[Review] Logitech Z-4

Logitech Z-4 (2.1 Speakers) Review

Logitech Z-4 Overview

I bought these speakers to replace my ageing Logitech Z-3s - and at only just over ?60, including VAT and next day shipping to the UK (by CityLink), surely they couldn't be that good.. could they?

Logitech Z-4 Specifications>

Total RMS Power: 40 WattsSatellies: 17 Watts RMS (2x 8.5w) into 3 ohms at 1kHz at 10% THD

Subwoofer: 23 Watts RMS into 4 ohms at 100 Hz at 10% THD>

Total Peak Power: 80 Watts at <10% THD

System THD: >0.05% THD

Signal to noise ratio: >92dB

Frequency response: 35 Hz - 20 kHz

Driver size: 2" satellite drivers, 2" pressure drivers (2), 8" pressure driver subwoofer: 4" ported driver

Speaker dimensions:Satellites: (H) 9" x (W) 3" x (D) 3"

Subwoofer: (H) 9" x (W) 9" x (D) 9.5">

The Box>

Here we have a couple of images of the box. Exciting, isn't it:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Unpacking The Speakers>

Ok, so I'd had enough of ogling the box, time to open it:

As soon as the flaps are opened, we can see the usual logitech booklet, the cable to connect them to the computer - and the remote:

3.JPG

4.JPG

After removing the top piece of polystyrine, we can now see the sub, the 2 satellites and the power cable:

5.JPG

Time to have a look at these babies:

6.JPG

I have to say, I think the remote looks teh sex!

7.JPG

The remote control contains the following controls:

-Power/Standy: Toggles between power on and standby mode

-System Volume: Adjusts the overall system volume

-Headphone Jack

-Subwoofer Volume: Adjusts the bass level of the subwoofer

-Auxilliary Input Jack: Connect line level audio devices (such as MP3 players, CD players etc)

The speakers aren't bad either:

8.JPG

9.JPG

Now for the sub:

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Other Stuff In The Box>

Here we have the logitech manual, declaration of conformity, audio and power cable:

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

Judging by where these speakers were manufactured, they should sound great!

Installing The Speakers>

As per usual, the handy logitech guide includes a quick setup illustration:

17.JPG

Don't think I'll need to read anything else!

Installation was a breeze - and took all of 5 minutes. I'll briefly explain below:

1. The 2 satellites were placed on either side of my workstation, and the subwoofer on the floor underneath it.

2. The colour-coded RCA plugs from the satellites were connected into the corresponding speaker jack on the rear of the subwoofer.

3. The remote control cable was connected to the subwoofer.

4. The green audio input cable was connected to the speaker output on my soundcard and the subwoofer.

5. Lastly, the subwoofer was connected into an AC power outlet.

How Do They Sound?>

Well, I'm no audio-buff whatsoever, but I can confidently say they are much better than the Z-3s, and I was impressed with the Z-3s when I got them a couple of years ago. However, I've been listening to a lot of classical (piano) music recently - and at high volumes, the distortion from the Z-3s was just ruining the music.

I've got the Z-4s on maximum volume, maximum bass (both of which seem higher than the Z-3s), and there is no distortion whatever, even at the top end of the spectrum.

For playing heavy bass music, like garage or techno, the bass produced from the subwoofer is warm and wholesome on the middle setting. Cranking it up to the top setting makes it even better. I've played various types of music on them - and haven't yet noticed any distortion at all.

As for the satellites, the sound they produce is extremely crisp, clear and sharp - but it's not like there's too much treble.

If you (like me) don't fancy 5.1 speakers, whether it's because of the extra room required - or the extra cables they bring, you can't go wrong with the Z-4s.

They may not have as much power as the Z-2300s, but for around ?50-?60 ($100-$110), you just can't go wrongConclusion/b>

If you're looking for some new 2.1 speakers - and want usual Logitech quality, and either can't afford - or don't want the Z-2300s, then get these!

Pros:

(*)They look great

(*)Awesome sound quality from both satellites and subwoofer

(*)No distortion at high volumes

(*)Effortless setup

Cons:

(*)The black fronts on the satellites are prone to greasy finger prints - wearing gloves when adjusting them is recommended!

Nice review. I have a set of Logitech speakers and they are great. (I forget which ones they are tho)