Why Linux is SO hard...

First, i'm a Windows User since 2003 (When I got my first Computer) I have evolved a lot in Windows, I can do almost anything that I want.

Now I wanted to get more chalenges and I installed Linux.

It's not the first time, I have played some time with Ubuntu in 2005, so I dl the lastest Ubuntu (6.06 Beta2) for AMD64 compatible.

Ok I know it's a Beta... but I have heard that it was way more powerfull than the 5.10 and even more stable...

But DAMN... why it's so complicated to have a "working" OS...

First I can't read my MP3s... Looking up at the sound card... testing some sounds from another stuff...

Works.. ok, open FF, look on google, oh damn... Ubuntu don't support the "unfree" files... Great...

Now, the resolution can't go over 1024, sure no drivers installed... I go on nVIDIA, dl the drivers...

Try to run it... "You are not in Root" huh... write "sudo" before... then another wierd error...

I ask help on a friend... he tels me to get the drivers from synaptic... then he gave me a command line to open the Xorg config and tell me to configure it...... Great... he tell me later that I need to replace "nv" by "nvidia"

then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

I return to resolution settings... noting more... I can't go higher...

The same guy said that I need to re-open the Xorg config and add 1600 into it...

Why on hell it's so complicated damnit... in Windows it takes 6 CLICKS to change resolutions Period.

Now someone, tell me WHY I should quit Windows and it's Virus to get Linux and all that complicated stuff...

Anyone that I see there are more happy with Linux... how you do?

I think linux is "hard" because its not designed to be easy. I mean lets face it, the majority of "inexperianced" computer users start off with windows xp which makes it "difficult" to port to linux. Maybe if someone started thier career on linux it would be "easy" for them. Don't really know.

I find linux tricky, just to get basic stuff working. But my mate who has run linux for years now can get most things working instantly...just down to time and practice.

As the phrase goes, "practive makes perfect".

It's not really hard...just different.

You could try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and make sure you check off the resolutions you want when it asks. Keep everything else at the default setting.

It's not really hard...just different.

You could try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and make sure you check off the resolutions you want when it asks. Keep everything else at the default setting.

But that is a lot harder than right clicking on the desktop to change resolution.

Linux is a far more complex operating system than Windows and is targeted toward the more advanced users. I myself havn't used Linux for very long (Mandriva 2006 distro . . . but switching to SuSE 10.1 soon) and I practically lived off of Windows since Windows 95 and I find it a challenge. It takes a lot of practice to get used to the linux environment, perform simple tasks, etc.

But that is a lot harder than right clicking on the desktop to change resolution.

That was to set up the new driver.

I can change resolutions + or - with a CTRL+ALT key combination, or using other GUI tools, if I so choose.

See: http://markjensen.googlepages.com/krandr.png

Linux is just "different". And to a user who has spent 5+ years learning Windows, thinking in a non-Windows way can be difficult - for example the original poster should not have browsed to nVidia's site to download then run an executable. An "apt-get install" would have done the whole search, download, install for him. :yes:

I don't think it's really that much harder at this point. Sure it's different than what you're used to but even Windows the first time you used it wasn't easy. You probably didn't even know what resolution was at first.

Is there a learning curve to have a nice Linux install, sure. But it's no more complicated than any other system.

Windows user since, well 1996 lol..

first linux experience:

2001 redhat..

yes, i have manually changed the resoltion in the Xorg file, and i had mp3's working with ubuntu 5. somthin, anyway..

I agree, windows is far easier and i wish that linux was far more friendly and simple as a 1 click solution but with the same powerful features that it offers now. I think linux would gain major popularity if it changed a few aspects of its operating system, if they could make it more like OSX they would be GOLDEN..

BUT.. and i say but..

Linux has gone a LONG way since say, 5 years ago. the desktop envirnment is getting easier and things like package managers are making it easier for novice users to install packages.

The day i dont have to know how to recompile my kernel or spend countless hours on GFX drivers is the day i will give linux another chance.

I my self just a few weeks ago tried to put linux on my hp laptop but no good the ati 200m was giving me problems and I could not find a work around. I might try later today I am still verry interested in Linux 64 bit.

That was to set up the new driver.

I can change resolutions + or - with a CTRL+ALT key combination, or using other GUI tools, if I so choose.

See: http://markjensen.googlepages.com/krandr.png

Linux is just "different". And to a user who has spent 5+ years learning Windows, thinking in a non-Windows way can be difficult - for example the original poster should not have browsed to nVidia's site to download then run an executable. An "apt-get install" would have done the whole search, download, install for him. :yes:

Don't take what I say the wrong way, I have just installed SuSE 10.1 and am trying to learn. It just seems to me that (as I have said before), Linux will not become "widespread" until it is easier for the general user. I am willing to try and learn, but the general user doesn't want to learn that, they just want to use it.

Don't take what I say the wrong way, I have just installed SuSE 10.1 and am trying to learn. It just seems to me that (as I have said before), Linux will not become "widespread" until it is easier for the general user. I am willing to try and learn, but the general user doesn't want to learn that, they just want to use it.
I was just correcting the opinion that it was not easy to change resolutions in Linux, is all. ;)

I agree, windows is far easier and i wish that linux was far more friendly and simple as a 1 click solution but with the same powerful features that it offers now. I think linux would gain major popularity if it changed a few aspects of its operating system, if they could make it more like OSX they would be GOLDEN..

A one-click solution to what? Changing resolutions? Already easier, like I showed. Installing apps? Nothing is easier (or better than Synaptic)! To what are you looking for a 1-click solution?

I've got to admit that I did have a bit of a hard time setting up Twinview and my multiple monitor setup. This is one area that Windows is way ahead in. But once you get it up and running nothing beats KDE or Gnome desktops on multimonitor.

Like I said it may seem a bit harder to do some things in Linux, but the payoff is great.

Keep in mind that Linux is free and gets more frequently update.

Why do you think Vista was delayed for 5 years, its so they can make it easier for you.

[Thread Edited]

I think that the blanket statement "Linux is harder" is just too much of a generalization. There are literally 100+ distos out there and they range from the simplest (Linspire, Xandros) to the most diffcult "do it from scratch" (LFS, Gentoo). Linux requires some initial learning, but so does Windows. And, just like Windows, it is important to understand what parts of your computer hardware are "Linux compatible". If you build or use a computer with components that either have no Linux drivers, or are not Linux-friendly (like those old winmodems) of course your install will mess up.....

It is sort of like riding a car and a motorcycle. If you try to ride the motorcycle, you can't expect it to be like a car... or vice versa. Each requires a certain amount of time to learn and master. The real question is, are new Linux users willing to learn this system, or do they just want the feel of Windows? If they want the feel of Windows, then use Windows......

Linux Is Not Windows

Barney

You would probably have a better experience with SuSE 10.x than ubuntu. Ubuntu/Kubuntu are good, and I use them, but if you use them you are likely to have to enter some commands and do a bit of research to get some hardware working, but SuSE seems to not have the problem of hardware not working right off the bat. I know I had to do some work getting things straight. Simply put: you should try SuSE, or Mandriva.

Hum okay... so, if it worth the payoff...
It is worth it for some. Not for others. Depends a good deal on your hardware and your desire to learn a new OS.

It is the initial configuration that is the most work, quite often.

linux is the kernal, i beleive your resolution beef is with the x window setup, and once you have your xorg.conf setup you don't need to change that .. ever (untill you have a completely different hardware setup), just keep a copy of it and paste it back when you need to. its really not difficult ... especially in ubuntu with the size of their community you really cant go wrong, ive only been using it for like a year at the most and i feel co0mpletely comfortable with a new install getting everything setup just like i do after windows installs and i can play mps, watch xvid encoded movies, watch commercial dvds and enjoy flash, java and quicktime in my browser, i feel your post shows you just dont want to learn something new, because it is something new, not a replacement

Hum okay... so, if it worth the payoff...

Still... it will be pain in the ass to get my desktop looking as in Windows...

this is my curent Windows desktop:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/33384836/

Even if Linux is more customisable... try to do that >.<

I suggest you have a look at the *nix desktop screenshots thread ;) If anything, I know people who are wanting to switch to Linux from Windows *because* of the eye candy they can have with Linux.

Hum... so trying to get Linux like Windows is point less as what I see here...

I think that the point is:

Windows is all done for the user

Linux is a kit of DIY

Right?

To me Linux is, and always will be a server/operation operating system, designed to sit there, do what it's meant to do and do it efficiently and correctly so I never have to look at it or use it once it's going.

It's a labyrinth of disorganization, and it's always been that way. The fact it's customizable and has lots of different ways to do things may appeal to some, but not me - I don't need 743 different ways to change the screen resolution, and I just need one(no one need point out I'm exaggerating as well).

Keep in mind that Linux is free and gets more frequently update.

Why do you think Vista was delayed for 5 years, its so they can make it easier for you.

Since when was Vista due for release in 2001?

Edited by virtorio

Linux is a kit of DIY

Right?

I disagree. Distros like Ubuntu treat you like a spoiled child. I installed Ubuntu the other day and after enabling the universe and multiverse repositories (which takes all of 5 clicks to do), I'm presented with 18000 packages. Yes, that's 18 THOUSAND packages that I can install in a couple of clicks (or in one command using the command line). No opening the browser, searching for the exe, downloading, installing. Just open synaptic, enter your password (a good security feature), pick what you want to intall and click install. Plus, all of these packages can be updated in the same tool. No opening each program and going through the update tool (if there is one). If anything, Windows is the DIY OS.

Linux is a kit of DIY

Right?

Yes it's pointless because Linux is not Windows. Why can't people understand this simple fact. Say it out loud "LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS" Linux is not Windows and it never will be. To me Linux is way more than Windows can ever be. Maybe you prefer Windows and that's just great. No one is forcing you to replace your favorite OS. To each his own.

Just open synaptic, enter your password (a good security feature), pick what you want to intall and click install.
Then, tell me where all programs are when installed...

Since that only 1 on 2 installed programs/games apear in the program menu..