This is what i think Sony should have done...

Oh the support will be there :D The high and mighty Xbox360 sells real well over in USA, but is getting *murdered* in Japan. Playstation 3 will be adopted by Americans much in the same way as the Xbox 360 was, but with some added ridiculous sales in Japan. Considering 30 to 50 thousand Playstation 2s are still being sold weekly in Japan, sales estimates for Playstation 3 over there should be the following: sold out till there's a PS3 or two for every Jap household :p

Yeah, I heard the Xbox wasn't too popular over in Japan, so it seems the Japanese are preserving the tradition.

It's safe to say the PS3 and the Wii are going to totally different markets. Why are you saying they are competing? The 360 and PS3 are going to much more similar markets.

Like I said the DS is a competitor to the PSP just like the Wii is to PS3. It's different but its competing in the same market.

Like I said the DS is a competitor to the PSP just like the Wii is to PS3. It's different but its competing in the same market.

They may be competing in the same market (i.e. gaming), but not for the same demographic. Sure there'll be a lot of overlap, but Nintendo wants to "disrupt" ( :no: ) gaming, and make it "fun" for the family. Sony wants the PS3 to be a games console, PC and a media centre, so their target market is people who don't just want a games console.

They may be competing in the same market (i.e. gaming), but not for the same demographic. Sure there'll be a lot of overlap, but Nintendo wants to "disrupt" ( :no: ) gaming, and make it "fun" for the family. Sony wants the PS3 to be a games console, PC and a media centre, so their target market is people who don't just want a games console.

Just like my DS/PSP analogy. The PSP plays videos and does a lot more (more of an jack-of-all-trades than the DS). Yet both are competing in the same category.

Different demographics but same market.

I think the only thing that is bad about this is that when kids ask for a PS3 for their birthdays or Christmas or something they will get the wrong version. I can see this happening on multiple occasions.

I think the only thing that is bad about this is that when kids ask for a PS3 for their birthdays or Christmas or something they will get the wrong version. I can see this happening on multiple occasions.

I don't think kids will mind 720p instead of 1080p. Truely, the difference between the $500 and $600 are mostly technical and don't apply to many people's useage of the console.

I don't think kids will mind 720p instead of 1080p. Truely, the difference between the $500 and $600 are mostly technical and don't apply to many people's useage of the console.

But even that's not true - you'll still be able to get 1080p without HDMI.

So really, in the long term there is no difference whatsoever. Most people won't care about Wi-Fi or a memory card reader anyway.

If the kid gets a PS3 he should be greatful, at that price. :whistle: