Different spec PS3 in the future?

Yeah and at what cost? Now the console is even bigger than the original xbox ( I hope to see many of you Sony fanboys complain just like you did about the Xbox's weight/size, you don't want to be hypocrites now do you? ;) ).

Not to mention it's now going to generate a tonne of heat inside the console itself (note all the extra vents in this years version to no doubt tackle this), so possible over heating issues could be not far behind?

And did he just say "this is the good way" unlike the PS2 slimline? So now he's mocking Sony's own products?

Wow... :/

The PS3 is barely bigger than the 360. If the PSU was internal in the 360, the 360 would be huge.

I believe he was mocking the X360.

You are right, the PS2 Slimline had the PSU outside, just like the X360. The only difference is that the PS2 Slimline was... nano size, the X360 is still a big console.

or if its separate from the system, like the slim PS2 and the Xbox 360

Sounds like he's mocking both to me.

And of course the 360 is bigger, no one is denying that. But compared to the original Xbox and now the PS3 it is smaller.

The slimline was released a long time after the PS2 was launched and they were able to take advantage of replacing parts which were much smaller. The 360 is like 6/7 months old, whose to say there won't be a smaller version somewhere down the line. I won't even bother going into the technical details inside of each console which makes a difference at this point in time :rolleyes:

Also I read a quote on Neowin somewhere today, I think it was Phil Harrison saying "the PS3 is more like a computer now" HA, and not one Sony fan bats an eyelid to a time they would complain the Xbox was "too much like a PC".

Jeez :rofl:

Edit: Surrieall, just as well that's only an if then isn't it? ;)

Edited by DrunknMunky

Sounds like he's mocking both to me.

And of course the 360 is bigger, no one is denying that. But compared to the original Xbox and now the PS3 it is smaller.

The slimline was released a long time after the PS2 was launched and they were able to take advantage of replacing parts which were much smaller. The 360 is like 6/7 months old, whose to say there won't be a smaller version somewhere down the line. I won't even bother going into the technical details inside of each console which makes a difference at this point in time :rolleyes:

Also I read a quote on Neowin somewhere today, I think it was Phil Harrison saying "the PS3 is more like a computer now" HA, and not one Sony fan bats an eyelid to a time they would complain the Xbox was "too much like a PC".

Jeez :rofl:

Edit: Surrieall, just as well that's only an if then isn't it? ;)

It's only called "like a PC" because more than half of it's good games are avalible on the PC.

edit; To make a 360 run you need more space. There I win. 360 is bigger.

It's only called "like a PC" because more than half of it's good games are avalible on the PC.

Maybe that has something to do with lots of the good games being owned by Microsoft Game Studios and them wanting to port it to Windows? :shifty:

Bhav: it doesn't need to, it runs Linux instead which last time I checked, does run on PC's :laugh:

Maybe that has something to do with lots of the good games being owned by Microsoft Game Studios and them wanting to port it to Windows? :shifty:

Bhav: it doesn't need to, it runs Linux instead which last time I checked, did run on PC's :laugh:

Maybe, but it sure lessens the appeal of a 360 when I can get Oblivion and GRAW the best games on the 360 currently for the PC.

Why are threads like this always dominated by the people obsessed with one console and nothing but hate for another?

It feels like the way people argue politically as Liberal or Conservative. Why the heck do reasonable people in the middle always get left out eh? :p:P.

Personally for me the price is the biggest problem. I've already bought a 360 for $499 (CAD) and the PS3 is going to be around $699! Yes I know there's a cheaper version, but I'm not the type of person who buys a lesser version of a video console. And the fact that my T.V. happens to have HDMI also means I would love to use my port finally (and component always looks terrible to me, which is why I use VGA for my 360).

Now the games.. I honestly think the PS3 launch in terms of games will be weaker then the 360. Granted the 360 launch lineup wasn't "incredible" but it did have a few A class titles. So considering the price is too high I might as well wait until the really good games come out (MGS4, Latest FF titles).

Why are threads like this always dominated by the people obsessed with one console and nothing but hate for another?

It feels like the way people argue politically as Liberal or Conservative. Why the heck do reasonable people in the middle always get left out eh? :p:P.

Personally for me the price is the biggest problem. I've already bought a 360 for $499 (CAD) and the PS3 is going to be around $699! Yes I know there's a cheaper version, but I'm not the type of person who buys a lesser version of a video console. And the fact that my T.V. happens to have HDMI also means I would love to use my port finally (and component always looks terrible to me, which is why I use VGA for my 360).

Now the games.. I honestly think the PS3 launch in terms of games will be weaker then the 360. Granted the 360 launch lineup wasn't "incredible" but it did have a few A class titles. So considering the price is too high I might as well wait until the really good games come out (MGS4, Latest FF titles).

I agree whole heartedly, honestly I do. I have no doubts the PS3 will be a great console and I will buy it when the price drops. Right now there isn't enough games which interest me and the price is too high. The one thing that really p****s me off though is when I read over the years of PS2 owners who slag the Xbox for it's size/weight or being "like a PC" and then the PS3 is all of those things now and not one bad thing to say about it..

As for GRAW and Oblivion, third party titles? They should be on any platform they want to be. MGS2 and GTA are now on Xbox so what? Does that lessen the appeal of The PS2/3? And those are some of Sony's big titles. Albeit we haven't seen a MGS title on Xbox ever since, but it happened once, might happen again :yes:

Since when did Kojima revoke MGS4's launch title status?

I agree whole heartedly, honestly I do. I have no doubts the PS3 will be a great console and I will buy it when the price drops. Right now there isn't enough games which interest me and the price is too high. The one thing that really p****s me off though is when I read over the year of PS2 owners who slag the Xbox for it's size/weight or being "like a PC" and then the PS3 is all of those things now and not one bad thing to say about it..

Well, then Xbox was criticized for being too much like a PC it was usually referring to the amount of PC ported games, not the actual system. PS3 is like a PC in a whole other way: it runs Linux. In a way, it *is* a PC if you want to look at it that way, I guess. As for the size/weight, here goes: PS3 is slightly larger than Xbox360. However, that doesn't account for the fact that Xbox360 uses an external PSU. If it had an internal PSU it would be larger than the PS3 is. I really don't see why anybody cares all that much about the size and weight of the system though :s Not like it's a laptop..I'm not a fanboy for either side, BTW. I own an Xbox and a Playstation 2, and am planning on buying a Playstation 3 and a Wii.

One thing that does bother me, though: many people say Sony isn't original, it is just making pretty games. Well if that's true..isn't Microsoft guilty of the same? I mean alright, Sony's motion sensitive controller might have been a bit of a duplication of Nintendo's idea. But what else? Will you tell me the inclusion of a hard drive or of an online service is 'copying'? Following that logic, Xbox using DVD as an optical format was copying from Playstation 2. These things are just progress people..bound to happen on all consoles eventually. If that is 'coping', then just about every cell phone in the market that has BlueTooth is copying the first phone that used it...

you can argue the psu thing either way. if my 360 psu dies, no biggie. if it dies in your ps3, then you're gonna be bored for a while.

i don't care who's system it is, i'm never a fan of any hardware upgrades unless they are available for everybody.

Bhav: it doesn't need to, it runs Linux instead which last time I checked, does run on PC's :laugh:

Did you read what I said? I said that the day it runs Windows is the day it's too much like a PC.

There's no point having a console operating as a PC if the OS is not secure, prone to viruses and, well, useless.

Linux means it's not just a PC - it will allow a lot more: programming, homebrew apps and games, hacking, running a (secure) server etc.

The Xbox was criticised for being too much like a PC because it was built like a PC, its OS began as Windows 2000, but it couldn't do what a PC does. The PS3 will be different.

Here is the lesson. If you're gonna have an OS in your console, at least let it be a good one (Linux).

Or one that's free, open source, and means you don't have to pay royalties to your major competitor in the gaming market?

Or one that's free, open source, and means you don't have to pay royalties to your major competitor in the gaming market?

Yeah, you don't want a competitor making money off of your product.

you can argue the psu thing either way. if my 360 psu dies, no biggie. if it dies in your ps3, then you're gonna be bored for a while.

How do you figure ?

Since when did Kojima revoke MGS4's launch title status?

at the end of the E3 trailer, when it said "coming: 2006" -> "coming 2008" -> "coming 2007". It's coming in 2007, and the PS3 is coming in novmeber 2006. Hence it is no launch title.

Not to mention it's now going to generate a tonne of heat inside the console itself (note all the extra vents in this years version to no doubt tackle this), so possible over heating issues could be not far behind?

What's that? Like, a gram of temperature?

Besides, we don't know how the PS3 will be cooled. If they put the PSU inside the console, its possible to add cooling mechanisms to it. With an external unit, do you really want the noise of the console fan AND the noise of the PSU fan? No. That's why external PSUs (AFAIK) have no fan.

Also, as a PS2Linux kit owner, I'm confident about the decision to run Linux. Sony's homebrew game documentation is very thorough and the APIs are well built. Also, the ability to run linux should open up some very nice gaming possibilities (want a good BF2 server? feel like playing doom3 without a ps3 port? I'm confident, albeit not sure, these will run on PS3 Linux, if Sony remove the free-software-only limiation of PS2L. After all, the PS3 is built around open-source initiatives like OpenGL).

As far as a second HDMI port is concerned, I don't think too many people care. OK, that implies a more powerful GPU coming, but my guess is that it'll be throttled down to minimise heat generation, and to ensure a unified experience. The number of peoplewho own 2 HDTVs is quite small, I should think. Larger stock HDDs might be a problem, though - say developers go about with the mindset "oh, we can use 8GB for HD textures and models, because the new PS3s come with 300GB storage". What about the guys with only 20GB? Almost half their space would be taken up.

I'm pretty sure Sony will do a user-swappable HDD anyway. And even if they don't, you have a gigabit ethernet for streaming, and USB 2.0 for external drives, and BluRay itself has a high data transfer rate, that shouldn't need too much information stored on the HDD (it will usually be for caching, I think).

I'm pretty sure Sony will do a user-swappable HDD anyway. And even if they don't, you have a gigabit ethernet for streaming, and USB 2.0 for external drives, and BluRay itself has a high data transfer rate, that shouldn't need too much information stored on the HDD (it will usually be for caching, I think).

Its already confirmed. There is a tray on the left side of the console for it.

Its already confirmed. There is a tray on the left side of the console for it.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but is it a secondary hard drive you can add? Because than you can boot up from the main drive and only access the second drive for content. That could make sense...

How do you figure ?

Because with the Xbox 360's exteranl PSU, if it dies, you can just replace that. With the PS3s, since it's internal, you'd need to replace the whole PS3. I think that's what BroChaos meant.

Because with the Xbox 360's exteranl PSU, if it dies, you can just replace that. With the PS3s, since it's internal, you'd need to replace the whole PS3. I think that's what BroChaos meant.

By your logic then, if a computer PSU dies, you must replace the whole computer (and that is certainly not true).

By your logic then, if a computer PSU dies, you must replace the whole computer (and that is certainly not true).

Wrong. With a PC, you can open it up and replace the PSU without worrying about voiding warranties, not true with a console, obviously.

Yes I think that's what he meant as well.

But you can't just assume the PSU is going to fail because Xbox 360 has so many PSU issues.

Nobody is assuming anything, BroChaos was just pointing out the fact that a defective PSU in an Xbox 360 is less of a hassle/concern than with a defective PSU in the PS3 simply because it's internal.

Wrong. With a PC, you can open it up and replace the PSU without worrying about voiding warranties, not true with a console, obviously.

Actually, if you have an OEM computer, you do void your warranty by opening the computer up.

Regardless, I like the idea of having the PSU on the outside instead of the inside. At the end, as long as it doesn't fail then it doesn't matter to me.