XGL on Suse 10.1 Final

how is xgl is it still very unstable ?

On my ubuntu install, it (or compiz) crashes the system after 5-10mins. Don't worry, it's being developed quite actively.

From what I've read it seems to be at least half way decent on Suse 10.1...As long as you have a NVidia card (not ATI) it seems to be quite easy to install and relatively stable to run. Though honestly I don't see the real benefit behind a lot of the pretty "features" ...the wobble? What's the point? Ah well.

hough honestly I don't see the real benefit behind a lot of the pretty "features" ...the wobble? What's the point? Ah well.
I don't like any of the eye candy, either, with the possible exception of an occasional transparency (the flux menu might be nice, or a terminal window).

However, I am all in favor of a system that takes dragging a window off of my CPU and puts it onto the GPU. It gives users more CPU horsepower. :yes:

...the wobble? What's the point? Ah well.

Just reduce the wobble to zip and you have a hardware accelerated, transparent and shadow'ed application windows that take no CPU to move around - a definite bonus in my eyes.

Naturally being a Mac'er, I'm not very impressed with all this as I've been able to run all this on a 400MHZ G3 and ATi Rage with 32MB :p

However, I am all in favor of a system that takes dragging a window off of my CPU and puts it onto the GPU. It gives users more CPU horsepower. :yes:

Very true I didn't even think about that. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Wrecked my SUSE 10.1 , couldn't launch kde or gnome. Had an error "unable to write to .ICEauthority. However though finding the permissions were rehanged back from root to me no effect. I even tried another solution that worked on a SUSE 9.3 when something similar happened, that was to delete the ICEauthority and DCOPserver_linux__0 which solved the problem. However there seems to be no DCOPserver in my SUSE 10.1 home directory. A result of using xgl rather than xorg I suppose. I followed the tutorial at novell however I have found there are a couple of different methods so perhaps the one I used was incorrect. I am going to try again directly after a fresh in stall before I setup other things to my liking. :cool:

On SUSE 10.1 this OK if you have gnome. Works like a charm with nvidia fx 5700 go. However KDE doesn't work very well. The taskbar can't list any windows and pager is dead when compiz is running. MS word is broken too.

Xgl is awesome! Probably one of the best developments for Linux on the end user side. I did a demo at work earlier today, because we're thinking of switching to Linux, and although most of the features of Xgl don't have a practical application, the fact that innovation like this is happening and at a rapid rate and will be available before Vista is released is just bloody awesome!

Note: I didn't have to do all of that work for my Dell OptiPlex GX520 at work. I installed the source packages through YaST, opened a terminal session up and typed gnome-xgl-settings and clicked to enable the 3D desktop and boom it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

On SUSE 10.1 this OK if you have gnome. Works like a charm with nvidia fx 5700 go. However KDE doesn't work very well. The taskbar can't list any windows and pager is dead when compiz is running. MS word is broken too.

Works like a charm for kde on my SUSE 10.1 Kde machine, yes the pager is dead but you can use the compiz cube effect to do the same thing. Also my kicker bar shows windows in the task bar. :cool:

• 1 month later...

So im installing Suse10.1.. install KDE or GNOME? so far.. KDE has been very fast compared to gnome on my laptop from the live dvd.. i wanna install kde and also have xgl.. can it be done easily?

Does this work for Intel integrated graphics cards? So far I get the sense that it only works for fancy shmancy nvidia or ati cards. glxgears does work for me.

It is more stable than I thought it would be, it runs smooth for me and hasn't really crashed. I'm running Xgl/Compiz on AMD64 Gentoo, with an ATI X700 Pro PCI-e

xgl is okay, I suppose. It looks nice but it's impractical. The wobble effect looks so stupid it's funny.

I used to think that also, but it's really grows on you. Most of the videos show a pretty hard wobble but you can turn it down. It really gives the UI a feeling of being alive. It gives you the feeling of working with something tangible instead of a bunch of pixels on a screen.

I don't really care for transparency myself but for some people it's cool. Shadows are really a nice feature also. As others have said the biggest attraction is having your UI rendered by the GPU. It really speeds things up and it's much more responsive. You can use XGL without compiz or the window decorator, and you can see the difference in rendering speed. The effects are just the icing on the cake.