Sega unveils Sonic Rivals for PSP

SEGA? of America, Inc. and SEGA? Europe Ltd. today announced the development of Sonic Rivals exclusively for the PSP? (PlayStation?Portable) system. Sonic Rivals is a head-to-head competition between Sonic and his top rivals, where the gloves are off and winner takes all! Built from the ground-up, the engine allows gamers to rip through tracks in some high-spirited single player and wireless multiplayer action against friends as Sonic returns in a whole new racing-platformer with classic 2D gameplay in true 3D environments for gamers on the go.

What starts as a friendly competition between Sonic and Knuckles quickly intensifies as Shadow and other rivals jump into the action. Sonic Rivals allows gamers to utilize boost moves and power-ups to trip, shove, and vault over each other while hurtling towards the finish line at breakneck speeds. Players will negotiate wildly twisting 3D tracks while avoiding the insidious Dr. Eggman and his myriad of hazardous traps and contraptions.

"Sonic Rivals brings back the classic 2D platform gameplay that started it all, and douses it with vibrant three-dimensional environments," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "In this heated rivalry, gamers are tested to prove not only who's the fastest but who has the best head-to-head gameplay strategy."

In Sonic Rivals, gamers can play as one of four different characters from the Sonic Universe, each with separate fast and winding storylines. In addition, the extensive rewards system, which is based on collecting trading cards, allows players to customize their favorite characters. Connect via wireless to race against a friend, and put trading cards on the line for even more multiplayer challenges.

Debuting on the SEGA Genesis in 1991, Sonic The Hedgehog is one of the world's best-selling and most recognizable video game franchises and character. More than 44 million units later, the beloved blue hedgehog celebrates his 15th anniversary this year.

Sonic Rivals is slated for release in Fall 2006 and developed by the Vancouver-based studio of Backbone Entertainment, a division of Foundation 9 Entertainment.

http://www.sega.com/e3/2006/announcements_...em=pr_20060503a

ss_sonicrivals_03.jpg

ss_sonicrivals_05.jpg

ss_sonicrivals_01.jpg

:D

Looks awesome!!!!!!! Hope to see more great games coming out for the psp soon!

:|

I have to get a PSP now!

I know, same here. I've been wanting a 3D 2D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure. Finally we get one. :wub:

Ok can someone explain to me what the hell a "2D gameplay 3D environment" Sonic game is please?

they use 3d graphics but you have the same controls as you would in a 2d game....kinda like the new mario game for DS

Sorry but how can this be 2D gameplay if the camera rotates like crazy? The camera should be almost fixed although it does not need to be as fixed as the New Super Mario Bros game but please SEGA make this right dang it.

Sorry but how can this be 2D gameplay if the camera rotates like crazy? The camera should be almost fixed although it does not need to be as fixed as the New Super Mario Bros game but please SEGA make this right dang it.

Yeah those screens aren't making sense to me. Thanks to Sonic Adventure, when I think of cameras in a 3d Sonic game, I think of throwing up.

Yeah those screens aren't making sense to me. Thanks to Sonic Adventure, when I think of cameras in a 3d Sonic game, I think of throwing up.

Its easy to understand, its still a left to right 2d scrolly platform game, but the camera can move around and the path can go into the background or come into the screen instead of just a flat horizontal platform.

Yeah it's the same 2D gameplay as the original Sonic games, but it's represented in 3D instead of using 2D sprites. It should be one of the fastest Sonic games yet.

And to the retards who give my topic 1 star for no reason, grow up.

Now that is impressive, if that game is as good as it looks and plays then I'm getting a PSP :D .

PSG22

If anyone is still having trouble understanding the 2D/3D concept (although it really isn't that hard), here is a good example:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bHMcWoGNlTU

Good example of the 2D gameplay in a 3D environment.

off-topic: That Mario game reminds me too much of Super Smash Bros. from the N64. The damage represented in percentages, the barrels which weren't a part of any Mario game since the original Donkey Kong game (where Mario had to jump over the barrels and get to the princess or whatever, the barrels came from DK in Super Smash Bros., not Mario!). . . I don't think I'll get it. . . Once Paper Mario came out, I started to dislike Mario. . . For some reason, I'm a PURE 2D enthusiast when it comes to the classics (except for offline-based RPGs).