20GB PlayStation 3 will be upgradeable, says Sony

Wi-Fi and memory card adaptors on the way

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has dismissed rumours that the 20GB PS3 will not be compatible with wireless controllers, and that consumers will not have the option to upgrade the hard drive.

"Both queries to my knowledge are completely false," a spokesperson told GI.biz.

"Both configurations will support bluetooth PS3 controllers. The only non-upgradeable feature of the 20GB configuration will be the HDMI output."

This confirms comments made by Sony's Phil Harrison in a recent interview with GI.biz, where he stated: "You can upgrade to whatever size of drive you like. You can put in any drive that you like - it is a computer, after all."

The spokesperson went on to reveal that Sony plans to release a Wi-Fi adaptor for the 20GB PlayStation 3. Consumers will also have the option to purchase a separate adaptor that will allow the use of memory sticks, SD cards and compact flash cards with the machine.

However, there's still no word as to whether the 20GB PlayStation 3 will make it to the UK at all.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17035

Good news :) :D

All this crap started from GamesRadar - they were the first to bulls*** about the 20GB requiring wired controllers and the HDD not being upgradable.

The '20GB PS3 not available in the UK' is interesting - personally, I'd prefer it because it just means a better chance that I'll get the package that I want, but for a lot of people it'll be frustrating cos we're already being ripped off, and then we're forced to buy the more expensive one as well.

That was unexpected, to say the least. I can bet a ton of people will now probably purchase the 20gb version for the simple fact they can upgrade the HDD at a later date and make it compatible to wireless controllers.

That was unexpected, to say the least. I can bet a ton of people will now probably purchase the 20gb version for the simple fact they can upgrade the HDD at a later date and make it compatible to wireless controllers.

Yep, and I am one of those people.

the 20Gb version will be compatible with the wireless controllers from the start though.

It may ship with wired controllers, but will be able to use the wireless bluetooth controllers without any add on.

That gamesradar article was a load of rubbish that they made up.

Sony have already confirmed that both packages will ship with the wireless controller.

So yes, L3thal is right in saying that people will just buy the 20GB and upgrade if necessary.

I coudn't believe it when people started shouting "not upgradable this, not upgradable that". The only challenge that the 20gig version faces is whether the Blu Ray standard will allow a non HDMI connection to play the Blu-Ray movies. Otherwise the cheap(er) PS3 might as well ship with a DVD player.

I think the package deal is much better than the Xbox one, why, because having a hard drive included straight away opens up so much more for game manufacturers, being able to utilise it automatically. Everyone keeps getting confused with wirelss and bluetooth too, the controllers are bluetooth, that will be included in both systems. I don't really need a card ready although buying that at a later date might be desirable.

Not that I'm that bothered, I won't be able to afford either version for a few years anyway.

It's good news. The 60GB version is just beautiful with it's chrome so I would never take the cheaper one just for that fact :) Although I'm pretty sure Decal Girl will offer something to spice up the look of the 20GB version...

First of all it's Sony's own fault how many people are angry about this, there is nobody else to blame. They started with the 720p/1080i is not true HD and next gen is all about 1080p. They hyped up HDMI so much people were starting to believe everything else was junk. Now how many have TVs capable of RECIEVEING 1080p? No I don't mean the 1080p TVs that only upscale 1080i. It does not mean the end for Sony however.

Im so glad that sony game out with news that they will allow us to spend even more money to upgrade it. Im glad they are gonna alow me to spend more of my money on an already overpriced system.

theres so much anti sony crap being spread that its hard to find out whats fact.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

However I just don't anything anyone says till maybe a month before.

No HDMI = not upgradeable.

If you guys bought that the 20GB version would lack wireless controllers then you obviously missed the spec sheets from Sony's website.

First of all it's Sony's own fault how many people are angry about this, there is nobody else to blame. They started with the 720p/1080i is not true HD and next gen is all about 1080p. They hyped up HDMI so much people were starting to believe everything else was junk. Now how many have TVs capable of RECIEVEING 1080p? No I don't mean the 1080p TVs that only upscale 1080i. It does not mean the end for Sony however.

Everything else is junk when it comes to playing back a BluRay movie. HDMI, for copy protection reasons, is required to output anything higher than a DVD-quality signal.

But not the HDMI port. I remember when they were going to have two, now its 0 or 1 :whistle: , well it doesnt matter .. right?

Can someone explain more about that no memory card slot/no wi-fi deal ? Like give me examples on what devices won't work.

Well the memory card reader is just used to read MSDuo/SD/CF/etc cards for pictures and music and stuff. If you have a USB thumb drive you can use that instead on the $499 model. And the WiFi is just used to connect your PS3 up to a wireless network in your house. If you use a network cable, or don't have a wireless router/access point, then you don't need WiFi.

If the 360 will be able to use a HDMI cable from the AV output, then I don't see why the PS3 can't do the same.

Edited by Mojo

Well the memory card reader is just used to read MSDuo/SD/CF/etc cards for pictures and music and stuff. If you have a USB thumb drive you can use that instead on the $499 model. And the WiFi is just used to connect your PS3 up to a wireless network in your house. If you use a network cable, or don't have a wireless router/access point, then you don't need WiFi.

If the 360 will be able to use a HDMI cable from the AV output, then I don't see why the PS3 can't do the same.

Thanks. You just helped me save $100.

I will be transfering things to and from my Playstation 3 through my local network, so I don't need the card reader. I don't have anything wireless so I don't need the WiFi. And my TV doesn't have an HDMI input, so I don't really need that. It seems I'll be getting the $500 base system..except for one thing. The $600 version has that slick silver lining on it instead of an all black look. Am I vain enough to shell out $100 for a silver line? Bah, I'll just mod it to hell haha.

I'm pretty much on the fence between the models. My TV supports HDMI, but it's resolution is 720P, so why not go with the $500? I do have a wireless network, and I play older games too. I guess it is worth it in the end. Well, in my case anyways.