[Question] Which router?

Hey guys,

I am going to buy a new WIRELESS router but I have no idea which one to go for. I am currently using the D-link DI-614+ which is quite old and I get frequent disconnects on wireless connections when heavy traffic is flowing through. I do alot of downloading through bittorrent mostly and also I play many games on the internet. Which wireless router would be best for me? I was looking at the DLINK DGL-4300 or the LinkSys WRT54GS. Any other recommendations? I don't know very much. I want one that doesn't disconnect on me !!!

Thanks.

What's your budget? There are a lot of good ones out there, I always go Linksys too - I've personally got the WAG354G and never had a serious problem that a quick reboot won't fix. Oh, and the last time I had to do that was over 3 months ago!!

Ad

I have a Linksys WRT54GS for $80 Canadian and it's excellent with the hacked firmware.

BTW, do not get the latest version, which is v5 I believe. You can't use hacked firmware with it and your connection will constantly drop.

I got the v2. :)

See if you can get the WRT54GS, linux version or sometimes just referred to as v2. It has open source firmware and there are lots of different versions of it that have all sorts of really nice features. I personally have 2 of these routers, one of which took a hit from lightening and still works! (two ports are dead though)

Why are you guys saying to not get the latest version? I have a v5 and I have never had a disconnect from any device. For what this guy wants to do v5 is probably fine.

Why are you guys saying to not get the latest version? I have a v5 and I have never had a disconnect from any device. For what this guy wants to do v5 is probably fine.

For Bittorrent, it's a mess. Trust me.

The older versions of the WRT54GS had a faster CPU so that they could run the linux firmware... the only thing was, they have a tendancy to run hot sometimes so make sure you have it in a well ventilated area...

For Bittorrent, it's a mess. Trust me.

I know what you mean, however my connections never dropped. They just went really slow. I solved that problem by disabling logging and that fixed it :|

Well, my budget is just anything not over $500CDN... which i believe can buy most routers at retail stores hehehe. How do I make sure that the Linksys WRT54GS is not v5? Are all the new ones at stores v5 now?

WRT54G

CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 125Mhz

CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 125Mhz

CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 125Mhz

CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 125Mhz

CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CDFA = WRT54G v4.0 / BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CDFB = WRT54G v5.0 / BCM5352EKPB Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

NOTE: The WRT54G v5.0 has 2Mb/8Mb Ram, it uses VxWorks OS and is incompatable with 3rd Party Firmware.

except micro dd-wrt

WRT54GL

CL7A = WRT54GL v1.0 / BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CL7B = WRT54GL v1.1/ BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

WRT54GS

CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0 / ADM6996L Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN4 = WRT54GS v2.1 / BCM5325EKQM Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN5 = WRT54GS v3.0 / BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0 / BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

CGN7 = WRT54GS v5.0 /

NOTE: The WRT54GS v5.0 uses VxWorks OS and is incompatable with 3rd Party Firmwares.

except micro dd-wrt

there are the serial numbers, just look on the box

From the post you just made, which ones are the serial numbers?

Also, where on the box is it? just to make everything more simple :D

Thanks

So, if i want the WRT54GS, I'll jhave to look for either CGN0, or anything else except for CGN7, because CGN7 is a v5.0 ?

Yes. BUT i would get a WRT54GL to be sure because the old versions are getting hard to find.

depends if you want to flash it with third party firmware.

Hmmm, but the WRT54GL doesn't have speedbooster right? Is speedbooster even worth thinking about? And can you find WRT54GL's at local electronic stores like BestBuy or Futureshop?

Ok, I just came back from Futureshop and I bought a:

CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0 / BCM5352E Chipset / CPU 200Mhz

This is version4.0, is it any good or worth keeping? And also, which firmware should I install onto it?

Congrats you found a winner. I personly run HYPERWRT THIBOR 15C. A lot of people also use DD-WRT.

I suggest you go to linksys info.org and learn everthing WRT. NOT to promote another forum but they

are dedicated to the wrt and third party firmwares.

How would I upgrade to the HyperWRT Thibor 15C on my WRT54GS V4? Isn't there some special steps I have to take with the V4? Like upgrade to the DD-WRT v23 mini first? something like that?