[Review] Apple MacBook 13.3"

hey guys,

I managed to get my hands on my black MackBook 13.3" quickly this morning.

DSC00641.JPG

DSC00642.JPG

so far, my review is: It's beautiful.

i'm going to play around with it a bit and transfer everything over from my old 867mhz 12" :p

i'll post up new pics and finish this review later tonight.

---edit---

meh, i'm doing all the software updates now. there's a good 10 or 12 to do.

so meanwhile, i'll just talk about the physical aspects.

Okay, so the outside of the MacBook is polycarbonate. It feels similar to the iBook G4. One of the drawbacks is the cool touch that the PowerBook G4's have. Apple has taken out the button latch, and now just has a little indentation allowing you to just lift up the LCD (it's magnetic).

The bezel around the LCD is a little bit thicker than the PBG4, at 3/4ths of an inch. LOL, while measuring, I learned that the magnetic 'latch' is throughout the entire bezel, making a much more secure seal.

The touchpad is 4" wide (same depth), making scrolling much easier. I'm assuming the MacBook Pro's have the same (I never really checked). The keyboard has a whole new look now. imagine an inset soap dish, with holes about 1mm apart for keys. The keys peer out just enough so there's enough elevation to press them down nicely, but not enough to touch the screen while closed. It's gorgeously integrated.

That's pretty much all for now. (pics soon to come)

---edit 2---

So I finished installing BootCamp/XP and Counster-Strike: Source. I ran everything on it's default settings (pretty much medium or high on everything) using the native widescreen resolution of 1280*800, and sad to say, I only got some 10-15 fps. I personally don't mind too much, because I don't play games much. But for some of you i'm sure that comes as a big disappointment. I'm not sure if I needed to tweak anything or whatever. I just did everything cleanly installed (no other apps). I even ran it again using the minimum graphics settings and got the same 10-15 fps results. I ran it at default gfx settings @ 1024*768 and the game seemed to pick up a little more, but still quite laggy. I didn't check for fps on that one though.

---edit 3---

there's something wrong with one of the RAM lever.

it's supposed to be spring loaded to pop out.

so i have it all packaged up right now.

going to go get a new one tomorrow.

so sorry folks. no pics tonight.

tomorrow :)

Edited by SOOPAH256

congrats!

I ordered mine this morning on the online store, but it supposedly won't ship til the 25th :(

Maybe it's b/c I added the 120GB HDD

congrats!

I ordered mine this morning on the online store, but it supposedly won't ship til the 25th :(

Maybe it's b/c I added the 120GB HDD

I ordered mine as well stock and it is says May 23rd........grrrr :)

i was thinking about waiting. but i couldn't resist the purchase.

it's nice having an inside man.

but anyway, for those that are also thinking about the 120gb...

i opted to get this 100GB 7200rpm, and swap the included 80gb into an external.

I want to go to London and play with one.

I wish stock was 1gb ram and 80gb hard disk :(

More pics!

I want to see loads of high quality pics. AND TURN THE LIGHTS ON! *freaks out at pics*

i was thinking about waiting. but i couldn't resist the purchase.

it's nice having an inside man.

but anyway, for those that are also thinking about the 120gb...

i opted to get this 100GB 7200rpm, and swap the included 80gb into an external.

dunno if that drive will work, remember its a SATA drive in the macbook now, and thats a PATA drive

Edited by -Dave-

no problem

do u have a copy of XP that you could install so we can see its performance w/ bootcamp / windows games?

I think white looks better than the black. I might considering buying one too! 2GHz white with 1GB RAM would be my configuration if I ever do get one.

dL

damn wish i had money for one of these things not to fond of the black though i prefer white it's what i represent apple mac with :p

lol. i'm still installing xp.

i've been distracted with some other things. but yeah, definitely later tonight, i'm going to clear up my desk and try and take some good photos.

as for the keyboard, it's not the stantard PBG4 feel. in fact they feel a little bit looser. kind of 'hollow' (if that makes any sense)

that may be because they're all spread apart. i think it's just a matter of getting use to the feel. although i wouldn't say it makes a big difference to me.

the touchpad shows some evidence of either moisture or finger oils. i'm pretty sure it can be cleaned up. overall it's effect seems simliar to that of the PowerBook.

one thing that might not be very evident on the Apple site, is that the white MacBook has a glossy finish on the outside. (just like the iBook) whereas my black MacBook has a duller almost gun metal black finish throughout. but to each his own. :)

Does the touchpad have one click or two clicks built into one piece?

dL

From what I have read elsewhere, the one button touchpad can be setup so you can do right-clicks. Kinda like the mighty mouse can sense when your doing a left/right click.

I wish laptop makers would make more black laptops... Personally I hate silver, gray, white laptops... I just like black ones, and the new macbook being black is nice, I just which they offered a color choice on all models! I also wish people like dell would also offer this...

lol. i'm still installing xp.

i've been distracted with some other things. but yeah, definitely later tonight, i'm going to clear up my desk and try and take some good photos.

as for the keyboard, it's not the stantard PBG4 feel. in fact they feel a little bit looser. kind of 'hollow' (if that makes any sense)

that may be because they're all spread apart. i think it's just a matter of getting use to the feel. although i wouldn't say it makes a big difference to me.

the touchpad shows some evidence of either moisture or finger oils. i'm pretty sure it can be cleaned up. overall it's effect seems simliar to that of the PowerBook.

one thing that might not be very evident on the Apple site, is that the white MacBook has a glossy finish on the outside. (just like the iBook) whereas my black MacBook has a duller almost gun metal black finish throughout. but to each his own. :)

The finish reminds me of the old Lombard PowerBooks.