[help] Cleaning up dual boot

Ok i started a new 20gb partition for windows vista, i got tired of it so i decided to install linux, and ubuntu didn't want to load for me i download Suse 10.1 and burned each image on to 5 cds, cd1 works fine, Then CD 2 gets an error half way through and gives me the option to retry abort or ignore, but of course the mouse won't move and the keyboard dosn't seem to do anything so i have to restart the computer using the power button, i try again now it has an error at the very begining of cd2 installation, back into windows and re-burn the cd2 of suse linux, on a different cd. still same error.

Now i want to clean that partition(erase everything from it) and get rid of the boot loaders that vista and suse have left installed. And I want to try install suse again.

why did suse give me this error, i garantee if i download the file again, and burn it again, it will still give me the same error.

this really annoys me

I see that you re-burned your CD, but if you downloaded it, did you verify (MD5 Checksum) it was good? You may need to re-download it from your source.

Barney

hmm no it dosn't i boot and grub comes up and if i choose windows then it goes into vista's bootload then i select "earlier version of windows" to get to xp and then i get my default boot loader thing..

And as a matter of fact i don't think iam going to bother with linux anymore, i tired it too many times and it just won't work. But i have a feeling if i delete that patition grub will still be there and won't load :/

ach what a mess :no:

Sorry that you feel like giving up on Linux. It is such an awesome OS. Vista is so new that it may be doing things that we are not used to...... :|

If you wish to play with it in the future, just stop back by. We will be happy to help you! :yes:

Barney

Yeah that or because Vista is still beta, it could be causing problems. Maybe Microsoft incorperated some sort of anti removal for their bootloader :ninja: haha. Like barney said, stop by again if you want and we'll help out.

For a first distro, give pclinuxos a try, download the iso with your graphics driver preinstalled. Best of all you have only one cd to download and still endup with just has powerfull linux desktop has SUSE or ubuntu. I also recommend a FAT partition for sharing data between linux and XP. You might also find it easier to do your partitioning from xp via computer managements disc management section. create a partition for linux, a 1gig partition for swap and another FAT partition for shared data. When you boot into the live pclinux cd click the install pclinux icon then select the expert partitioning button and reformat your partition you made for linux and give it a / for a mount point, and reformate the swap partition has simply swap. Review your choices then install away. :cool:

Start with something easy to install that is also rock stable and good with hardware, pclinuxos fits that bill to a tee.

PcLinux OS

Note the isos are for live cds that are also installable, there is a large cach of apps for installation from pclinux via apt-get or synaptic, and upgrading to the latest software is also easy.

Edited by betamaxman

Sorry that you feel like giving up on Linux. It is such an awesome OS. Vista is so new that it may be doing things that we are not used to...... :|

If you wish to play with it in the future, just stop back by. We will be happy to help you! :yes:

Barney

New or not Vista does no more or less than xp has far has partitions or booting are concerned. :D

well i downloaded the cd2 file again and burnt the image. cd1 installed fine as usuall, then rebooted and went to cd2 installation started, i notice i could actally move the mouse pointer around this time, which i thought was a good sign.

But about half way through cd2 install, its just seems to stop... the disc stops spinning, and the loading light stops. i gave it about 5 mins, and had to restart using the power button. And i tried to install cd2 again.

This time i couldn't move the mouse pointer during install!!! (what the hell!! how can that be even possible) Anyway i let it install but the same thing happened again it just seems to freeze after getting 100% on the SANE package.

I have only had problems with cd2, cd1 works fine everytime and at this point, it is beyond annoying. I have tried ubuntu, but with hardware problems, and never got to the desktop and suse i have tired install and burning 4 times now... i don't know if i should try bruning the image yet again or if it would even make a difference.