Does the PS2 do Hi-Def?

I'm planning to buy a PS2 for my son, which will be connected to my samsung 53" HDTV. I was under the assumption that the PS2 DID NOT do high-def... which is ok...but...

...in reading this forum, I've noticed a few references to the PS2 and HD.

Does the PS2 do HD? Is there and adapter or something?

Thanks!

I'm planning to buy a PS2 for my son, which will be connected to my samsung 53" HDTV. I was under the assumption that the PS2 DID NOT do high-def... which is ok...but...

...in reading this forum, I've noticed a few references to the PS2 and HD.

Does the PS2 do HD? Is there and adapter or something?

Thanks!

It's not Hi Def, but be sure to get component cable. I have tried the Composite, S-Video and Component cables on my dad's DLP and on my LCD TV, and the component cable makes a HUGE difference.

Word of advise for owning a PS2:

If the CD Drive buggers up, don't open it and leave it on the table if a 13 year old and his friend are going to be throwing water bombs at you right near it 20 minutes later. I didn't know that my PS2 was water resistant, Just be careful, yours might not be! XD

i too, think it can do 720p HD on games that support 720p. not entirely sure though. I know the XBOX is the same way. it cando HD up to 720p on some games.

i too, think it can do 720p HD on games that support 720p. not entirely sure though. I know the XBOX is the same way. it cando HD up to 720p on some games.

I've only seen Xbox do only 480p.

You could get GT4 in HD, although the console was not designed for it the designers were just that clever. I think there were some others too although they were not many.

@Ruiz the original Xbox did upto 1080i but very few games used it and it was not enabled for Europeans for some odd reason. Technically it did support that resolution but it was too powerhungry and few people had HDTVs so it was not used much.

Word of advise for owning a PS2:

If the CD Drive buggers up, don't open it and leave it on the table if a 13 year old and his friend are going to be throwing water bombs at you right near it 20 minutes later. I didn't know that my PS2 was water resistant, Just be careful, yours might not be! XD

yeah ps2's i must admit are solidly built and can take a fair bit of smacking around :shifty:

No PS2 games support 720p. The only HD resolution in a game was 1080i (and even then they kinda cheated, rendering at 1/3 the horizontal resolution), and that was one game. Several Xbox games did either 720p or 1080i though, but I don't think any supported both.

You could get GT4 in HD, although the console was not designed for it the designers were just that clever. I think there were some others too although they were not many.

Actually the console can handle outputting up to 1280x1024, which theoretically would actually be even a higher res 1080i than GT4 did, and it could theoretically do a perfect 720p. It's just that it eats so much bandwidth internally to do so that there'd be nothing left to actually produce halfway decent graphics.

WOW!!!!! Now THAT's the link I was looking for! List seems a bit out of date, but the forums rock with info! Thanks!

most ea sports games were 720p, im sure halo 2 was too

Halo and Halo 2 were both 480p. I can't vouch for any of the EA games, but I know Halo 2 was only 480p.

The only 720p Xbox game I can think of right now is Enter the Matrix, which was also 1080i. I know there's more, but I can't think of any...