Q&A: Naughty Dog's PS3 Project

Q&A: Naughty Dog's PS3 Project

The famed developer brings us jungle action, hidden treasure, and the legacy of Jak and Daxter... any questions?

by Jeremy Dunham readmyblog.gif

May 26, 2006 - Among the several premiere games unveiled at Sony's 2006 E3 press conference was a brand new untitled project from the guys at Naughty Dog. Void of an official title and one of the best looking games at the presentation, the unnamed project had show-goers and viewers at home wondering if the jungle-themed trailer was built using target renders or if it was actual in-game action.

To find out, we hooked up with Naughty Dog's own game designer Evan Wells. With previous credits that include work on titles like Crash Team Racing, Crash: Warped, Enter the Gecko, and ToeJam and Earl, Evan has experience in the realm of fun. We shot over some quick questions about his team's new mystery project and this is what he had to say:

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526042755117-000.jpg

IGN: To begin, let us just say that your trailer looks pretty awesome and we were immediately interested the moment we saw it. We weren't the only ones either; did you expect it to go over as big as it did?

Evan Wells: We've been working hard on this game for quite some time so it is good to hear that the debut of our trailer was met with enthusiasm.

IGN: Definitely. Of course, we think that the most important question that a lot of people have right now is "how much of that footage was CG and how much was real-time?"

Wells: The entire trailer was rendered in real-time using our PS3 game engine. All of the models, textures, shaders and effects are in-game.

IGN: Important question number two: what the heck is this game called? "Untitled Naughty Dog PS3 game" can't be final. But if it is, that's awesome!

Wells: We are working on the title of the game. You'd be surprised at what a complicated process that can be.

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526042802867-000.jpg

IGN: How long has the game been in development?

Wells: We have been ramping up development for over a year and a half. At first it was just a few programmers working on technology but slowly over time designers and artists were added to the team as the game moved from pre-production into full production.

IGN: When we first saw the trailer and screenshots we immediately thought the main character looked like Jason Rubin. Is that just our imagination or are you just paying homage?

Wells: It's interesting that we've received so many questions about who our hero looks like. I've literally been told that he looks like over half a dozen different people. We weren't trying to model him after anybody specific and the concept artist who drew the original sketches hasn't even met Jason Rubin. So, as they say in the movies? "Any similarities to persons living or dead are purely coincidental."

Full Q&A[/b]b>

Trailer[/b]b> - this is in real-time, on the PS:woot:t:

Btw, what does "IP" stand for (bottom of page 2)?

Well Naughty Dog only developed crash for PS1. Then it was Jak & Daxter for PS2, and so this is likely to be their new franchise for PS3 (as the Q&A states on page 2)

The guy reminds me of Alan Wake, btw what progress is that game on?

A year and a half its been in devlopment. I think thats what he said n the Q&A :)

Intellectual Property, ie the franchises, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Jak and Daxter, all IP.

I always thought it stood for Internet Protocol!

"We might sell out the Halo IP" I was like...erm, okay...

Yeah I does stand for internet protocol in techie terms, but in business/economics it stands for something else (which I've now discovered, thanks to Sheppard, is 'Intellectual Property').

Sometimes it annoys me how sites continue to use obscure abbreviations without explaining what they stand for.

The game looks absolutely awesome :D im starting to get hyped about ps3 now, FFXIII, MGS4 cant wait really lol, now i just gotta find and save up some money :laugh:

life's hard being a student

and yay for finding the other meaning for IP, i was wondering too lol