New Mac Without Jaguar?!?

Hey Guys, just got myself a new iMac yesterday from the local Apple store but I noted one thing... It doesn't have jaguar! It's running 10.1.4 but I though all new iMacs where suppose to come with Jaguar (10.2) am I missing something here? Goes easy on me, it's my first mac.

No, if you bought it from an official Apple store, it should have 3 CD's with it, to upgrade to Jag, for free. If you haven't got these, go back into the apple store and bitch your ass off. If it was jut a reseller, then bitch anyway ;)

Originally posted by Yazoo

whats the best place in the UK to get a great deal on an iMAC?

I tried my local PCworld but they didn't have the 17" Widescreen with superdrive version I want. :(

I bought mine from here:

http://www.cwonline.co.uk/index.tpl?cart=3...g4&link=section

You could always try a refurbished model as well:

http://registration.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

If you bought an iMac that had been sitting on a shelf for a few months it won't have OS X 10.2... But you can get upgrade CD's for $20 at www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate (I think)

If you were to cry to the place where you bought the computer they may give you the CD's for free, and if you really word your cries right you can get the full retail CD's which is a good thing.

Remember all.... you can do an archive and install of OS X from the retail CD's, but not from the update CD's

Archive and install is a super good way to fix system errors without having to change any preferences or documents... sorta like a clean install of OS X except that it won't mess up your preferences... YOU WANT THE RETAIL CD'S!!!

If you were to call up Apple CR and cry to them you might get the retail CD's too, but this is a shot in the dark....

Thanks Guys! Went to the store yesterday and they gave me the 3 CD's, I also picked up my free printer and got a nice $118 refund plus $100 printer rebate in the mail. Only problem with the cds is that they are the Upgrade cd's meaning I can't do a format and new installation :( Looks like I'll have to install good ol' 10.1 and then upgrade each time, or am I missing something here again? :p Thanks again everyone for all your help and I appreciate your comments as this is my first mac. Also I'd like to say that I am glad I made the switch and I love how all the aquafied apps look, and iDVD and iTunes are great! (BTW.. Don't go thinking I made the switch because of those less than persuasive ads on TV.:mad: ) And lastly feel free to post any 10.2 tips/must-have-apps you guys may have for a MAC newbie like me. :s Thanks again!

Originally posted by brn2prgrm

Looks like I'll have to install good ol' 10.1 and then upgrade each time, or am I missing something here again?

There's a way to convert the upgrade CD's to the full install, I'll find out.

This is how clean installing works in the different OS versions...

In the Old OS 8-9.2, a clean install would replace all System Folder files. This essentially replaces all the system software as well as preferences.

IN OS X 10.0 - 10.1 there is no clean install, only a dirty install which replaces files that are missing or have the wrong filesize. However, and this is important, if you update your OS to a newer version that the on on your cd you cannot successfully do a dirty install either. If you do a dirty install and have an older version on the CD your computer may not start back up and you might be looking at wiping the drive.

In OS X 10.2, they mad this really neat function to archive and install... Basically, this takes all the information in the Users folder, backs it up to a DMG, and then replaces all the system files. Finally it will tek the backed up DMG and restore the old Users folder. This will fix almost all system wide errors, but will not affect your settings!!! However, if the resides somewhere in your users folder (like a corrupt finder preference file), then an archive and install will not fix your problems. Archive and install is not an option in the OS X 10.2 update CD's, only on the full retail CD's.

If you have OS X 10.2, and the retail CD's here is how you can go about fixing wierd problems...

1. trash the preference files for any application not working right

2. make a new user and see if hte problem exists there.

3. archive and install.

If you end up with a system wide error and only have the OS X 10.2 Upgrade CD's. you will have to format the drive, install OS X 10.1 and then OS X 10.2 to fix ther error... A very long and angering situation.

Originally posted by Slacker

If you end up with a system wide error and only have the OS X 10.2 Upgrade CD's. you will have to format the drive, install OS X 10.1 and then OS X 10.2 to fix ther error... A very long and angering situation.

Dang, I guess it would've been nice if Apple would've given us the retail CD's insead of the upgrade cds.... Oh well, looks like it's just going to take longer and loose all my settings if I need to reinstall jaguar :(