[UK] CD Player + Speakers

When i start driving i will be getting a CD player and some new speakers to replace the two i have at the front. I dont have a clue what i need, whats good etc

Basically this is what i want:

CD Player, eq options

2 front speakers (1 in each door) about 25w each (4x25 = 100w...i think that would be enough)

i need to install 2 at the back, where? i was thinking at the back, where the roof rack is

will i need anything to drive these two new speakers at the back? will i need an amp of some kind?

I dont want a sub...

Thanks!

Have a look at some car cd players on ebuyer.co.uk, plenty of features and cheap.

Most of my m8s have 2 6x9 speakers in the back on the parcel shelf.

You probally won't need an amp unless you wan't to put lots of speakers in.

Can't help you with the rest as i don't have a car yet.

with car audio you do get what you pay for, as it sounds your not wanting to enter any spl competitions, something cheap and cheerful like a ?100 Sony headunit would do you fine, single CD, get one with MP3 playing capabilities for the same price. Dont try to emphasize or focus to much on power ratings and many manufactuers quote rms ratings... but find out the diameter of the speakers in the front, and replace them with units that have a tweeter inbuilt (if you want to spend a little more buy components) basic ones like these:

5179873.jpg

should cost you no more than ?40. Rear speakers, go for 6x9 mounted in the parcel shelf as acnpt explains, estimate cost around ?50..... speaker will come with template to mark you parcel shelf with then simply cost the shape out, bolt on the 6x9 and cover with grill. If your car currently has no rear speakers you will have to lay cables down the car, under the plastics and attach the wire to the rear output wires on your ISO connector on the head unit - very simle to do as it tells you what wire is what in the user manual of your head unit.

No real need for a amp, unles you wanted a subwoofer which you dont so there you have it, sound system for around ?200.

If you want to get some places to just look at audio stuff i find http://www.caraudiodirect.com/ is pretty good for doing some looking

From the pics Darryl posted are they Alpines?

I havn't spent to much on audio for my car,

?90 for a blaupunkt cd/mp3

?90 5.25inch for the front

?30 little Alpines in my headrests

?100 amp

?50 on a sub

So for first install it's good enough, plus my insureance only covers about ?400 of audio so no point going over it

Im currently in the process of having my speakers changed after i blew the orginal speaker in the drivers door :blush:

I replaced the stock cd player with a jvc cd/mp3/wma player and then added some rear speakers in the parcel shelf.

Unforatnly the jvc cd player was a bit to powerfull for the stock speakers and it blew the one in the drivers door

the rears i put in myself but were to close to teh center of the shelf (stupidly shaped parcel shelf)

so ive since had a mate do a car audio install with an AMP + new speakers

i've only got the rears in atm as im waiting to get hold of the speaker adaptors to fit the fronts (can't remember what the model is for the front speakers)

but the diffence between these rear speakers (think they are vibe sek 69's 6x9 speakers) and the ?20 kenwoods i had fitted previsouly is definatly noticeable.

when i get the front speakers in it should sound much better still.

Some people have asked me why i bothered as i only have a ford KA but as i usally end up listening to music on headphones at home its nice to be able to play it on a decent speaker system.

If you want to get some places to just look at audio stuff i find http://www.caraudiodirect.com/ is pretty good for doing some looking

From the pics Darryl posted are they Alpines?

I havn't spent to much on audio for my car,

?90 for a blaupunkt cd/mp3

?90 5.25inch for the front

?30 little Alpines in my headrests

?100 amp

?50 on a sub

So for first install it's good enough, plus my insureance only covers about ?400 of audio so no point going over it

50 bucks for a sub isn't going to get you a nice one... you'd be better spending a little more on some nicer 6x9's than wasting it on a sub in that price range.

50 bucks for a sub isn't going to get you a nice one... you'd be better spending a little more on some nicer 6x9's than wasting it on a sub in that price range.

Well i drive a smart car so i basicly have no boot

Right behind the drivers seats is the back space and in thaat space is my little 8inch sub that is ported in a 0.60 cubic capacity box. It is enough bass for such a small car and i got my dad to design the box in 3d to get the correct measurements and correct cubic capacity.

My sub already shakes the panels off the doors and it provides a nice bass for all songs. Anything more then i won't be able to listen and enjoy my music.

That why i got some good front speakers fitting in little bass bins, they sound great as well and backs the small sub of quite nice.

Plus a few bits of the stuff came from a local audio dealer so the prices weren't too high.

My friend has a 12inch in his fiesta and it jsut drowns out his speakers and ruins the music.

Big is not always best

Also if i want for anything bigger then i'm looking at losing most of my boot space. But i have seen recent that somebody who runs the brand car mag who i sometime see at meetings have created a nice looking sub box. But if i was to use something similar i'd have to make it stick out more so i can use my tanoy cover to hide it when parked up You can see his sub in the attachment

post-28602-1149717180.jpg

@shibby I know what you mean about small boots my my car is only 1m or so longer than yours and thats with back seats so i rekon my boots probably a simluar size which is why i have no sub at all.

besides which i hate to much bass, i like enough for it not to sound tinny but not so much that it drowns everything else out or shakes everything. and i find the 6x9's give out enough bass to satisfy my needs.

What I'm trying to say is the quailty of the sub is going to suck if its 50 bucks... loud or not. What I'm saying is that it will probably break. If a sub cost 50 bucks... its not a reliable sub.

Well i've had it for over a year and have had it cranked up loud sometimes and it still works fines. So it hasn't broken so far :)

Currently there is no point spending huge amounts of a sub as

1. In the area i live and vist friends are the greatest and if people want something they will get it

2. My insureance will not cover much in terms of audio it's only ?400 and if your going for a good sub that costs then you need a good amp and it starts to cost.

anywho i never said what make it is so hwo do you know it's not even reliable?

But i understand where you coming from. My dad use to be a test enginer at Goodmans Loudspeakers who had contracts with Ford and Rover to do the car speakers but the quality were ok but well lets say the company has gone bust now.