"Click to use ActiveX content"

Question

MightyJordan

Every time I come across a Flash file on the internet (ads, games) I can't use any of the features in the Flash file until I click on the file to activate it. Is there any way of stopping this as it is getting annoying since it popped up from nowhere. Did this come in a security update or is there something wrong with my security settings? I've got all internet settings set to the default levels.

21 answers to this question

PL_

Think this was in a recent update, it can't be that bad?

TheNay

Yea it was added by a recent update, Microsoft had to add this because of a patent infrigment or something.

I think its so annoying as well ;)

Koolance
Every time I come across a Flash file on the internet (ads, games) I can't use any of the features in the Flash file until I click on the file to activate it. Is there any way of stopping this as it is getting annoying since it popped up from nowhere. Did this come in a security update or is there something wrong with my security settings? I've got all internet settings set to the default levels.

If you are using Windows Explorer, dump it. Get Firefox and some extentions.

MightyJordan

No way, Jose. Firefox is awful. Give me IE any time. Firefox is to internet browsers what iPods are to MP3 players. They're too overrated, because they're different from the original. People like them, even though they are crap.

[bear]

No way, Jose. Firefox is awful. Give me IE any time. Firefox is to internet browsers what iPods are to MP3 players. They're too overrated, because they're different from the original. People like them, even though they are crap.

lol. most hilarious post of the year.

2xSilverKnight

rofl what a biaised statement.

JK1150

I thought it was a security feature to prevent websites from running hidden active x code. I'd like to know the real reason it was put in though if anyone can find out. Anyway, fool around with your security settings, see if that helps.

[bear]

I thought it was a security feature to prevent websites from running hidden active x code. I'd like to know the real reason it was put in though if anyone can find out. Anyway, fool around with your security settings, see if that helps.

its a patent infringement case they lost that involved this kinda of content running without any user interaction needed.. so now they changed it to where the user would have to do something to avoid fines.

MightyJordan
' date='Apr 29 2006, 21:03' post='587460780']

lol. most hilarious post of the year.

No, it's true. Also, in Firefox, you can't download a file and then run it directly. You have to save it and then open it. Plus it looks horrible. I prefer IE7 Beta 2 now that they've fixed some of the glitches.

Firefox and iPods have something else in common. I tried them and hated them.

OrganicPanda

school_yourself_next_time.png

im sorry mr jordan, but you talking a whole bunch of crap

Slimy

rofl what a biaised statement.

They were both biased statements. But Koolance was trolling in the thread instead of helping with the problem.

AFAIK the feature was added as a part of sp2. I agree with JK1150's post. Try looking for the option in tools>internet options>advanced. Maybe install on demand (internet explorer)? I'm not sure, I find it useful when sites force me to install quicktime or some other crap that I really don't want.

MightyJordan

school_yourself_next_time.png

im sorry mr jordan, but you talking a whole bunch of crap

When it says "open with file-roller" that sounds like an add-on to me. If Firefox can only get the same features of IE thanks to add-ons then it's useless. When I got Firefox it never let me open the file when I had the choice.

chavo

I haven't noticed this yet, maybe cause I haven't run IE in a while. But I kind of like this feature.

Does IE still download the flash or does it wait until you click on it? It's kind of like the flash-block extension for Firefox, which I use also.

NightmarE D

When it says "open with file-roller" that sounds like an add-on to me. If Firefox can only get the same features of IE thanks to add-ons then it's useless. When I got Firefox it never let me open the file when I had the choice.

I'm not a big fan of Firefox either since I've been using IE 7, but that's not an add-on for Firefox. That's a default setting built into it. There's no extensions or add-ons needed. It says "open with fire-roller" because that would be the default app that he'd use for a cd image. You could click the arrow to bring up a menu of other apps.

Also, that's a pretty good security feature in IE 7 to have to click OK or Run everytime there's an activex control. Just think about all the sites that use activex controls to install malware or viruses without you even knowing because there wasn't anything to keep that control from running.

It can be a little annoying sometimes yeah, but it's a good security feature. Especially if other people besides you use that computer.

I haven't noticed this yet, maybe cause I haven't run IE in a while. But I kind of like this feature.

Does IE still download the flash or does it wait until you click on it? It's kind of like the flash-block extension for Firefox, which I use also.

I've noticed that if it's used to install something it'll bring up the window asking to run it. If it's just a simple ad or something like a site menu, it'll be loaded but you'll see white box around that flash area until you click on that to actually activate it.

Here's an example of what it does with a site menu:

post-101330-1146344392_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightmarE D
Kaidiir

Greatest thing I've heard all week. :punk:

Barney T.

When it says "open with file-roller" that sounds like an add-on to me.

File Roller is an archive manager for the GNOME desktop environment, used in Linux.

Barney

OrganicPanda

i cant beleive someone could be so ignorant lol, 'file roller' is the app that a cd image would open with if i had downloaded it and executed it , firefox is cutting out that stage and therefore effectvely letting me 'download a file and then run it directly' as you put it, its not an add on, have you even ever used firefox? i know you said you did but this is pretty fundamental stuff

anyhoo i just realised all of my posts have been off-topic, i know i would find that feature very annoying allthough i can see it has its upsides... im wondering if they would let you turn it off if it has legal issues surrounding it

MasterC

File-Roller isn't an addon. It's the archive manager for Gnome. Henceforth, he's running a Linux distro. :rolleyes:

btw- Firefox is better, IE is crap. (That's right, I said it! :shiftyninja: )

NightmarE D

People can stop with the "IE is crap" comments now. Some people like IE and some like Firefox, some like both. Get over it and stay on topic

MightyJordan

I think it still downloads the flash.