RSX gets a downgrade too

According to Sony & Nvidia, RSX was touted as "powerful as two 6800 Ultras in SLI" at last year's E3. It is now confirmed that RSX is indeed 8 ROPs.

For comparision sakes:

Nvidia 7800 | G70 | 16 ROPs

Nvidia 6800 | NV40 | 16 ROPs

Nvidia 7600 | G73 | 8 ROPs

Nvidia 6600 | NV43 | 4 ROPs

There is no information on any changes in clock speed yet.

LOL, when will we get the full truth about Sony's next system?

My guess is not until they are actually released and we can find out for ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS2, and I wish the PS3 would be great, but I've just seen far too many lies from Sony at this point to be excited at all.

Er, you must be kidding...where is this "confirmation"?!

The post you've linked to says the following:

Apparently we got confirmation that it features 8 ROPs. 'Documents' exist privately, and that's about all which has leaked so far.
That's speculation if anything.

I think you need to provide a better link to something more substantial.

Its confirmed by the Dave Baumann. You just have to accept it instead of going into denial.

Going into denial?? I don't even know what the **** 'ROPs' are - I just want a better link than the one you gave!

Click on the "8 ROPs" in the post you quoted.

Jerry is just a source himself. If he says something is going to happen with video cards (given his track record here on neowin for graphics card and GPU news) hes going to be correct. ;)

Jerry is just a source himself. If he says something is going to happen with video cards (given his track record here on neowin for graphics card and GPU news) hes going to be correct. ;)

Thanks but here I'm not the source.

So it's like a 7600GT (which is not bad in itself, performs on par with/above a 6800U)? Still not as fast as 2 6800U's in SLI, although we don't have the rest of the specs. Pipelines could still be at 24.

So it's like a 7600GT (which is not bad in itself, performs on par with/above a 6800U)? Still not as fast as 2 6800U's in SLI, although we don't have the rest of the specs. Pipelines could still be at 24.

There is no a clear-cut answer, as we dont have more information on the RSX. According to Nvidia RSX is based on G70, just like the G73 (7600) but the transistor count they have given out (does not match/is wrong).

Other than that, RSX has the same number of ROPs, similar clocks (assuming RSX@550MHz hasnt changed), similar memory bandwidth to the 7600GT & unknown number of pipelines.

7600GT

8 ROPs

560MHz Core Clock

22.6GB/s Memory Bandwidth

RSX

8 ROPs

550MHz Core Clock

25.6GB/s Memory Bandwidth

And the source on confirmation for Sony's online service being free was so much better :laugh:

Jeez the hypocrties on these forums :no:

I thought it was G71 based (90nm, 7900).

Its actually based on NV47, which is the same as G70.

7900 (G71), 7600 (G73), 7300 (G72) are all based on G70/NV47.

if 7600 do graphics like that hell id taxi and pick up couple those right now

It will be interesting if this is confirmed in the final specs. It seems that the guys at B3D are saying it still has 24 pixel shaders, so it's still better than a 7600gt. This would also explain why it seemed like all the PS3 games at E3 were completely lacking AA (not enough fillrate). Although, I think it's better that people wait until its official before going off of some random internal documents that someone found. Also, at the B3D thread in that link they said that the PS3 could use the full memory bandwidth of both pools of memory. So theoretically bandwidth is higher than 25.6 GB/s in situations where it needs higher bandwidth.

I don't think this is such a huge shock.. The Xenos (360 ATI Video Card) is comparable to a 7600GT (I've read a couple of developers mentioning this). However as some developers have said, the 360 has the advantage GPU wise because of the integrated 16mb of memory used for "Free AA". That's why all 360 games require AA, because there's no real performance drop.. On the otherhand for the PS3 there will be a performance drop using AA, however the PS3 does have an edge CPU wise.

Its actually based on NV47, which is the same as G70.

7900 (G71), 7600 (G73), 7300 (G72) are all based on G70/NV47.

Well everything is based on something else before it, but I'm talking about it's closest PC counterpart available today, which seems to be a G71/G73 hybrid.

That's why all 360 games require AA, because there's no real performance drop.

Yeah but a lot only use 2x AA, which isn't that good. Maybe some developers are using it for other things as well.

And the source on confirmation for Sony's online service being free was so much better :laugh:

Jeez the hypocrties on these forums :no:

?

At the Sony conference he said the online service was free, didn't he?

They might be trying to bring the price down considering its expense. If this is the case then I must say, "Go for it Sony!" After all, cutting part costs in exchange for free online gameplay? Not a bad tradeoff, IMHO.