5M PS3 will sell without games, whatever it is

However, Reeves maintained that shifting PS3s in the early days won't be a problem, such is the strength of the PlayStation brand: "We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."

Source

Arrogance? you decide. :whistle:

I found the "whatever it is" comment too funny, he must have been tried to refer to crap. :laugh:

Guys, about 2 million sales in Japan are guaranteed, no matter what. At this point, I think at least 3 million sales are guaranteed, even if Sony announces Playstation 3 hardware will be changed for a toaster.

I found the "whatever it is" comment too funny, he must have been tried to refer to crap. :laugh:

Sadly it is true. Many people would buy it even if there were no games for it, including me (maybe).

No, he means that that whatever product they make it will sell well. And in this case its the Playstation 3. You try to hard too shed bad light on anything Sony says. :rolleyes:

Overall I like certain Sony products and the company as well. I like thier new Bravia line of TVs, SCEA and their mp3 players. On the other hand I do have something to say about Sony.

What I don't understand about Sony is time and time again, different people throughout the company are completely oblivious to what people think about some of Sony's actions. Time and time again they prove that as a whole they are very arrogant. It actually baffles me that all these people think the same exact way, that they can come out and make such statements. Oh and believe I know you can say Microsoft may do this and Nintendo may do that, but really who are we kidding Sony is really punching itself in the face by making statements like these and in such a mannner. I mean the timing for statements from Sony are awful. First the price announcement, then two sku situation, then wondering whether online gaming will be free and now this. The good thing about Sony is, one can always have something to talk about, good or bad.

I just hope SCEA doesn't create unrealistic goals and fall to its knees. Or better yet, maybe it should and as a company it will realize its mistakes and start innovating like thier other TV or even Computer department.

Edited by firen

You try to hard too shed bad light on anything Sony says. :rolleyes:

You said exactly what I wanted to say in the 100 word paragraph, roll your eyes at yourself. :laugh:

You said exactly what I wanted to say in the 100 word paragraph, roll your eyes at yourself. :laugh:

:huh: Right, that might quite a bit of sense. What I was trying to say was that everytime i see a post of Sony or their gaming division slipping the first one to post is you, Orange, Magik or some other person with similar interests.

When you've sold over 100 million units of a product in 5 years, I think you have a right to be arrogant ;)

And its the same arrogance that could lead to their demise. (from the top)

Taking your consumers for granted is not a good thing in business.

And its the same arrogance that could lead to their demise. (from the top)

Taking your consumers for granted is not a good thing in business.

The thing is they can, because lots and lots and lots of people will still buy it even if it doesn't have games for launch. Arrogant or not, what they are saying is true.

The thing is they can, because lots and lots and lots of people will still buy it even if it doesn't have games for launch. Arrogant or not, what they are saying is true.

More so in Japan, than the US, however.

Sony are most probably correct with their statement, but I don't think it's very appropriate for them to say that. It's almost like saying "We're so confident in our brand that we could convince consumers into buying anything".

It's ok to think that if you do manage a successful brand and brag about it within your industry but you say that publically I think you're insulting consumers by doing that, even if you are telling the truth. Arrogance leads to complacency, and it's that which could lose them market share by underestimating their competitors, and consumers.

Overall I like certain Sony products and the company as well. I like thier new Bravia line of TVs, SCEA and their mp3 players. On the other hand I do have something to say about Sony.

Look a little deeper into what the Bravias really are. Are they made by Sony or just branded Sony? If they're just branded, then you're basically paying more for little silver badge that says Sony. Is that a smart buying decision? SCEA, well, that's covered in various other posts. MP3 players... hmmm.... the only one I can think of is the Bean, and that was horrible. Creative and (obviously) Apple are ahead in that market.

There are too many people (I have a couple close friends that fall in this category) that fall for a brand name without researching the facts.

Look a little deeper into what the Bravias really are. Are they made by Sony or just branded Sony? If they're just branded, then you're basically paying more for little silver badge that says Sony. Is that a smart buying decision? SCEA, well, that's covered in various other posts. MP3 players... hmmm.... the only one I can think of is the Bean, and that was horrible. Creative and (obviously) Apple are ahead in that market.

There are too many people (I have a couple close friends that fall in this category) that fall for a brand name without researching the facts.

Yep, the consumer market is fueled by brand names. Someone might pay $200 dollars for a louis vuitton purse while there is a $50 dollar one that is just as big and looks amazingly similar but more people will got for the more expensive one. Brand recognition again drives the consumer market.

Microsoft is and has done the same thing with Windows - people complain about Sony cutting things from its products, but just take a look at what Vista has become and what it was supposed to be.

Whenever you're in a monopoly situation, you always take advantage. But I do feel it's a dangerous path to go down by launching with no good games...Xbox 360 is a proper threat.

Yep, the consumer market is fueled by brand names. Someone might pay $200 dollars for a louis vuitton purse while there is a $50 dollar one that is just as big and looks amazingly similar but more people will got for the more expensive one. Brand recognition again drives the consumer market.

I agree with you, but think what would happen if someone bought a Louis Vuitton purse and there was a label inside that said "Made by Wal*Mart" and they had the exact same purse at Wal*Mart. I can see why women would still want to LV purse, but as a rational male I don't see the sense of paying for someone else putting their name when the original maker of the item sells it for less.

I agree with you, but think what would happen if someone bought a Louis Vuitton purse and there was a label inside that said "Made by Wal*Mart" and they had the exact same purse at Wal*Mart. I can see why women would still want to LV purse, but as a rational male I don't see the sense of paying for someone else putting their name when the original maker of the item sells it for less.

I completely agree with you however there is many people who don't and are blinded by brand names. Like you friends as you said. Brands are the drive in this market.

You mean like the research you did? Everything you said is what you think..you don't even make a clear argument.

You mean like the research you did? Everything you said is what you think..you don't even make a clear argument.

OK, I guess you need everything spelled out for you. Samsung kicked Sony's ass in TV sales after so many years that Sony dominated. Why, you ask? Well, Sony stuck to the admitedly great Trinitron tubes that took them to the top. What they didn't see was the growing trend for flatscreens, and before that, for rear projection big screens. For rear projection, after having their asses handed to them, they licensed Hitachi technology in their newer RPs (just look at newer Sonys that have the "Magic Focus" technology, which is Hitachi's). However, the bigger market was in flat panels, which Samsung surpassed Sony. Sony tried, but their effort was lackluster so since they couldn't beat them, they entered into a partnership with Samsung. Now, that it's clear, take a look at Samsung flat screen prices and compare them to Bravia prices. Purchasing a Bravia makes no sense.

Now since Sony doesn't make a search engine (which is I suppose why you didn't try using one) may I suggest Google. It's your friend. But to show you I'm a sport, I'll list some highlights from just one article I found:

In recent years, Sony has fallen behind in portable music players such as Apple Computer Inc.'s IPod and in flat-panel TVs, dominated by Japanese rivals like Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and Sharp Corp., as well as by Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea.
(I know I didn't go into the MP3 market, but I thought that one was too obvious, and covered by the quote above)
Sony boosted TV sales last year, especially in the U.S., after it began making flat-panel TVs in a partnership with Samsung, a smart business move for the company but an admission it couldn't catch up alone in a critical technology called liquid crystal displays.

Source

We certainly hope that Sony has got its facts wrong as it wouldn't say much about gamers if that proved to be the case.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console...ythinking.shtml

sony want you ps/ps2 to blindly buy in to the PS3 "ps3" better graphics "fast" process, better games. and they will have no games to people would love you buy the PS3 sony will do it for the PS4 and PS5.

after E3 the graphics was great, i dont know about the procsser, and will have a lack of games at start and well MS is getting more games sony is getting less games.

well i wont be one of those 5 million and I thought I was going to be. I wont buy a ps3 until I see enough games worth playing on it, 2 of which would be FFXIII and FFVII -remake :D

well i wont be one of those 5 million and I thought I was going to be. I wont buy a ps3 until I see enough games worth playing on it, 2 of which would be FFXIII and FFVII -remake :D

A FFVII remake would be the only reason for me to consider purchasing a PS3 in the future. That was the last good FF game.