NeoWin Chat on IRC?

This question might have already been asked many times in the past, so sorry if I annoy a few people :s

Anyways, does Neowin have an IRC channel already? (The ones at DALnet don't look too "official" to me)

IRC would obviously not be a support place, only for getting to know the others here at Neowin. Some might think it's a stupid idea, and some might not. I just want to hear some opinions.

P.S.

No flaming please, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

there's also #neowin on irc.freenode.net (empty atm) which is imo easier to administrate than the channels on dalnet, undernet, or efnet... since you don't need any bots and channel takeovers are impossible.

yes, those channels always die after a week or so. but that's mainly because people don't stay there. last time we had a channel on quakenet there were one or two dozen people who joined, said "bah only six people here" and left again. of course the channels don't stay long. you can't expect a channel to start with 50 people right from the beginning ^_^

Originally posted by ilmcuts

there's also #neowin on irc.freenode.net (empty atm) which is imo easier to administrate than the channels on dalnet, undernet, or efnet... since you don't need any bots and channel takeovers are impossible.

DALnet do has a chanserv service :p

Originally posted by ilmcuts

yes, those channels always die after a week or so. but that's mainly because people don't stay there. last time we had a channel on quakenet there were one or two dozen people who joined, said "bah only six people here" and left again. of course the channels don't stay long. you can't expect a channel to start with 50 people right from the beginning ^_^

You are right. I use to idle in the different channels. Seemed like only five or six ppl do, the rest just pop in and out.

IMHO, this thing won't work... many people will get in just when they need help or whatever and then they'll leave again instead of staying in the chan... op's and bots will be needed to avoid this... it's a pity... what we need is a really good irc-chan just to talk about computer related stuff and peepz should stay longer in the chan than only 5 minutes...

I have been running my own IRC Server for ages, i might aswell added NEoWin to it.

This isnt the kind of IRC chat that will die over time, If i made it, it will last as long as the pyramids.

IRC server @ deep-ice.zapto.org:6667 join channel neowin

Hey all, I saw a thread about a neowin IRC server, and since there aint any good ones, or they die after a while i thought ide make one that will last for as long as i have a net connection.

This one will be arround longer than the Pyramids :D i promise

deep-ice.zapto.org port 6667 join channel neowin

Originally posted by Opio

what about efnet? I can start one if anyone wants to help me out...

I'll help you out. Join me on EFnet #neowin, and we can talk there :)

I don't know if this will make a difference, but I set up a channel for NeoWin at irc.dragonwings.org and channel #NeoWin

The javachat is at:

http://www.dragonwings.org/?javachat&channel=NeoWin

The network has services (ChanServ, NickServ, and MemoServ) so you can register your nicks and channels and not lose them.

Well, I don't know if anyone will come, but I'd thought I'd try.