Improve X11 Font Rendering

As posted here, the font rendering on my laptop has always been fairly crappy. I think it has a lot to do with my hardware more so than linux, but that is really not the point. the point is, fonts just don't look great on my Inspiron 2600 (it's a fairly old laptop).

Then I came across this thread in the Ubuntu forums and figured I'd give it a whirl. I gotta say it is the best tweak I have ever done on my system. Give it a try if you are not quite happy with your fonts look.

I wonder what patents they are talking about, as the only patents i have heard of are Apple patents over the bytecode interpreter and hints.

but, i have to try that on my system, Lucida Grande (and other fonts) render like crap (lines are too think and characters like c are pulled down below he baseline)

I've tried it on dapper, works quite well. The patents "could" infringe on apples patents... that's why you'll never find those particular deb files in any ubuntu repository ;)

I've tried it on dapper, works quite well. The patents "could" infringe on apples patents... that's why you'll never find those particular deb files in any ubuntu repository ;)

The function covered by Apple's patent is not in Freetype by default, it's only distributed as a Patch.

Man, why does this have to be so hard, cant it have this done by default?

Another quick fix for VERY good fonts in ubuntu/debian is as root user in a terminal type

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

and select autohinting and leave the rest as their defaults and reboot. It makes Lucida Grande look very good and saves having to patch the files.

Personally I'm not going to install the files again, just use the above fix from now on, I really didn't notice that much of a difference, but I thought it was worth a go. The only problem I had with the patches was the "local.conf", my "bold" fonts went askew so I removed it and everything went back to how it should have been.

The function covered by Apple's patent is not in Freetype by default, it's only distributed as a Patch.

Man, why does this have to be so hard, cant it have this done by default?

Actually, Freetype does contain the bytecode interpreter in its source, but it's disabled by default. The 'patch' is bacically one line which enables it to be built.

And regarding patents, yes apple has patents (3 of them) and they've contacted FreeType, but no legal action has ever been taken. I presume it's because Apple is benefiting from it somehow (more licence revenue maybe).

Actually, Freetype does contain the bytecode interpreter in its source, but it's disabled by default. The 'patch' is bacically one line which enables it to be built.

And regarding patents, yes apple has patents (3 of them) and they've contacted FreeType, but no legal action has ever been taken. I presume it's because Apple is benefiting from it somehow (more licence revenue maybe).

Well, that's what i mean, in the source, not "in" the binary (or not allowed to be enabled).

And yeah, Apple is fine with Freetype (and has even gotten new licensees from it), but due to the way it's licensed with the GPL and such, even if Freetype got a license from Apple, end users still need to get their own license (same with Microsoft's OpenXML as well, even if OpenOffice got a license, end-users would need to get one)

• 2 weeks later...

yea, i saw this on ubuntuforums.org too. Excellent tweak! :)

I just wish i could get a patched Calibri font(vista font).

I'm using Calibri on XP, OSX on my iBook, and it would be cool if i could use it on Ubuntu too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I've been using dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig with autohinter. Fonts look great, and no need for custom packages. The other fonts do look good, but autohinted fonts aren't bad either.

Here's autohinting fonts..

fonts.png

Of course Suse has the nicest looking fonts by default... Check out the shots at http://shots.osdir.com

• 4 weeks later...