Sony execs talk PS3, 360, and PC

Sony execs talk PS3, 360, and PC

Kutaragi says next-gen console is like a PC, Stringer jokes he has an "obsession" with Microsoft's next-gen console.

Last week, Sony Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison caused a semi-furor by insinuating the PlayStation 3 could replace the PC in the home. While his comments were mainly directed at the console's entertainment and multimedia capabilities, Sony has long said that the PS3 will have some PC-like functions.

That line was repeated again today by Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi. Speaking with Japanese site PC Impress Watch, the executive defended the PS3's high $499/$599 price points by saying it was not just another console. "Unlike previous PlayStations, it is clearly a computer," he said according to a GameSpot translation.

Kutaragi went on to talk about the need to be able to expand the PS3's technical functions, just like one would with a PC. "Because the PS3 is a computer, we need to do more than just lower the costs, but the console must be able to evolve," he said. He said one of the first tasks at hand would be to introduce a hard-disk drive with higher capacity that the currently scheduled 20GB and 60GB models.

Kutaragi even raised the prospect that, further down the road, Sony might release a PS3 peripheral that could burn Blu-ray discs, the company's high-capacity successor to DVD. "We might want to add a BD drive, a writable drive," he said before quickly reversing himself. "Well, maybe not BD."

Kutaragi also said that, other than the PS3's current read-only Blu-ray drive, the main reason for the console's high cost was the built-in HDD. "For a game console, to add a hard drive puts pressure on cost," he said. "Unlike a semiconductor chip, HDD cannot help lower the cost of the product. ... As a game console, the price has to, over time, be reduced to the 100 dollar range, but that is hard to do with an HDD. ... That [is why] PS3 pricing is not conforming to conventional pricing for a game console."

Meanwhile, Kutaragi's boss, Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer, had a few choice words to say about one of the PS3's rivals, the Xbox 360. Actually, it was more like one choice word. During an on-stage Q&A at last week's D: All Things Digital conference, which is organized by the Wall Street Journal, he was asked about the mixed critical reception of Sony Pictures' blockbuster film The Da Vinci Code. He misspoke when responding, saying "Xbox 3" instead of "X-Men 3," prompting laughter from the audience. The Welshman then joked, "There's an obsession!"

Stringer recovered quickly, talking up the PS3 in no uncertain terms. "It's got more bells and whistles than a 747," he boasted. "That Cell processor is extraordinarily powerful and you have nine hours of high definition on the Blu-ray disks alone. ... The reason it's expensive [is that] instead of concentrating on just the games player, which would have been done in the past, PlayStation 3 is designed to go somewhere else, where it's the center of the living room."

Source: GameSpot

normally I don't like to reply to my own posts and sometimes I rather stay way from certain topics but this is just the right time to recall a quote from Kutaragi san from May 2001...

"Microsoft was finished before it even got started," Kutaragi told the publication. "They have no games. Microsoft has put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed. Microsoft does not understand the entertainment business. The processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough."

I don't know you mr. Kutaragi but Microsoft seems to be doing far better than you expected to, and just for the record... WE DO understand the entertainment business and thats part of the success of the Xbox and Xbox Live.

:laugh: :rofl: :p

Wow, how many threads are we going to have with microsoft fanboys smashing Sony for something that was said 6 years ago? or just microsoft fanboys in general bashing sony?

When there's bias in the upper ranks, it's hard to beat 'fanboyism'. Just report every post you see that has even a remote sense of trolling/flamebait.

Wow, how many threads are we going to have with microsoft fanboys smashing Sony for something that was said 6 years ago? or just microsoft fanboys in general bashing sony?

Don't worry, it's because they suffer from small wangs. :pinch:

It only reassures Sony's impact.

I really don't know why is there a Microsoft Gaming forum, since all the Microsoft fanboys are around this one.

I really don't know why is there a Microsoft Gaming forum, since all the Microsoft fanboys are around this one.

in the words of John the wise... :laugh: :rofl: :p :whistle:

The Sony fanboys are too busy harrassing the Xbox forum and "defending" themselves in the Sony forum :whistle:

When there's bias in the upper ranks, it's hard to beat 'fanboyism'. Just report every post you see that has even a remote sense of trolling/flamebait.

Or just ignore it and don't waste the mods time..

i'm no xbox fan - in fact, i own the playstation and the ps2 - but i just can't help thinking back to when sony were claiming the same things about the ps2 at its launch. that it was a 'supercomputer'. which it clearly wasn't. in my view the ps3 might be touted as a pc also, but i just can't see it happening. and to be honest, if the online service sony is offering isn't up to the xbox live standard or better, the only thing it's going to have left going for it is the exclusives like GT (would have put GTA here but it's lost that now, so..)

Sony has long said that the PS3 will have some PC-like functions.

And a built-in grill :p ... No seriously, so the PS3 it's expensive because the HDD? Not enough excuse for me ...

The Sony fanboys are too busy harrassing the Xbox forum and "defending" themselves in the Sony forum

:rofl:

If all you can come up with is attacking the op, then are setting up yourself for the classical fallacy.

No, do not report every post you see. Most of the posts that are being reported by members are not trolling but someone's opinion that isn't in favor of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo. Report quality, not quantity.

Yeah but whether someone is giving their opinion or trolling is dependant on someone else's opinion.

Something I feel is trolling you may find an opinion. It's just a stupid system that doesn't work.

You, L3thal, may be a bit more lenient, which is good, but there are other mods (not naming anyone in particular), who take things so seriously (trust me I know). So I feel it's only right and proper to report everyone that should be warned under the same criteria I was.

And L3thal, you removed one of my posts where I commented on the proportion of space unavailable to Xbox 360 users on the HDD - how the hell is this trolling?! This is exactly what I mean when I say the system doesn't work. There's no consistency between mods, and we as members have no idea how far we can go.

Of course he's going to say that, just a quick look at some of his posts shows that his bias is with Microsoft, and of course you are going to support that since you are an employee of Microsoft. But really, it is very rarely that a Sony fanboi comes to the Microsoft section to post flamebait and troll. It does happen on occasion, but in contrast with the Sony section, it's nothing. Nearly every other day there's a new "PS3 is doomed!!1" type thread posted in this section, posted by a few people who would like to believe that it will happen. It's annoying to say the least. Now I do prefer 360 to PS3, but this blatant Sony hatred some people have is getting quite old. Come on, it's just a video games console, why do some of you care so much about what other people buy and don't buy? Aggressive advertising does not work on me.

And L3thal, you removed one of my posts where I commented on the proportion of space unavailable to Xbox 360 users on the HDD - how the hell is this trolling?! This is exactly what I mean when I say the system doesn't work. There's no consistency between mods, and we as members have no idea how far we can go.

Neowin requires that members respect the decision of moderators.

Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, and the appropriate action taken (up to and including forum bans) against the thread starter and/or participants. However, as a member you reserve the right to PM any moderator or administrator regarding action taken at Neowin.

Having said that, your post was deleted because it was quoted by 3 other members who of course accused you of trolling which took the thread way off-topic, hence the post deletions.

P.S. If you do not know how far you can go, then I suggest you steer clear of the gaming forum until you know how far is far. We are going to start cracking down on trolls because it is starting to get out of hand. Guess that's what we get for being lenient.

normally I don't like to reply to my own posts and sometimes I rather stay way from certain topics but this is just the right time to recall a quote from Kutaragi san from May 2001...

"Microsoft was finished before it even got started," Kutaragi told the publication. "They have no games. Microsoft has put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed. Microsoft does not understand the entertainment business. The processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough."

I don't know you mr. Kutaragi but Microsoft seems to be doing far better than you expected to, and just for the record... WE DO understand the entertainment business and thats part of the success of the Xbox and Xbox Live.

:laugh: :rofl: :p

Did you expect them to say something positive about MS. They are in competition with each other. To actually think they would is more laughable.

Did you expect them to say something positive about MS. They are in competition with each other. To actually think they would is more laughable.

It's called arrogance. Better to say nothing at all than to say something outright stupid.

what a useless thread this is... flaming flaming flaming... geez... u guys need something else to do... like how about going with the nintendo system's... at least there isn't much flamming going on there, unlike this thread.

what a useless thread this is... flaming flaming flaming... geez... u guys need something else to do... like how about going with the nintendo system's... at least there isn't much flamming going on there, unlike this thread.

How about you not waste your time and bandwidth coming here and just trolling? :whistle:

We are going to start cracking down on trolls because it is starting to get out of hand. Guess that's what we get for being lenient.

When there's bias in the upper ranks, there's no point "cracking down", because people will always get unfairly screwed over.

That is the point. You can't stop people having an opinion about a console. It should be accepted that people will support one console over another, for whatever reason, the same way some people prefer a certain brand car, or a certain brand phone.

The fact is is that some mods are clearly more inclined to take action when a Sony/PS3 fan says something mildly negative about the Xbox 360. That is bias - how can you run a fair forum when the moderators themselves are dishing out warnings based on their preference.

Whilst I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to say anything and everything they want (that would lead to havoc), I do feel that this bias and the inconsistencies between mods hinders discussion. Debates always get heated, just look at politics. But do you "warn" someone for slagging off the opposition? Of course not. It's perfectly normal to feel passionate about something you own, or hope to own. Why is this a problem?

A perfect analogy is an official in a sports game (I'll take football/soccer). If the referee owns shares in a particular team, is he qualified to be an official in a match involving that team? No he is not.

That is the point. You can't stop people having an opinion about a console. It should be accepted that people will support one console over another, for whatever reason, the same way some people prefer a certain brand car, or a certain brand phone.

The fact is is that some mods are clearly more inclined to take action when a Sony/PS3 fan says something mildly negative about the Xbox 360. That is bias - how can you run a fair forum when the moderators themselves are dishing out warnings based on their preference.

Whilst I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to say anything and everything they want (that would lead to havoc), I do feel that this bias and the inconsistencies between mods hinders discussion. Debates always get heated, just look at politics. But do you "warn" someone for slagging off the opposition? Of course not. It's perfectly normal to feel passionate about something you own, or hope to own. Why is this a problem?

A perfect analogy is an official in a sports game (I'll take football/soccer). If the referee owns shares in a particular team, is he qualified to be an official in a match involving that team? No he is not.

This is a Windows enthusiastic website.

:shifty: :p :laugh:

This is a Windows enthusiastic website.

:shifty: :p :laugh:

Yep, thats why we must allow every Microsoft fanboy to bash any product (and its company) that creates competition to Microsoft (Apple, Sony, Linux, etc.).