Blu-Ray movie only for U$ 11.99 !

It's a shame that blu-ray movies have terrible mpeg 2 encoding and because of it look worse than hd-dvds due to lack of space for proper hd rips :(. Sorry if that's out of place. I'm just frustrated with the format, heh. But yeah that is cheap.

It's a shame that blu-ray movies have terrible mpeg 2 encoding and because of it look worse than hd-dvds due to lack of space for proper hd rips :(. Sorry if that's out of place. I'm just frustrated with the format, heh. But yeah that is cheap.

mpg2 at higher resolutions is quite good, just they take more space. I dont know the details of this terminator release but bluray does support other codecs.

"The BD-ROM format specifies at least three video codecs: MPEG-2, the standard used for DVDs; MPEG-4's H.264/AVC codec; and VC-1, a codec based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9. The first of these only allows for about two hours of high-definition content on a single-layer BD-ROM, but the addition of the two more advanced codecs allows up to four hours per layer"

http://www.answers.com/topic/blu-ray-disc

mpg2 at higher resolutions is quite good, just they take more space. I dont know the details of this terminator release but bluray does support other codecs.

"The BD-ROM format specifies at least three video codecs: MPEG-2, the standard used for DVDs; MPEG-4's H.264/AVC codec; and VC-1, a codec based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9. The first of these only allows for about two hours of high-definition content on a single-layer BD-ROM, but the addition of the two more advanced codecs allows up to four hours per layer"

http://www.answers.com/topic/blu-ray-disc

Too bad no movies have been released using other codecs. As it stands right now blu-ray is in a pathetic state. Also, even if they use vc-1 they still have pretty bad yields on sl 25GB bd's and abysmal yields on dl 50GB bd's. Dl 30GB hd-dvd's have better yields than sl 25GB bd's, are cheaper to produce, and I believe that 48/50 hd-dvd's are using vc-1 so far. Sony will just continue to use mpeg2 for all of their releases and claim superiority based on a storage "advantage" that will be non-existant in 95% of br movies for years due to cost and extremely poor yields of dl bd's. Doesn't Sony get some pretty good royalties from mpeg2 seeing how they hold a number of patents in the format?

Also, the fact that movies like Last Samurai on hd-dvd are already getting close to the 30GB cap on dl hd-dvd's when using vc-1 is not a good sign for sony. Almost all of the initial blu-ray releases are near the 25GB cap (which will be the size limit of most br movies for atleast a few years) when using the far less efficient mpeg2. They either should start using vc-1 or just do the consumer a favor and roll over and die.

Sony promised big with "real-time" killzone on PS3, and promised big on BR with demo loops that were encoded at very high bitrates due to their small size, and delivered far short of the promise on both occasions. I would like my HD movies to look better than OTA HD (OTA>Cable>Satellite because of compression) like it does on HD-DVD, rather then equal to or worse like it does on BR.

I was a blind follower of BR until reality smacked me upside the head.

Edited by SonComet