[UK/Broadband] MAC fee when migrating

I have asked my ISP for a MAC so I can go to another provider and they have requested ?15 for the generation of the code. Anyone else had this? I thought it was quite cheeky. Surely I don't have to pay to leave them?!

I guess I could cancel then go join the ISP I want to.

Are we talking about a MAC adress? (Media Acces Control) or a Apple Mac? if you mean a MAC Adress your isp cant give you one! your mac adress is in your hardware and cannot be changed (normaly) what you can ask is a different IP adress from your ISP.. if it stills costs you money then i find that hard to believe

Are we talking about a MAC adress? (Media Acces Control) or a Apple Mac? if you mean a MAC Adress your isp cant give you one! your mac adress is in your hardware and cannot be changed (normaly) what you can ask is a different IP adress from your ISP.. if it stills costs you money then i find that hard to believe

you have a MAC address so you can switch isps easily ?.. so i believe. but i generally didnt think they charged.

Sorry I should have probably said. The MAC I mean is a Migration Authorisation Code. You give it to your new ISP and they migrate the ADSL on your phone line to their service.

I just wondered if they can really refuse to give it up if I don't pay them?

If you're within you're contract period, they can charge you.

Although most ISPs don't charge for the MAC key, I think they can if they want.

What ISP are you with?

I had a 12 month contract which expired last June (otherwise there would have been a charge of ?58.75).

I'm with NDO who are brilliant, but I want to move to someone who does a Broadband/landline package.

I don't think it actually costs them anything to get a MAC key...it's really suprising that they're asking for a fee.

You should ask them why they're charging a fee and other ISPs don't.

Checking on the OFCOM site, there's nothing to suggest that they CAN'T charge a fee if they wan't to, but equally there is nothing to say that they CAN either. All it really says is that they cannot refuse to give you one unless you are unable to confirm your identity to them.

I would say they are on very dodgy ground. Try and find out if they subscribe to OFCOM's Migration Code of Practice (it's optional, ISP's do not have to subscribe to it). If they do not, then they can do whatever the hell they like. If they do then I would suggest approaching OFCOM over it and see what they say.

Can I ask which ISP this is, that is trying to charge for a MAC code ?

I would never join an ISP that would charge to give me my MAC code.

I see you live in the UK, so what I would personally do, is to go down to the CAB and see what they say - Because the last thing I would do is pay for my MAC code.

But like what kinetix63 said, it is very dodgy ground.