Japan thinks PS3 is "too expensive"?

Regardless of whether or not the PS3 cost $100 or $3000 my buddy would buy it for MGS and FF (as well as a few other games - but those 2 games would decide his purchase regardless of the price). Myself, I'm only a fan of those franchises and might consider a purchase for under $200. But no way would I pay $500 for 2 games.

So there are 2 sides to the coin. There are people in the "cost is meaningless" category, there are people in the "bang for buck" category, and people in the "can't afford" category. You'd be surprised at how many gamers fall in the "cost is meaningless" category. I'm sure if they sold the PS3 for $3,000 the exact same people minus a few (mainly cuz they graduated into the "can't afford category") who buy the console at launch day would still buy the console on launch day.

In my opinion, Sony should have just used a regular DVD player in the cheaper PS3 and included BD support in the more expensive one. Doing that, Sony would be in a win-win situation for the fact that HD gamers would get the higher end model while everyone else on a budget would get the cheaper one and possibly buy a seperate BD player for their PS3 when the time comes.

And in japan they claim that the reason the did not buy the xbox was because it was too big....

The reason why Xbox sold like **** in Japan was not because of the size, but because of all the western games.

They wouldn't be a win win situation because they believe devs will need the capacity before the end of this generation of games.

Furthermore, Blu-ray has the superior copy protection Sony wants.

Further still, they're trying to push a format they developed and invested in - the chances of Blu-ray succeeding are high because of the install base created by PS3 alone. The more movie studios that support Blu-ray, the more money for Sony through loyalties, licensing etc.

I strongly disagree with having one SKU without such a significant feature. If they're going to leave out Blu-ray on one, they should leave it out on both (or not have 2 SKUs), and just have Blu-ray as an addon like with the Xbox 360.

Initially it will sell-out in the stores....but after the dust settles.....it will be a tough sell....

Which is why a price drop will be announced once the "dust settles". Come on guys its common business, Sony saw $1000 Xbox360 flying off ebay and they said why can't we charge much to the early adapters ?

And once the holiday season is over and initial shipment is dried out. They drop the price.

Which is why a price drop will be announced once the "dust settles". Come on guys its common business, Sony saw $1000 Xbox360 flying off ebay and they said why can't we charge much to the early adapters ?

And once the holiday season is over and initial shipment is dried out. They drop the price.

The thing is that was private individuals selling it at that price. For a company to do something similar would seriously **** people off. Think about the next time Sony launches something. People would remember and not purchase it at first. I don't think it's something that makes business sense.

Well I doubt they're deliberately pricing it like that because the Xbox 360 sold for $1000 on eBay.

The thing is, it shows that people are willing to pay ludicrous amounts of money to get hold of the consoles at launch.

Well I doubt they're deliberately pricing it like that because the Xbox 360 sold for $1000 on eBay.

The thing is, it shows that people are willing to pay ludicrous amounts of money to get hold of the consoles at launch.

360 going for $1000 on ebay was because of accute shortage which is exactly what Sony is trying to do with the PS3 launch, deliberately or otherwise its upto you to decide.

People who pay those amounts are not the typical consumers and companies aiming at them are trying to destroy themselves for its a very small niche market.

People who pay those amounts are not the typical consumers and companies aiming at them are trying to destroy themselves for its a very small niche market.

They are not trying to destroy themselves, it might not be everyone's preferrable strategy but saying that is laughable. Regardless, if they launched at $300 or $800 the PS3 would be sold out just like the XBox360 for at least the first 6 months, sometime after that there probably will be a price drop to get it in the reach of more game consumers. It would be stupid of them to price it under what people are willing to pay when they are going to be sold out on initial shipments anyways.

360 going for $1000 on ebay was because of accute shortage which is exactly what Sony is trying to do with the PS3 launch, deliberately or otherwise its upto you to decide.

I don't see how that's relevant to what's being discussed. They're not aiming at the eBay market.

The technology in the PS3 does actually cost a lot, and so it's not surprise that they're going to have to translate some of that into a higher retail price.

why do i get this feeling too? although it would **** people off.....

:laugh: So you're not getting value for money with the PS3? Maybe you didn't hear about the $999 standalone Blu-ray players.

And before you claim that people only care about the gaming side, the Japanese are technophiles and will welcome Blu-ray support.

That's assuming people actually give a damn about a Blu-ray player in thier gaming console. The only people that seem to care about Blu-ray are Sony fanboys.

Why would I want to pay an extra $200-300 for a Blu-ray player in my gaming console. If Blu-ray fails (which it very well could), then you've payed that much for a totally useless player. Not to mention that even if it wins, that player will be totally obsolete in about a year anyway as they revise the tech. I would rather just wait a while, see who wins, and then buy a stand alone player in that format. I think MS is doing it right and selling it as a cheap add on. If Sony had done the same, they would have got a lot more sales. They're really shooting themselves in the foot with this and pretty much giving the next gen to Microsoft and Nintendo. All the poles confirm it. You have the really hardcore Sony fans that will get it, but that's about it. All the non fanboys and casual gamers will just wait a year until the price is like $300, or just not get it at all. Either way, Microsoft and Nintendo FTW.

Not to mention that even if it wins, that player will be totally obsolete in about a year anyway as they revise the tech.

What like DVD players have revised tech so the first ones are "totally obsolete"? I don't think so.

blah who cares, expenses are nothing when you get awsome quality in return :)

So I'm sure you have a Rolls Royce Phantom and a Ferrari Enzo in your garage.

So I'm sure you have a Rolls Royce Phantom and a Ferrari Enzo in your garage.

There's a difference between finding something expensive and not being able to afford it.

That's assuming people actually give a damn about a Blu-ray player in thier gaming console. The only people that seem to care about Blu-ray are Sony fanboys.

That's the biggest nonsense I've heard all day! Blu-Ray is of interest to non-gamers, as the PS3 will be the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market - even non-console gamers will be considering the PS3 for that feature alone (myself included). Whether that will be enough for the console to succeed is unknown but to say that only Sony fanboys seem interested is just an outright lie and designed to provoke a response.

Still, with supply tight it will be a long time before people can get hold of it... despite the high price I'd be surprised if they launch went any more smoothly than Microsoft's, as the demand is so high.

Still, with supply tight it will be a long time before people can get hold of it... despite the high price I'd be surprised if they launch went any more smoothly than Microsoft's, as the demand is so high.

Yeah it'll be interesting. I guess we'll be able to predict what's going you happen in N. America and Europe based on the Japan launch 6 days earlier.

Why would I want to pay an extra $200-300 for a Blu-ray player in my gaming console. If Blu-ray fails (which it very well could), then you've payed that much for a totally useless player. Not to mention that even if it wins, that player will be totally obsolete in about a year anyway as they revise the tech. I would rather just wait a while, see who wins, and then buy a stand alone player in that format. I think MS is doing it right and selling it as a cheap add on. If Sony had done the same, they would have got a lot more sales. They're really shooting themselves in the foot with this and pretty much giving the next gen to Microsoft and Nintendo. All the poles confirm it. You have the really hardcore Sony fans that will get it, but that's about it. All the non fanboys and casual gamers will just wait a year until the price is like $300, or just not get it at all. Either way, Microsoft and Nintendo FTW.

Don't we all wish ? :p

Anyways its not like the blu-ray player will be useless, I can still get extra content on my games that wouldn't have fit on a normal DVD9. Thats depending on the developer offcourse.

:blink: omg i dont believe it me and Bhav agree on something. look at gas prices people B**** about the price but they still need oil. consoles will not be sold to all that wants it on the 1st shipment(sorry for spelling).

:blink: omg i dont believe it me and Bhav agree on something. look at gas prices people B**** about the price but they still need oil. consoles will not be sold to all that wants it on the 1st shipment(sorry for spelling).

:laugh: :yes:

look at gas prices people B**** about the price but they still need oil. consoles will not be sold to all that wants it on the 1st shipment(sorry for spelling).

Don't compare game systems and oil. Oil is an inelastic good which means no matter how high the price rises, people will, for the most part, still buy it. It is like food. On the other hand, even if oil drops to $1 a gallon, you still arn't going to buy more than you need.

On the other hand, game systems are a high elastic good which means people are high affected by prices increases and decreases.