Racism in Soccer

Thats me not me sticking a quid on Spain for the 4th consecutive world cup.

Ohh just players and coaching staff.

Spain would be out otherwise.

Just read above also.

Arsenal (the team I have followed for 30 years) do not tolerate racism.

Even if fans call Spurs fans what Spurs fans call themselves 'Yiddo' then they will be ejected and banned for life if caught.

Henry as my memory serves was a conversation piece with the Spanish coach calling Henry a 'you know what beginning with N', with Antonio Reyes.

its stupid, why why does there have to be racists, just like rapists and the rest of it :/ then again, would seem pointless and meaningless to an extent if the world was perfect :/

Soccer this, Soccer god damn that.

There is racism in every sport on this damned planet. If not for the world cup, they woulda been complaining about it in NFL or some other sport.

It happens, its part of life, if people arn't used to racism, then maybe they should stick inside. Nothing will EVER stop it.

i have to agree tahtthere is racism in every sport on this planet. but also i will have to say that there is more racism in soccer....

lets face it, humans dont like each other. one thing that will solve 50% of all the world's problems is getting rid of racism. i only pray for it, and act non-racistly.

I agree its truly unbelievable that this sort of practice can go on. Racism is despicable full stop.

One point though, Paolo Di Canio was giving the Fascist Salute because he is Italian > he believes in the Duce's fascism. Hitler took his salute from Mussolini in the mid to late 20's.

Italian Fascists and German Nazi's are actually very different, and although some of their values are/were not democracy sound (hint: its fascism) they are/were not the Nazi's, and Di Canio shouldn't be treated like one, however if he is stupid enough to flaunt his far right opinions on the international football stage then maybe people should criticize him

That's so mean!!

If they are racist, they should keep it to themselves!!

its not realy mean its F up, racist people dont know its wrong their blind.

like 4 years ago i saw a thing on abc about that **it they were make monkey sounds.i was thinking thats europe for you, i dont mean anything.

lets face it, humans dont like each other. one thing that will solve 50% of all the world's problems is getting rid of racism. i only pray for it, and act non-racistly.

i dont think racism is the only thing and most poeple in the world dont care about it other hate. but hate for people any reason besides their a holes or other reasons like that is crazy.

its not realy mean its F up, racist people dont know its wrong their blind.

like 4 years ago i saw a thing on abc about that **it they were make monkey sounds.i was thinking thats europe for you, i dont mean anything.

In Italy and spain they have been known to thro bananas onto the pitch at black players.

1 player from africa picked up the ball during a game and refused to play after the "monkey sounds", alot of times these idiots making the sounds are chating at their OWN teams players. :no:

They are A-holes as far as im concerned. Just dog ignorant.

I thought that the police of Germany said they would arrest anyone who did anything Nazi-related?

They did so after the Poland - Germany game.

every school in the world needs to address this issue. i know that many schools in the US do so, and it helps, but not all schools do it... and im talking about private schools as well.

If anything racist was said at a sports event in america, i can bet you that the person who said it would get their ass kicked, then have cops take them away. I know for a fact that if i heard someone say something anything close to racist at a game i would go crazy, i wouldnt be able to help myself for going at that person, and i wouldnt be the only person.

Soccer this, Soccer god damn that.

There is racism in every sport on this damned planet. If not for the world cup, they woulda been complaining about it in NFL or some other sport.

It happens, its part of life, if people arn't used to racism, then maybe they should stick inside. Nothing will EVER stop it.

No you are wrong, their is no racism in the NFL, maybe someone will say something when they are at home, but I am 100% sure you would never see that in an NFL, NBA, or MLB game.

If anything racist was said at a sports event in america, i can bet you that the person who said it would get their ass kicked, then have cops take them away. I know for a fact that if i heard someone say something anything close to racist at a game i would go crazy, i wouldnt be able to help myself for going at that person, and i wouldnt be the only person.

No you are wrong, their is no racism in the NFL, maybe someone will say something when they are at home, but I am 100% sure you would never see that in an NFL, NBA, or MLB game.

Your exactly right...maybe some redneck at home yells racist crap at the TV. But you will never never never hear something racist in a stadium. If someone does say it then basically they get their asses kicked by other fans and hauled of to jail by the cops.

I was talking about soccer scores to someone yesterday, and while doing so, I shortened the word "Japan" to "Jap" because I was typing on my PDA's on screen keyboard.

I was then informed that "Jap" is a racist slur, and I should use "Jp" to talk about Japan. I claimed that "Jap" does the job better, especially since it was the first time that had mentioned the team and that I meant nothing racist about it. I also mentioned that I intend to keep using the word "Jap" as an abbreviation of the word "Japan". I was labeled a racist and a slight argument broke out and it basically ended when I pretty much told him to go *** himself and I ignored him for the rest of the time because I thought he was being a high and mighty prick.

Do you think that getting down to minor details like that is taking this anti racism stuff too far? I am aware that Jap can be used in a racist context, but in this instance I meant nothing by it, I was simply saving myself 2 taps on my PDA's screen. I do refer to Japanese people as Jap's a fair bit of the time, but only to people I know and only in a situation where it's usage won't hurt somebodies feelings.

Football is an international sport, it's going to happen. It's not the sport, the fans or the players that cause major problems, its that clubs travel to all parts of the world to play. International events like the world cup are always going to attract certain mind sets.

i was thinking thats europe for you, i dont mean anything.

Don't you think thats quite a xenophobic view to take wether you 'mean' something or not?

Americans playing in American teams in an American league. Are we seeing the pattern yet?

Your exactly right...maybe some redneck at home yells racist crap at the TV. But you will never never never hear something racist in a stadium. If someone does say it then basically they get their asses kicked by other fans and hauled of to jail by the cops.

If it was a single guy standing in the crowd then we wouldnt get to the point where people are making documentaries about it.

I don't mean Arsenal, I know he plays for Arsenal, I've seen him play quite a few times when I went to England, but I'm talking about his current situation with his Olympic Team in Spain. I can't believe he takes that crap from the coach. And as I was saying, he's a great player, yet even his damn coach is being racist considering the fact he has Henry, one of the best strikers in the world and maybe the best on the team. Just seems ridiculous that a man who has been coaching soccer for a long time and has seen talent come and go can't let the color of his skin go. He doesn't even care how good he is, except for the fact it's making him money if they win in the WC.

Henry is French and I don't think France even have an Olympic football team. Most European countries don't bother and if they do it's mainly semi professional players.

I can't see why ESPN would run a 'soccer' special anyway, its like Match of the Day going to Nascar or something...

Football is an international sport, it's going to happen. It's not the sport, the fans or the players that cause major problems, its that clubs travel to all parts of the world to play. International events like the world cup are always going to attract certain mind sets.

Don't you think thats quite a xenophobic view to take wether you 'mean' something or not?

Americans playing in American teams in an American league. Are we seeing the pattern yet?

If it was a single guy standing in the crowd then we wouldnt get to the point where people are making documentaries about it.

Henry is French and I don't think France even have an Olympic football team. Most European countries don't bother and if they do it's mainly semi professional players.

I can't see why ESPN would run a 'soccer' special anyway, its like Match of the Day going to Nascar or something...

I'm pretty sure you didnt quite understand what we were saying.

What does that matter? Its not their nationality that causes racism, but the color of their skin. Soccer teams have fans throwing bananas at players and huge groups chanting racial slurs. The point was that something like that won't happen at an American sporting event.

That was my whole point...American sporting events won't ever have groups of people throwing bananas onto the field, chanting slurs, and holding up racist banners. People here wouldn't stand for it in such a public setting.

Ummm...because the World Cup was getting ready to start and they were discussing the "Beautiful Game" and the pros and cons of the sport.

That was my whole point...American sporting events won't ever have groups of people throwing bananas onto the field, chanting slurs, and holding up racist banners. People here wouldn't stand for it in such a public setting.

True.

But the feelings are stil there.

I've been following football massively in the UK (as in being a season ticket holder and a neutral at many other games) for the past 10 years and I can count the number of racist incidents I have seen on one hand and still have at least a finger spare to poke stupid hippies who go mental about racism in the eye. The incidents I have seen would only be classed as racist by the jumped up politcally correct upperclass dimwits who ban you from taking cameras to your kids sports days, because obviously everyone is a peadophile these days too.

And lets get it right, its football. Hearing the word soccer has the same effect on me as kryptonite has on superman.

Before you say it, body armoured egg throwing is not football. Firstly an egg isn't a ball, and football implies the use of the foot, not your hands!

As for the olympics, I'd assume euro teams don't enter football teams because the standard is too low compaired to what you can watch week in week out anywhere in europe. Having said that, apparently for the 2012 in London, the UK is entering a one off football team just for the laugh.

True.

But the feelings are stil there.

Maybe for some people? I see your point...people who are ractists will just do it behind closed doors. I don't really know alot of people who are racist though. Most people I know really just don't care. At least not enough to say anything about it.

And lets get it right, its football. Hearing the word soccer has the same effect on me as kryptonite has on superman.

Before you say it, body armoured egg throwing is not football. Firstly an egg isn't a ball, and football implies the use of the foot, not your hands!

As for the olympics, I'd assume euro teams don't enter football teams because the standard is too low compaired to what you can watch week in week out anywhere in europe. Having said that, apparently for the 2012 in London, the UK is entering a one off football team just for the laugh.

Nope...it's soccer here. Don't blame us...you guys made the word up :p

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

DreAming in DigITal, the point I'm making which you seem so eager to ignore is that you don't get these problems when football is played in it's usual setting. The problem mainly stems from a TINY minority of 'fans' who are out to cause trouble.

They do not represent the feeling of football fans, football teams or the countries they're from.

The point was that something like that won't happen at an American sporting event.

Whats to stop a group of neo-nazis visiting a sporting event and causing trouble? They're going to stay away from large, organized and policed games but there is nothing to stop them appearing at smaller games as is seen in eastern europe for example.

Ummm...because the World Cup was getting ready to start and they were discussing the "Beautiful Game" and the pros and cons of the sport.

Racism isnt football's fault.

DreAming in DigITal, the point I'm making which you seem so eager to ignore is that you don't get these problems when football is played in it's usual setting. The problem mainly stems from a TINY minority of 'fans' who are out to cause trouble.

They do not represent the feeling of football fans, football teams or the countries they're from.

I'm not eager to ignore anything. I'm not trying to bash soccer either. I love watching it. I think we can all agree that the majority of soccer fans aren't racist. I was under the assumption that it is a tiny minority. But these games aren't being played out of their usual setting. The clips come from leagues in eastern Europe, Spain, Portugal, etc...

And it must be somewhat out of hand when you have major soccer stars teaming up with Nike to make a commercial about equality...

Check out the page for more information....

Commercial...This is the one that has been aired in Europe.

Racism isnt football's fault.

Nobody said it was soccers fault...It was just part of the discussion on Sportscenter. I don't know if your familiar with ESPN or not but they do stories like this all the time about all sorts of sports. The point is to help make some changes (in terms of the fans)...not bash soccer.

**I found the ESPN clip that aired which lead to me posting this thread....check it out here

Edited by DreAming in DigITal