Gatlin breaks world 100m record

Happened a couple of days ago but Justin Gatlin has now broke the world 100m record clocking 9.76 sec to break Asafa Powell's mark by one-hundredth of a second.

Source: BBC SPORT

If only he had been 0.002 seconds quicker, he could of been the new world record holder.

I still find it hard to imagine someone can run 10 metres every second :blink:

If only he had been 0.002 seconds quicker, he could of been the new world record holder.

I still find it hard to imagine someone can run 10 metres every second :blink:

No he wouldn't, he'd still be at 9.77.

In track, you round up no matter what. If he ran a 9.761, it'd be a 9.77. He has to run 9.751 to 9.760 to actually get 9.76. It's strange, I know, but this is basically to compensate for how fast the track itself is. .001 converts to a centimeter or less, if I remember correctly, which can be the difference between a rough track and a fast one.

Just think if Ben Johson had not got caught the world record could be under 9 seconds.

No it couldn't. Even with steroids, it wouldn't be under 9, I promise you that. Same story with Tim Montgomery.

No it couldn't. Even with steroids, it wouldn't be under 9, I promise you that. Same story with Tim Montgomery.

Ill second that, no way it could be under 9. .77 is a huge amount of time when it comes to the 100m.