". If I plug an S-Video connector into it, but I never pick up a signal. Could it be that I have to select the S-Video connector instead of Composite? (err, the yellow one)

Am I likely to get much improvement in quality with S-Video over Composite anyway? (Mac Mini with some DivX videos)

Thanks inadvance. :)

As long as you set the television to the correct input, shouldn't it look for a signal over S-Video first, then go to CVBS?

Yeah, thats what I assumed.:(:( Maybe its a problem on the Mac's end.:unsure:e:

If the mac is anything like Windows, you have to go in a choose your TV as your monitor.

You should just have to go to System Preferences -> Monitors. There's a button to search for monitors/displays in there, somewhere.

If the mac is anything like Windows, you have to go in a choose your TV as your monitor.

Well, if I connect it via Composite, it picks it all fine and dandy as I turn on the Mac, but if I do it via S-Video, nothing. To make things more complicated, you plug the S-Video connector into the DVI slot, so you can't exactly plug in a monitor and then switch.

I use the Svideo on my powerbook almost everyday with my sony TV.

What i do is plug in the Svideo cables to everything, and then change the tv input to the Svideo channel. Because the svideo port is alongside composite inputs, you choose that channel on the tv and it automatically chooses the Svideo input over the RCA input video.

Then go to system preferences, displays, and choose "Detect displays". The video should appear on the TV. If you choose the "Arrangement" tab, you can choose whether you want to have the display mirrored or extended. If its extended, you can drag the arrangement of the 2 screens from whichever side you want. You can also drag the menu bar to either screen to make it the main monitor.

For videos i use VLC player. Put the controller on whatever screen you want to watch and choose full screen, and you can then continue to work on teh computer. Quicktime doesnt seem to understand this - choose full screne in quicktime on your second display, and it just goes full screen on your main display :pinch:

Then go to system preferences, displays, and choose "Detect displays".

Hmm, I should be able to pull that off over VNC.. shall go try :)

Yeah, thats what I assumed...:( Maybe its a problem on the Mac's end.. :unsure:

You have a Mac now? Maybe you should have specified all the details in your initial post :) Also you would have said that you intend to connect the TV to the computer because your post is unclear regarding your question :D

You have a Mac now? Maybe you should have specified all the details in your initial post :) Also you would have said that you intend to connect the TV to the computer because your post is unclear regarding your question :D

(Mac Mini with some DivX videos)

Sorry, I didn't feel it was particularly relevent anyway, if its a problem with the Mac then I'll post the problem in the Mac forum rather than bothering you guys with it.... not that I'm sure what you think I was trying to hook up to it.... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. S-Video is a considerable improvement over Composite.

IMO, the difference between S-Video and Composite is greater than the difference between Component and S-Video.

IMO, the difference between S-Video and Composite is greater than the difference between Component and S-Video.

You don't care much about HD resolutions then, eh? :p

Well there is a HUGE jump between Composite and S-Video. Any line graphics on the screen jiggle with Composite. Composite is just awful.

There is also a jump between S-Video and Component but I don't think that jump is as great as Composite to S-Video.

Is that more clear or did you get me the first time?

Well there is a HUGE jump between Composite and S-Video. Any line graphics on the screen jiggle with Composite. Composite is just awful.

There is also a jump between S-Video and Component but I don't think that jump is as great as Composite to S-Video.

Is that more clear or did you get me the first time?

Oh I got what you said the first time, I just was...intrigued...at your lack of mention for HD.

Oh I got what you said the first time, I just was...intrigued...at your lack of mention for HD.

Indeed. Component allows for progressive svan 480p and much higher HD resolutions. Depending on your set, there could be a HUGE jump with component.

Indeed. Component allows for progressive svan 480p and much higher HD resolutions. Depending on your set, there could be a HUGE jump with component.

How come s-video cant do progressive scan? Bandwidth limitation, or just not worth the $$$ to implement?

You don't care much about HD resolutions then, eh? :p

Even without HD there's a big jump; S-Video only transmits half the colour resolution; which is very noticeable, in my opinion.

How come s-video cant do progressive scan? Bandwidth limitation, or just not worth the $$$ to implement?

I'm assuming bandwidth, but I'm honestly not sure why, exactly.