Official: Rossi remains at Yamaha for 2007.

Official: Rossi remains at Yamaha for 2007.

On the eve of his home Italian grand prix, Valentino Rossi and Yamaha have officially confirmed that the seven-times world champion will remain with Yamaha's Factory Team for the 2007 MotoGP World Championship.

After winning his third consecutive premier-class world title with Honda in 2003, Rossi sensationally left HRC to pursue a new challenge at 'underdogs' Yamaha - then shocked the motorsport world further by promptly winning the 2004 title on his first attempt with the YZR-M1.

The Italian defended his crown with relative ease last season - when Yamaha took a clean-sweep of the Riders', Team and Manufacturers' Championships in the year of it's 50th Anniversary - but the start of 2006 has proved much more difficult; Rossi having taken just one win from the first five rounds after suffering a combination of severe handling problems and plain bad luck.

That has left 'The Doctor' just eighth in the points standings - marking his worst ever start to a world championship season - but Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn believes that the tough start to 2006, plus new opposition from the likes of Dani Pedrosa and Casey Stoner, has provided the challenge Rossi was searching for - and was the main reason he recently turned down the chance of a Formula One drive.

More: Crash.net

Let's hope The Doctor with 12 races to go, wins the 2006 championship and then again in 2007. Thus creating the perfect scenario for Vali to go to Ducati and do the business there and then retire as truly the best motorcycle rider of all time. Being the world champ on 3 different bikes would be a record I suspect no-one will ever better.

If he doesn't win it in 2006 it will give him extra impitus to win in 2007 so even that could be a good thing. It's dificult for me as I am a Rossi fan but also a fan of both Pedrosa and Melandri.

I think it's just Bikes in general, all races and all disciplines are far more entertaining than anything on 4 wheels and that's from me, a tifosi for 30 years straight! The World Superbike/Supersport, British Superbike/Supersport have been fantastic this season. And 125, 250 and MotoGP have been the best seasons ever.

Oh and the TT is coming up - if the North West 200 is anything to go by it will be a doozy!

Yea just watched all the highlights online. Can't wait to watch the race later today, looks like the best sense jerez last year.

congrats to rossi for pulling it out today. heck of a race, and the seaon isn't over just yet.

If Rossi can keep his **** together then yeah, it is :yes: