Fisichella to stay at Renault in 2007

Renault have announced that Giancarlo Fisichella will continue to drive for the team next year after extending his contract. It will be the Italian?s third successive season with the world champions.

"I am delighted to be staying at Renault next year, and to have the opportunity to see my hard work with the team over the past two seasons come to fruition,? said Fisichella. ?I want to thank the Renault F1 Team and the Renault Group for the trust they have placed in me. This clear vision for the future means I can focus 100% on the job at hand: retaining the constructors' championship with Renault in 2006 and finishing as high as possible in the drivers' standings."

Fisichella is currently enjoying his strongest Formula One season to date. He has twice finished on the podium this season, taking victory in Malaysia, where he also started from pole position.

"We are extremely pleased to continue working with Giancarlo next year,? said Renault team boss Flavio Briatore. ?He was an integral part of our championship success last year; he has upped his game significantly for 2006, making the team even stronger; we believe he can do it again for 2007.

?It is important for Renault to maintain continuity as we move into next year, and Giancarlo's integration with the team is now perfect. What's more, his experience with the team over two championship campaigns will be an invaluable asset. We will have ambitious targets for next season, and Giancarlo is capable of achieving them."

With Fernando Alonso heading to McLaren next season, the Formula One paddock now awaits confirmation of Fisichella?s 2007 Renault team mate.

Source

Thats a good decision from Renault. Retaining Fisico for the next season is a good idea as Alonso will leave. They need an experienced driver in the side. And Fisi didn't drive that bad that he shouldn't have been in the team. His place is deserved, and now that he will be the main driver next season at Renault (presuming that a rookie will replace Alonso and that the Rookie might be Heikki Kovalainen) Fisico's performance should rise to the level what is expected from him. This is probably the best opportunity for him to shine in his career.

I think it is very important that they keep him, changing two drivers at the same time would knock them for six I think.

Not sure how they will get on next season without Alonso though.

For all I'm enjoying this season, it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Fisi is a brilliant drive. He has been in F1 for a while now, and everyone seem's to rate him. It's just when you are in a team these day's it is more common for only one drive to shine (Alonso, Schumacher, Raikkonen) even though there are two good drivers present (Fisi, Montoya, Barrichello). In the old days when a team had a great car it was often common to see great dual's between teams, such as in the Senna Prost days.

It is possible though that Raikkonen is going to Renault though, as Fisi said his new teammate would be a Finn. But then again they have that finish test driver in Heikki Kovalainen.

I am just hoping that Louis Hamilton get's a place with McLaren for next year (Y)

I would love to see Kimi R?ikk?nen at Ferrari, Heikki Kovalainen at Renault and Lewis Hamilton at McLaren. As for JPM, his situation is quite strange. I wonder whether he will think of moving back to CART.