Best HDTV for under $1000

I'm looking to buy an HDTV, but I'm having trouble deciding on a brand/model/etc. I have about $1000 to spend, but I would rather spend less if possible.

I want to get a widescreen TV at around 30" or so. I don't care if it's LCD or CRT, and my main use for the TV would be playing xbox 360 and watching dvds.

I was looking into getting this: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/pr...sp?model=30hf66 but I was wondering if anyone has any better ideas... I know a lot of the users on this forum know a lot about HDTV so I figured I might as well ask before I make the plunge. Thanks! :)

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4051474

a little smaller than 30...but i'm just not a fan of crts anymore. there's a 32" that goes for around $1250...

Generally speaking, CRT's still give some of the best pictures, especially in terms of black levels and such. They also handle standard definition much better than fixed pixel displays do.

Nice looking CRT! I hope they sell it anywhere around here, cheap and being CRT it must have good blacks. bangbang023 have you used that TV?

ah well I checked and they don't have it :( only SDTVs.

Nice looking CRT! I hope they sell it anywhere around here, cheap and being CRT it must have good blacks. bangbang023 have you used that TV?

Yes. It really excels on the HD. I haven't noticed any of the severe geometry issues that were evident on last year's models, though I must admit I need more time looking at the various images on the set to be certain. It's beautiful looking though and is designed to look like their LCD's, aesthetically, from the front.

Generally speaking, CRT's still give some of the best pictures, especially in terms of black levels and such. They also handle standard definition much better than fixed pixel displays do.

in terms of colors, yeah. but you still have phosphor lag, geometry, size, weight, etc. i can barely move my 27" crt with 2 people. i can carry a 32" lcd all by myself. but it always depends on your needs.

That Toshiba is nice, but I like this samsung a bit more.

i was looking at TX-S3079WH, im going to see if i can find the TX-S3082WH around here

edit: oh looks like the TX-S3079WH is the only model available for canada...

i was looking at TX-S3079WH, im going to see if i can find the TX-S3082WH around here

edit: oh looks like the TX-S3079WH is the only model available for canada...

You guys seem to have been ignored this year. I've seen an abnormal amount of new models simply not appearing north of the border.